Powered by Outside

Marzocchi 44 at Sea Otter Classic

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Marzocchi 44 at Sea Otter Classic
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 13:02 Quote
its damn smart from a marketing perspective. think about it. the all mountain guys who need as little weight as possible and dont necessarily want a 20mm axel but yet require something safer than a regular qr. its called filling a niche and I bet the 4x guys are gunna love it too! im not saying i'm in favor of it. I also know that it is a cash grab, but thats why they are here! to make money and a good product is a benifet as well. if u dont need a 20mm axel but want something more than a reg qr axel, go for the 10mm bolt through with a reg qr fork! and remember, who thought suspension forks would catch on? 1.5inch steertubes? aluminum frames? DH air shocks? single crown freeride/downhill forks? etc.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
lahouse wrote:
Some people already buy new hubs when buying a thru axle fork . Like people who don't already run thru axles might buy a 15mm axle fork, since they don't already have a 20mm hub

That is true, but it would not be necessary, in most cases, to do so if they spec'd it with a more standard size of QR

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
makripper wrote:
its damn smart from a marketing perspective. think about it. the all mountain guys who need as little weight as possible and dont necessarily want a 20mm axel but yet require something safer than a regular qr. its called filling a niche and I bet the 4x guys are gunna love it too! im not saying i'm in favor of it. I also know that it is a cash grab, but thats why they are here! to make money and a good product is a benifet as well. if u dont need a 20mm axel but want something more than a reg qr axel, go for the 10mm bolt through with a reg qr fork! and remember, who thought suspension forks would catch on? 1.5inch steertubes? aluminum frames? DH air shocks? single crown freeride/downhill forks? etc.

Anyone who was thinking.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 13:05 Quote
sherbet wrote:
makripper wrote:

Anyone who was thinking.

Also those were DRASTIC changes from the norm, not just a tweak that caused people to have yet another standard to look out for.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 15:33 Quote
Inn the comment section a guy from Marzocchi (I think) wrote this -
"This is an XC fork not a new light weight free ride fork. There is a standard 9mm QR version availible too.

As the wheel turns so does innovations, we look forward, we see that there is a need for increased stiffness in XC but without the weght penalty of a FR wheel set. Even if you look at this from the other side (XC), there is a need for a increased stiffness but without a weight penalty. So, as wheel manufacturers continue to produce cutting edge product they want to make sure that it is used for the appropriate application, like we (Marzocchi and the others) do. If you look forward you can see the need. The last thing we (or the wheel makers) want is for a super light XC wheel to get thrown on a 888 and taken out for a DH session. The lines are drawn in the sand.
If you want to go for it you can. If you want to use your older QR wheel you can. If you go to buy a “new bike” this is a viable option with a lot of performance value.

You will most likely be able to buy a 15mm wheel and have convertion adapters to go back to the “old” QR wheel.

Think about it….why do you want a road bike qr wheel on your mountain bike? Because that’s all you know….up til now. Innovations!"
What he said kinda makes sense. But for those of us without a bunch of money it still blows. 20mm for the freeride/downhill guts and 15 for XC/all mountain guys. Quick release for those road guys. That's what I think he's trying to say. And same in the back?

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 17:38 Quote
Everyone needs to stop bitching about how QR15 will never catch on. I'm willing to bet that it will. It's stiffer than a normal 9mm QR and it's not as heavy as a 20mm axel. It's not going to replace QR20 or normal 20mm hubs, but eventually it will replace the standard 9mm QR. Think about it, why did DH and freeriders stop useing 9mm QR's? Because they wanted stiffer, stronger bikes. Most XC guys ride like pansies, but they also usually spend way more than they need to to have the best, newest, most innovative crap. You watch, in 10 years, no XC/AM fork will have a 9mm QR. They will have QR15's.

