Powered by Outside

Identifying Scammers

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Identifying Scammers
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 22:05 Quote
I get so many of these its annoying,so I always tell them to send me the money first and then Ill send whatever it is then i get no response.So i send them about 3 emails.

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 0:43 Quote
Here's another: nebenal

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 11:45 Quote
Here is a Scam e-mail I got today in my Pinkbike inbox.

Conversation "Hello" with favorwil

4 hours ago
favorwil says:
Dearest One,

I would like you to have a long lasting and confidant relationship with you, if possible entrusting my lifetime fortune into your possession, as now I am broken hearted and needs someone to trust, without remembering my past and forsaken experiences from close confidants and family. I need someone, who would take me for whom i am and as a lifetime partner.

However, I hope this mail meets you in good time. Strange or surprising this contact might seem to you, as we have not met personally or had any dealings in the past. I humbly ask that you take due consideration of its importance and immense benefit.

My name is Mr Favor Williams, from Guinea-Bissau. I have something very important that i would like to confide in you please,I have a reasonable amount of money inherited from my late father (12M$ Twlve Million, United States Dollar}. I want to invest in your country with a very honest person and again in a very profitable venture. I'm expecting your reply for more explanation. Please i'm eargerly waiting for your response.

My dear contact me via my email id (favorwil1@xpmail.net / favorwil1 at xpmail det net)

Thanks and God bless you.
My sincer regards to you,
Mr Favor Williams.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 21:35 Quote
jordenkeller wrote:
what if the person sends you $ 2300 too much and asks you to send it to a undisclosed location? please i really need to know ASAP

my guess is money laundering

Posted: Aug 22, 2009 at 15:37 Quote
juancisneros13 is a scammer

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 at 2:18 Quote
hy everybody,

does anybody know anything about the user deathstar11 ( http://deathstar11.pinkbike.com/ )? i "talked" to him on pb about swapping bikes : my suburban for his diesel. everything seemed just perfect, but today when i lon in on pb, i see he is a "scammer" and his profile is blocked for "x" hours because.."alternate account".

i don't know really what the word scammer means andand waht this guy did!

need an answer ASAP!

thanks!

Posted: Feb 21, 2010 at 15:20 Quote
jordenkeller wrote:
what if the person sends you $ 2300 too much and asks you to send it to a undisclosed location? please i really need to know ASAP

keep the 2300.... keep the bike and then spend the 2300 on a biking holiday or more bike parts Razz

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 22:28 Quote
New here but not new to buying off Ebay and other forums. Is there any sort of a feedback system in place here to determine whether sellers have any experience in packing or how long it takes them to get stuff they have sold to the Post Office?

If so and i have missed it Please LMK

Don

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 at 14:47 Quote
I think the 4th line on the Identifying scammers list needs a rethink -
4. Double check their join dates/forum posts/comments/friends. Odds are if they joined up 1 hour ago with no friends, forum posts, or comments they've just come on to scam you.

Im new and I joined to look and find a new/used frame at a good price, im not here to (as nasty as it sounds) make friends, leave comments or start threads, I simply joined because I was told it was a good site for saving cash on parts.

Im not trying to troll this topic but I find it rather unfair to new members.
We all love a deal but to be initiated or judged upon joining is a bit off putting.

I have made 3 attempts to buy a P1 frame from here in the past week and I have had my time wasted again and again by one or 2 members.

just to add, I always pay via paypal

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 at 11:33 Quote
Just like to identify another scammer.

Username bhf207 is a scammer. He pm'ed me saying he is interested in buying my capital, telling me to email jmshopandchek01@aol.com to give him information about the bike. I emailed him, and he came back with this email:

Hi ,
Thanks for the mail, i am buying this for my Cousin and i am a
petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore i really want this to be
a surprise gift for my Cousin so i wont let him know anything about the
this until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than
happy with it.I can only pay with PayPal here, i will need you to give
me your PayPal email address so i can make the payments asap and pls if
you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to
www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only
need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to
put the money through.for you and they will let you know how you will
get the money,tell me more about the advert,Get back to me with the
last selling price.

