Powered by Outside

Best bang for your buck R derailleur?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Best bang for your buck R derailleur?
Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 20:26 Quote
SRAM is the best. good adjustability and snappy shifts. i run an X.7 and it's so crisp. i got mine for about 50 bucks

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 21:37 Quote
Do i need any special shifters for the XT M772? Its 30 Euros. So around 54.45$ CA i think or around that. So at the max this would cost me 90$. I'll check the X.0

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 21:52 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:
Do i need any special shifters for the XT M772? Its 30 Euros. So around 54.45$ CA i think or around that. So at the max this would cost me 90$. I'll check the X.0

go ape shit and get the XTR shifter. just do it, i did it and i know i won't regret it. so amped!

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 7:48 Quote
Or i could get this brand new derailleur https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/330701/ for around 55$. Should i get that one or get the XT M772?

I think i'll go XT Shadow. Just the fact to pay more, have a derailleur that will look smexy and will last longer!

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 8:09 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:
Or i could get this brand new derailleur https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/330701/ for around 55$. Should i get that one or get the XT M772?

I think i'll go XT Shadow. Just the fact to pay more, have a derailleur that will look smexy and will last longer!

buy something from a bike store. you get a warranty, you get service, and you get reliability. not to mention you can check out the product before commiting. I'm probably going to be picking up my ride with my new XT shadow (and XTR shifter, Truvativ Boxguide, and Rockshox DOMAIN 318!!! amped!!!)

and i will keep you updated on how sweet the deraileur is/problems/advantages. But right now i have no doubts that it will be extremely good.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 8:10 Quote
I think i'll order it tomorrow night and later next season i'll maybe get a better shifter. I'll stay with my okay ell cheapos shifter for now Razz Saving up for a Pit bike so trying to keep costs low Razz

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 8:14 Quote
thats understandable but according to the expert at cyclepath, the shifter is the most important part on your drivetrain because it really does do all the work. he said go big with the shifter and save a little money on the deraileur. that's why i went for the xt shadow for about 130, and the XTR shifter for 160 (although those were just the starting prices and i got a big deal on the whole thing Big Grin )
BUT in my opinion the deraileur is very important as well because nobody likes a huge hunk of plastic banging around back there. something small and tight as hell like the shadow is a good decision.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 8:20 Quote
merkel wrote:
thats understandable but according to the expert at cyclepath, the shifter is the most important part on your drivetrain because it really does do all the work. he said go big with the shifter and save a little money on the deraileur. that's why i went for the xt shadow for about 130, and the XTR shifter for 160 (although those were just the starting prices and i got a big deal on the whole thing Big Grin )
BUT in my opinion the deraileur is very important as well because nobody likes a huge hunk of plastic banging around back there. something small and tight as hell like the shadow is a good decision.

Well hes right in a way and wrong in an other. The derailleur is more important because its the part that takes all the abuse, it moves went you drop, gets hit when you fall and many other things. So in my mind, if you want a good shifting system, the derailleur is more important because if it can't take abuse, it won't last long no matter how good the shifters. Yes the shifters will make a difference, but the shifters don't take the abuse such as the derailleur does. Plus, i'd rather have a derailleur that works great, is solid and looks awesome and pay more for that than a shifter that you barely see, that you pay a sh*t load of money for and that i won't make a HUGE difference. As long as you're using a good shifter, you won't have problems. No matter how good the shifters are, its never the shifters that screw up, its the derailleur since it goes through so much abuse.

Its like a car, is the important part the shifter or the transmition?

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 8:24 Quote
touche... but maintenance of the deraileur depends partly on how you handle it shifting, which is based mainly on the shifter's quality. you're right, the shifter rarely gets messed up, but i doubt an XTR Shifter is going to throw your deraileur into your spokes.

But the main reason you want a really good quality shifter is that when you shift up or down you don't want clanking, skipping, derailment. The shifter might not break, but it sure can break you lol Wink

and everybody loves shifting up 3 times and not hearing or especially feeling anything Big Grin

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 8:51 Quote
if your looking for the best bang for your buck go with the sram x-7. of course remember it isn't compatable with shimano shifters. i like sram derailleurs. if find them stiff. they don't get all loose and jiggly like shimanos do. if you are going with a shimano derailleur go with LX. it is pretty good value.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 8:54 Quote
i got a x9 and all it has took is one scrape with a rock and now it wont shift into 9th gear,invest in decent shifters and get cheap mech's.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 8:57 Quote
Well they say i should use a rapide fire shifter, but i know i don't absolutly need that shifter, but i'll see. Because i can get the XT M772 for 68$. Thats an insanely good price. But i'll go check my bike shop tomorrow and see what kind of derailleur he could get me, and if i could get something good for not to much, i'll check into getting a good shifter.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 8:59 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:
Well they say i should use a rapide fire shifter, but i know i don't absolutly need that shifter, but i'll see. Because i can get the XT M772 for 68$. Thats an insanely good price. But i'll go check my bike shop tomorrow and see what kind of derailleur he could get me, and if i could get something good for not to much, i'll check into getting a good shifter.

xtr shifters are super smooth and light action,coupled with an xt mech or lx you cant go wrong.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 9:01 Quote
marquis wrote:
Graphxxx wrote:

xtr shifters are super smooth and light action,coupled with an xt mech or lx you cant go wrong.

Thanks man,
I'll check the XTR out. I think i'll go with the XT M772 derailleur. Only thing is its coming from UK, but i don't mind that. The price is the best i could get. I'll check for the XTR shifters, tomorrow i'll ask my LBS what derailleur they could get, if they don't have what i'm looking for, i'll ask him how much a XTR rear shifter would cost me.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 9:02 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:
marquis wrote:
Graphxxx wrote:

Thanks man,
I'll check the XTR out. I think i'll go with the XT M772 derailleur. Only thing is its coming from UK, but i don't mind that. The price is the best i could get. I'll check for the XTR shifters, tomorrow i'll ask my LBS what derailleur they could get, if they don't have what i'm looking for, i'll ask him how much a XTR rear shifter would cost me.

is that from crc.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011095
Mobile Version of Website