Powered by Outside

What is considered heavy for a full-suspension AM bike?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What is considered heavy for a full-suspension AM bike?
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 at 14:03 Quote
Yangpei wrote:
Hombre3000 wrote:
Yangpei wrote:
It really depends on how much travel your AM bike has and the type of riding you intend to use it for.

A 5" travel AM bike can probably range from 26-30 lbs and be used for epic rides, some racing, and occasonal drops.

A 6" travel AM bike can probably range from 29-33 lbs and be built more durable - able to handle bigger drops and more technical rides.

A 7" travel AM bike may very well weigh up to 35 or 36 lbs, depending on how it's built. You could probably use this type of bike for resort riding, shuttle rides, some pedal-intensive DH and Super D, and pretty much anything else (as long as you don't mind climbing with the beast).

I'll just say that's a bit . . . ambitious.

I don't think the weight ranges are that ambitious.

My Ellsworth Epiphany (5") with Fox 32 Float weighs 26.5 lbs with pretty light, but reasonable parts.

My Ellsworth Moment (6") with Fox 36 TALAS RLC weighs 30.9 lbs with all-mountain parts.

My Ellsworth Rogue (8") with Marzocchi 66 RC2X weighs 37 lbs with burly parts (it'll be around 36 with AM wheelset).

So, I think without stupid-light parts, you can easily build a all-mountain bike within the weights listed.

Um . . . Ellsworth is expensive. Having an Ellsworth is . . . ambitious, not to mention having three.
And how much are those worth, please?

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 20:15 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
Yangpei wrote:
Hombre3000 wrote:

I'll just say that's a bit . . . ambitious.

My Ellsworth Epiphany (5") with Fox 32 Float weighs 26.5 lbs with pretty light, but reasonable parts.

My Ellsworth Moment (6") with Fox 36 TALAS RLC weighs 30.9 lbs with all-mountain parts.

My Ellsworth Rogue (8") with Marzocchi 66 RC2X weighs 37 lbs with burly parts (it'll be around 36 with AM wheelset).

So, I think without stupid-light parts, you can easily build a all-mountain bike within the weights listed.

Um . . . Ellsworth is expensive. Having an Ellsworth is . . . ambitious, not to mention having three.

I'm not sure what they are worth, as bikes don't really hold value very well. But, I do shop very carefully - using local bike shops, online retailers, and ebay. I rarely pay full retail for bike frames. I probably spent between $3500-4500 on each bike, which isn't too bad. Actually, my road bike or my ti hardtail are both more expensive, in terms of how much they cost.

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 23:38 Quote
Yangpei wrote:
Hombre3000 wrote:
Yangpei wrote:

I'm not sure what they are worth, as bikes don't really hold value very well. But, I do shop very carefully - using local bike shops, online retailers, and ebay. I rarely pay full retail for bike frames. I probably spent between $3500-4500 on each bike, which isn't too bad. Actually, my road bike or my ti hardtail are both more expensive, in terms of how much they cost.

I hate to blind you with the scarring light of reality, but you're rich. To have $10,500 to $13,500 in bikes (not counting your other two, which are apparently more expensive) is pretty obscene for a casual rider. I sure hope you race . . .

Posted: Mar 27, 2008 at 8:55 Quote
You don't need to be rich to have $10,000 worth of bikes.

I have 4 bikes, each worth about $2,500. I am NOT rich.

How did I do it? I do not drive a car. All that gas money, insurance, etc. that everyone else throws away on car ownership is, in my case, going into the "new bike/parts" fund. So I treat myself to a new one every two years or so, and spend plenty on keeping my older rides in top shape.

Then I lend them out to people so they can drive their cars less.

But, to be on topic: My favorite ride (4" travel 2004 Giant Trance) weighs about 26 pounds- but that's with a Gravity Dropper seat post (those things are heavy).

Posted: Mar 27, 2008 at 10:40 Quote
thats an okay wieght for a DH bike but not freeride
anti-guitar-hero wrote:
Just wondering if 36-37 pounds is too much.Smile

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 at 19:45 Quote
longride wrote:
You don't need to be rich to have $10,000 worth of bikes.

I have 4 bikes, each worth about $2,500. I am NOT rich.

How did I do it? I do not drive a car. All that gas money, insurance, etc. that everyone else throws away on car ownership is, in my case, going into the "new bike/parts" fund. So I treat myself to a new one every two years or so, and spend plenty on keeping my older rides in top shape.

Then I lend them out to people so they can drive their cars less.

But, to be on topic: My favorite ride (4" travel 2004 Giant Trance) weighs about 26 pounds- but that's with a Gravity Dropper seat post (those things are heavy).

Ok, but it's the same thing. What I meant to say is "you must spend a lot of money on bicycles as if you were very rich to get bikes that light." Your bikes and that guy's are outliers in the general scope of the real world.

Posted: Mar 31, 2008 at 17:53 Quote
anything over 34 pounds is HEAVY for an all mountain bike

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012535
Mobile Version of Website