As for the rest of the fork, it seems good. I've been happy with Marzo's recent new products. Sure, I like the old look better, but the new one is growing on me. It's just like the new Subaru WRX STI. It's butt ugly compared to the old one, but the longer I look at it, the less ugly it is.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 23:25 Quote
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
Everyone needs to stop bitching about how QR15 will never catch on. I'm willing to bet that it will. It's stiffer than a normal 9mm QR and it's not as heavy as a 20mm axel. It's not going to replace QR20 or normal 20mm hubs, but eventually it will replace the standard 9mm QR. Think about it, why did DH and freeriders stop useing 9mm QR's? Because they wanted stiffer, stronger bikes. Most XC guys ride like pansies, but they also usually spend way more than they need to to have the best, newest, most innovative crap. You watch, in 10 years, no XC/AM fork will have a 9mm QR. They will have QR15's.

As for the rest of the fork, it seems good. I've been happy with Marzo's recent new products. Sure, I like the old look better, but the new one is growing on me. It's just like the new Subaru WRX STI. It's butt ugly compared to the old one, but the longer I look at it, the less ugly it is.
The new WRX looks like they raided the Mazda 3 design. I'd rather have the Mazdaspeed 3. But I know what you mean, the new Marzocchi line up is growing on me for sure. and I'm sure the new 44 will be high quality and great performance, something I've lacked with my crappy Spinner fork. But the fact that I have to change my hub for this is not too impressive.

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 4:59 Quote
instead of screwing with new hubs and all, maybe they should just come out with a shim that you can put through your 20mm QR to fit the 15, and only cost like $10

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 13:16 Quote
after i thought bout it, it seem smart to do this, i mean this will eliminate the use of reg qr forks, and it will be alot stiffer feeling, but still keep the weight down to a minimun. and hub companies arent gonna be stupid and not start making shims so you can use 20mm wheels on 15mm forks. didnt mavic do something like that with the deemax?

look at the pros and cons, it seems logical

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 13:18 Quote
imo if you want stiffer then qr run 10bolt Big Grin

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 13:29 Quote
the whole industry has been splitting in to little sub-factions that are becoming more and more specialized for their specific purpose. now there is a whole wall of different parts for every discipline. street guys want this, freerideers want that, DH racers have their special stuff..... i don't care about QR15 cause it doesn't suit the stuff i ride, so its as obsolete as road parts to me and i'll never cross paths with the stuff. for the guys who want absolute low weight but a little more stiffness its probably a godsend, freeriders probably couldn't care less. 4x racers are most likely stoked, and in a world where guys have a different bike for every different kind of riding there's something for every one now. i can't be bothered to get angry about it though...
don't sweat the petty, pet the sweaty

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 13:33 Quote
I don't really understand how some of you have an issue with QR15. Why not phase out old fashioned skewer QRs for something different? I think it's a great idea. We're talking about pushing for widespread adoption on all MTB forks and XC guys will never buy into 20mm. I think a lighter (if only by an ounce) standard is a great idea. This is coming from someone who generally hates new standards.

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 14:46 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Nothing like forced obsolescence. QR15 is a damn joke. How many grams did that shave over the QR20, 10? Ridiculous.

Lightweight wheel instead of throwing a DH wheel on the front of your 27lb all-mountain bike? 4 inches of travel is still a viable market and the people running a fork at that length won't put a 20mm on the front. This lets them shave weight off the crown and arch and still have a stiff/light fork. The hug isn't going to cost anymore than any other hub and Shimano is already making a 15mm hub for the new XT and XTR groups.

I also like that they are distinguishing the fork by not allowing people to put a DH wheel on it. Obviously they are covering their asses with that one.

Makes total sense to me. If anything this makes more sense to me than a lot of other things the industry has done recently. I like it.

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:02 Quote
It might be cool to have a light 4x fork with 15mm, and maybe a street fork, dj would be pushing it tho, but possible

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:10 Quote
[Quoten]The 44 has Marzocchi’s ATA travel adjust system, lockout, compression and rebound control, and pedal platform.[/Quoten]

So, Marzocchi thought they would make their own 'Pike'?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.235223
Mobile Version of Website