Powered by Outside

how to bleed your hayes hfx-9 fast and easy?

PB Forum :: Tutorials
how to bleed your hayes hfx-9 fast and easy?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 3, 2012 at 20:25 Quote
1) purchased two hayes part no: 98-16298, reservoir cap (optional)
2) point brake lever upwards and remove plastic plug carefully, the tighter it's in there, the more unlikely that you will need new reservoir caps
3) leave the wheels and disc pads on, bike is upright, and leaning on a wall, fence, whatever
4) at the bleeder end you will need a 6mm wrench, or atleast a 6mm socket wrench and needle nose pliers to finish releasing the nut at the right time
5) attach an empty water bottle with the top portion cut off and a sliver cut in it for a zip tie, this will catch the brake fluid.
6) attach a small piece of plastic hose (id [internal diameter] 3/8 or so, this stuff is cheap at your local hardware store, check the sizing before proceeding), slip the hose over the bleeder and zip tie it (with a tiny zip tie, find em at an electronics store)
7) use high end dot 3/4 brake fluid (have small rags on standby with rubbing alcohol for quick clean up, this stuff removes paint) (also, don't get it on your rotors or brake pads!!)
Cool feed the hose into the water bottle, only half way, not to the bottom, (you want freedom of flow here)
9) at the top, back at the lever, you will need a 60cc syringe, they're big, and a small air adapter (Sports Ball Air Inflator Needle) , the kind used to fill footballs, soccer balls, etc, the adapter, Screw that onto the 60cc syringe, check the sizing when you buy your 60cc syringe from the local pharmacist, twist it on.
10) one person is at the bleeder end, ready to lefty loosie the bleeder nut with the 6mm wrench
11) fill the syringe with fresh dot 3/4 brake fluid, squirt the extra air out
12) insert the needle into the handle end, where you removed the plug, get a paper towel to help make a good seal.
13) your helper releases the brake fluid by opening the bleeder just a bit, and you simultaneously apply fluid, don't stop, or withdraw
14) your helper is watching bubbles go by
15) squeeze the levers quickly four or five times
16) your helper will tell you when there are no more bubbles, only clear fluid
17) your helper tightens the nut, gently but firm (don't break or strip this part)
1Cool keep pressure with your needle and as you withdraw, keep firmly squeezing so upon exit, there are no bubbles or air pockets, there's a little spillage here, the brake fluid might irritate some folks, so, wash that stuff off, or grab a rag (t-shirt cloth) doused in rubbing alchohol, do not touch your eyes (it burns) or mouth
19) put the plastic plug in
20) quickly clean up spills with a rag doused in rubbing alcohol
21) squeeze the lever to check your work

tip: if your pads are too close together, remove them, then insert a allen wrench, 8mm perhaps, and wriggle it back and forth among the two pistons, do not bend the pistons, be gentle but firm, re-install your brake pads

this worked well for me

the 'real' deal is here, for the 'by the book' riders: http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/support/heritage-products/hydraulic-disc-brakes/hfx-9-hd/

Please follow this instructions at your own risk, this is not the way that this is normally done, it's usually from the bleeder nut to the exit point at the brake lever. By the way, there is a tiny, miniscule hole by the plug at the lever, this is a sort of breather hole for excess brake fluid, so, don't panic, my method is a little messy, so, don't do this somewhere with a nice floor or carpet. Also, don't panic when you are cleaning your levers a bit for a day, this stuff can get into nooks and crannies. It should be known that I had to do this, at least four times, until I got it right. I had to figure this out pretty much, so, hence, this 'backwoods' guide. Finally, I re-installed the reservoir caps because they had broken down and most importantly wouldn't hold the plastic plug any more. I hope this helps someone, even if it's helpful in showing what not to do. Good Luck.

Atlanta, Georgia USA

Posted: Oct 15, 2012 at 7:59 Quote
Check this out... http://youtu.be/_k6lefauwbE
Bleeding starts at about a minute in.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013525
Mobile Version of Website