Which universities have downhill tracks close at hand?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Which universities have downhill tracks close at hand?
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 20:15 Quote
Appalachian State. Boone, North Carolina. Year round riding season. About 15 shuttleable DH trails with more than 2000ft of vert within 30 minutes of downtown. MILES AND MILES of epic AM riding. Tons of good FR terrain. Varied terrain. Cool scene. Good shops. Good pot. What more do you need?

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 20:17 Quote
gabodude wrote:
Montreal has the best University in the country, McGill, and it's 45 minutes away from Bromont and 3 hours from Mont St-Annes.

Montreal also has great nightlife, gorgeous women, booming music scene, safe neighborhoods (considering it's population) It's also incredibly multi-ethnic.

Check it out!
but montreals french

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 12:35 Quote
chaeron wrote:
fallen55 wrote:
However we need a little more info, such as ur planned program, ur average.

Well, I want to study mechanical engineering, and i did the International Baccalaureate in which i got 33 points, 6 in Math SL, 5 in Physics HL and 5 in Chemistry HL, which i guess are the important ones when wanting to study Engineering.

All in all, from the feedback given here it seems that British Columbia has the best riding in Canada. I think that whatever university i go to, it will out do where i am living now in biking terms where the closest real resort is 10 hours drive away.

question for Djbuilder: Does it take 45 mins from UBC vancouver to closest downhill track by bike or by bus?

And another question, how long does it take to drive up to Kelowna or Kamloops from UBC vancouver?

Thanks guys, this feedback is really helpful. keep it coming!

Well from UBC campus it is about a 45 minute drive to the shore because you have to go through alot of suburban area that is stop and go. You can throw your bike on the bus but that takes about 1hr and a half and you have to go through the downtown eastside. There is the three mountains in that range (Cypress, Fromme and Seymour) but then there is also mountains up the valley such as Vedder, Woodlot and Ledgeview which also have amazing riding, but are further away. It seems like the group of riders at UBC is growing and someone will be willing to drive somewhere any one of these weekends. Whistler is 2 hrs away as mentioned and Squamish is half way which I have recently discovered has some knarly trails. Kelowna is also sick and I haven't ridden kamploops yet but they are both about a 4-5hr drive from Vancouver. Hope this helps on your descisions.

Posted: Oct 12, 2008 at 10:43 Quote
chaeron wrote:
fallen55 wrote:

Well, I want to study mechanical engineering, and i did the International Baccalaureate in which i got 33 points, 6 in Math SL, 5 in Physics HL and 5 in Chemistry HL, which i guess are the important ones when wanting to study Engineering.

All in all, from the feedback given here it seems that British Columbia has the best riding in Canada. I think that whatever university i go to, it will out do where i am living now in biking terms where the closest real resort is 10 hours drive away.

question for Djbuilder: Does it take 45 mins from UBC vancouver to closest downhill track by bike or by bus?

And another question, how long does it take to drive up to Kelowna or Kamloops from UBC vancouver?

Well im not sure hows those marks translate into the Canadian system
(we use percents). And as for the Mechanical Engineering, there are several great programs, the best prolbably being at Queens, Waterloo, n UBC. (McGill isnt well known for engineering. It is also the most expensive school in Canada by a long shot, especially for international students) UBC vancouver is about 5 hours away i believe from kelowna, n probably 2 hours on top of that to kamloops, but thats just a guess, if anyone knows the excat times feel free to correct me.

Posted: Oct 12, 2008 at 13:52 Quote
fallen55 wrote:
chaeron wrote:
fallen55 wrote:

(we use percents). And as for the Mechanical Engineering, there are several great programs, the best prolbably being at Queens, Waterloo, n UBC. (McGill isnt well known for engineering. It is also the most expensive school in Canada by a long shot, especially for international students) UBC vancouver is about 5 hours away i believe from kelowna, n probably 2 hours on top of that to kamloops, but thats just a guess, if anyone knows the excat times feel free to correct me.

Like four h ours from kelowna... .and kelownas kick ass

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 at 14:00 Quote
chaeron wrote:
Hi everyone,
Now that i have finished school, i need to start applying for universities.
Seeing as i am not going to any university without my downhill bike, i would like to know where in the whole of Canada, there are universities with downhill tracks close at hand. I know that UBC has Whistler 4 hours away, but are there any closer tracks?
All help is greatly appreciated!'
thanks
Guy
hahahaha funny, whistler is like 30mins away, well my dad can do it in 30mins. and there is plenty of beautiful riding around here, also capilano university (formerly cap college), and teh fraser valley university.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 at 14:02 Quote
konabikerjohn wrote:
fallen55 wrote:
chaeron wrote:

Like four h ours from kelowna... .and kelownas kick ass
Only 33 points, wow man (my friends were all IB so i know what u mean) and erm, 33 points IB is great, but the local kids have better marks than u. so.... You will get in though.

Posted: Oct 13, 2008 at 6:08 Quote
nishnash wrote:
Only 33 points, wow man (my friends were all IB so i know what u mean) and erm, 33 points IB is great, but the local kids have better marks than u. so.... You will get in though.

how many points did your friends get then?

thanks for all the help guys. i think i might just apply for universities in BC. not only because of the great biking, but because they also have good reputations!

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 at 13:36 Quote
herm, the best person I know got 6points X 8 courses, so about 48, I know there was a 52 at my old school last year though.

Honestly though, don't worry I know for a fact that UBC accepts most if not all people who have taken IB, just because of how great it is.

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 5:59 Quote
hmm, thats strange, in the IB that we did the max. amount of points is 45.
but anyway, ive checked the requirements and i think im ok!

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 11:33 Quote
nishnash wrote:
chaeron wrote:
Hi everyone,
Now that i have finished school, i need to start applying for universities.
Seeing as i am not going to any university without my downhill bike, i would like to know where in the whole of Canada, there are universities with downhill tracks close at hand. I know that UBC has Whistler 4 hours away, but are there any closer tracks?
All help is greatly appreciated!'
thanks
Guy
hahahaha funny, whistler is like 30mins away, well my dad can do it in 30mins. and there is plenty of beautiful riding around here, also capilano university (formerly cap college), and teh fraser valley university.

Well considering whistler is 123km from Vancouver I doubt your dad is driving the sea to sky at 246km/hr along a winding road with single lane traffic in most areas, but nice try. Unless of course you don't actually live in Vancouver.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
North vancouver baby, and we did it in like 30mins-45 mins,

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 19:31 Quote
nishnash wrote:
North vancouver baby, and we did it in like 30mins-45 mins,
No you didn't, sorry. Time it next time, if you hit 1hr 15min you're flying.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 19:54 Quote
UCSC (university of santacruz, CA)

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 20:02 Quote
uvm (university of vermont) close to highland, mt snow, a few other mountains and plenty of local trails with dirt jumps and stuff. sick school too

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021833
Mobile Version of Website