Powered by Outside

Santa-Cruz V10 or Cove shocker

PB Forum :: Downhill
Santa-Cruz V10 or Cove shocker
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 4:47 Quote
<Deleted photo>
this is my v10

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 14:02 Quote
its all about wat u want to do the v10 sticks to the ground and absorbs evrything aka the pirfect dh bike( i would know because i ride one ) but the shocker is a bit better on jumps. but def the v10

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 19:24 Quote
it depends on your riding style and what type of trails you ride,but i would talk to people who own these bikes and knowing they are going to be a bit biased figure out which bike performs better in which situations, and choose the bike that most fits the trails you ride, and when you get people to compare bikes from a big company and a small company thebig company is going to win because more people own them and you see them everywhere

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 20:50 Quote
it depends on what you'd be riding- the shocker has a similar system to the giant maestro suspension, which is well-known for pedal resistance, but has shorter travel; 8.5-9 in if i remember correctly. the v-10 has 10 in., and uses vpp suspension. i have not ridden a shocker, but v-10s are an experience to ride.
frankly, my choice would be the v-10, because it has better "flickable" geometry than the shocker. plus the added travel will add a little more confidence to whatever you may happen to be hucking yourself off.

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 0:14 Quote
Actually the Shocker has 8.75" of travel so that's an extra 1.25" for the V-10. Do you reckon you will notice that? I didn't when I tried them both but I did notice how much more reliable the Shocker was and that's an important factor that people forget when they get carried away with weight saving. Remember that most recreational riders do not have a team mechanic and free repairs at the end of each run. Another factor is size of company and celebrity riders. Just like loads of people went out and bought Iron Horse Sundays because of SH without even riding one first. If they had they wouldn't have to complain all the time about the bottom bracket being too low etc. Now SH is about to leave IH then suddenly we will see lots of Sundays up for sale!

Ride them all on a proper downhill trail. Then make up your mind.

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 0:33 Quote
1.25" is fairly large difference.

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 0:39 Quote
Either way there both great bikes.

The shocker from my experience so far is great it feels bottomless, I think I Bottomed it once and thats from a drop basically to flat at sun peaks, Apart from that one time its never bottomed or felt close to bottoming, It tracks so well over rocks and roots etc.

I really like my shocker and probley wont change for a couple seasons. But I wouldnt mind trying out a v10 for a week just to compare.

Whichever bike you choose you will be happy so good luck on your descision.

TZ

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 7:21 Quote
ilikemybike011 wrote:

1.25" is a large difference on a 5" travel bike, but when you get into 8"+ the effects of that difference are much more subtle.

It's all about quality of travel, not the amount.

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 12:41 Quote
dave-m wrote:
ilikemybike011 wrote:

1.25" is a large difference on a 5" travel bike, but when you get into 8"+ the effects of that difference are much more subtle.

It's all about quality of travel, not the amount.

It's still quite a large difference and it will be noticeable.....

I'm not saying the V-10 is a better bike because it has more travel either.

FL
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 12:52 Quote
lelgtjumper wrote:
<Deleted photo>
this is my v10

I'd like to give your v-10 a shocker.

nate

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 at 17:19 Quote
That is my dream bike, and it's a large too. I'm saving up for that frame.

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 at 17:36 Quote
I've ridden both for a considerable amount of time, here is what it came down to for me.

The V-10 is better suited to a rider so prefers to pedal more often and do a little bit of monster trucking.

The Shocker is better suited to a rider with more finesse who prefers to pump their way through trails to maintain speed.

I have found that the Shocker turns and jumps a little better for me. If I were a full-blown racer, I would go for a V-10. That said, I only race on occasion and like a bike with a little more feedback, so I'm on a Shocker.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 6:41 Quote
Most DH bikes have between 8 and 9 inches of travel which is all anyone needs. The V10 has 10" because of it's amount of sag. Therefore i agree 1.25" is not the difference between the two bikes. I love them both respectively.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 7:00 Quote
wtt-tmr wrote:
I have a dilema with my friend wich bike is better between the V10 and the Shocker

thats because you and your friend are morons. there is no clearcut answer. they are both great bikes. each have great qualities and area where each will outshine the other. this is like arguing coca cola is better than pepsi. but im sure this thread will help you guys solve your mental battle.

you guys should give each other shockers!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015508
Mobile Version of Website