Powered by Outside

Juicy ultimates for freeriding and dh?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Juicy ultimates for freeriding and dh?
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:21 Quote
hmm, so just back maybe to the choice between the codes or the ultimates? what would you say? or any other suggestions

Mod
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:25 Quote
I would choose the Ultimates. Codes are overkill. I am sure that Code users will disagree though. Ultimates have enough power, better modulation. I've broken both Ultimate perches and Juicy perches as well as Hayes and a bunch of other. I'm sure that if I rode Codes for a bit I'd manage to break one of those also.

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:28 Quote
your best bet would be a carbon with 6 or 7 in back with 8 up front

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:28 Quote
Your LBS can order the parts by themselves.

FYI: There's no reason you can't mix and match Avid and Formula parts (or any DOT system). I've seen it done a few times. It just doesn't cross most people's minds. I think a pretty killer setup would be One calipers, Ultimate levers, Straitline blades, and Goodridge lines.

The Ultimate levers aren't any weaker then Juicies.

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:30 Quote
kakah wrote:
I would choose the Ultimates. Codes are overkill. I am sure that Code users will disagree though. Ultimates have enough power, better modulation. I've broken both Ultimate perches and Juicy perches as well as Hayes and a bunch of other. I'm sure that if I rode Codes for a bit I'd manage to break one of those also.

Codes were a HUGE letdown for me. They barely have any more power then Juicies. For the price and weight they should be amazing and they are anything but.

EDIT: To the contrary the biggest improvement Codes have over Juicies in my opinion is better modulation.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:40 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:

FYI: There's no reason you can't mix and match Avid and Formula parts (or any DOT system). I've seen it done a few times. It just doesn't cross most people's minds. I think a pretty killer setup would be One calipers, Ultimate levers, Straitline blades, and Goodridge lines.

that would be sick but super expensive, i have a goodridge line on my juicy and it cost me half as much as the whole brake

Mod
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:41 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:

I am not so sure about the swapping. I know there is some important stuff going on in relation to piston area and port size. I suspected that this was one of the issues with my Code/Ultimate combo.
I'd be hesitant to swap parts from company to company.

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:47 Quote
kakah wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

I am not so sure about the swapping. I know there is some important stuff going on in relation to piston area and port size. I suspected that this was one of the issues with my Code/Ultimate combo.

Just check the relative piston diameters. Calipers and levers are independent pieces of engineering. They are designed to work together for different characteristics. Given the same master cylinder diameter a smaller caliper piston diameter will result in more clamping force and a larger piston diameter would result in greater modulation. These characteristics would also be determined by pad surface area. I would only suggest this for someone that knows what they're are doing but it's a VERY feasible idea. I saw a guy with XT levers on Gustav calipers once and they felt AMAZING.

Mod
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:51 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
kakah wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

Just check the relative piston diameters. Calipers and levers are independent pieces of engineering. They are designed to work together for different characteristics. Given the same master cylinder diameter a smaller caliper piston diameter will result in more clamping force and a larger piston diameter would result in greater modulation. These characteristics would also be determined by pad surface area. I would only suggest this for someone that knows what they're are doing but it's a VERY feasible idea. I saw a guy with XT levers on Gustav calipers once and they felt AMAZING.

Someone out there needs to get a few sets of everything and swap some stuff around. It is tough to justify with most stock system being so good nowadays though.

Posted: Mar 19, 2008 at 12:08 Quote
id get codes mine r wicked and the weight is a big deal but u could always get juciy ultimate levers which will cut it down a bit

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010523
Mobile Version of Website