Note Well
PS: Pick up agent will come for the pick up as soon as i have made the
payments, i would have loved to talk to you on phone but i am a
petroleum engineer I work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig
right now due to bad weather, we can only communicate with our base for
now.
Cheers.
Jeffery.

Obviously bullshit. Then,

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me i really appreciate your response
alot,well i really want to buy the Bike for my cousin and my cousin in
US in Connecticut so the Bike will be shipping to US and i have a
picked up agent that will be picking up the Bike, i will want you to
get back to me with the last selling price of the Bike plus the paypal
bill & the Paypal email account too,so i can transfer the money into
your Paypal email account as soon as possible...hope to hear back from
you soon,
Best Regards,
Jeffery

-----Original Message-----
To: jmshopandchek01 jmshopandchek01@aol.com>
Sent: Tue, Nov 23, 2010 5:11 am
Subject: RE: Paying via PayPal transfer..................NS Capital

What is the address? I need to calculate shipping costs as well before
any payments can be made.

So there you have it. They try and make it seem legit by saying they will pay with paypal, however what they do is they pay then make a claim saying the item hasn't been received, then you lose your money and item.

THE NAME OF THE EMAIL WAS JEFFREY MORGAN, so just keep that name in mind when they email you.

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 4:37 Quote
I also think number 4 is a bit unfair.
I'm looking to get a better bike, and since I can't afford new, was told about this place, and so joined up.
Maybe this would explain why some people just aren't responding? Even to simple questions (wha size is the frame etc)

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 at 23:05 Quote
jordenkeller wrote:
Possibly a Bogus Check, you send real money back, then (weeks later) your bank comes after you for the amount deposited, + a bounce fee, and you already sent away $2300 and your precious. Maybe just deposit it and wait a while, until its really cleared, then you're only on the hook for a bank fee. Scary.

Posted: Jun 18, 2011 at 14:23 Quote
hoboroadie wrote:
jordenkeller wrote:
Possibly a Bogus Check, you send real money back, then (weeks later) your bank comes after you for the amount deposited, + a bounce fee, and you already sent away $2300 and your precious. Maybe just deposit it and wait a while, until its really cleared, then you're only on the hook for a bank fee. Scary.
Yeah the best way is deposit to your account and wait until your bank clears it.

Posted: Jun 18, 2011 at 14:42 Quote
Here One

His name is Sam lev

His message was I really appreciate your response to my email. I want you to consider it sold, Pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid disturbance,anyway I don't have time to come over to take a look because of my Business but you don't need to bother yourself with the shipment, I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a shipper, hence I'll be sending a Certified check and it will be delivered to you via United Parcel Service (UPS), so I'll need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.

Full name on the check.
Full Physical address to post the check
City, State and Zip Code
Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my shipper to come over as soon as you have cashed the check*

N.B UPS does not deliver to a P.O box addresses.Thanks

After I gave him my information he sent me the payment for my motorcycle. But I notice he gave me 1400 extra for it and I ask him about it. He sent me this message with a different user name kin cleav

Hello
thanks for the mail,the $1400 is for the Shipper that i will come and
pick up the item in your location,i will like you to deduct your own
money out of it with an extra $100 for your running around in the
getting the check cashed.and help me get the remain send to my Shipper
so that he can come for the pick up in your location, i will like you
to act fast on this, my Shipper i will be the one to pick up the item
in your location here is the Shipper Information that you will send
the money to By Western Union Money Transfer.

Name............ Michael Williams
Address.........661 james drive
City.................Galivants Ferry
State...............SC
Zip code...........29544

after sending the money By Western Union Money Transfer. i will like you
to get back to me with this information

Senders Name..........................
Address..............................
Money Transfer Control Number{MTCN}................................
Amount Sent..............................

i will be waiting for all this information when you have send the
money to him okay.waiting to read from you.

All in all it was a bad check and the guy wanted me to send out the money before my bank cleared it

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 14:10 Quote
Anyone been running across scammers contacting you through txt?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014751
Mobile Version of Website