Powered by Outside

dirt jump track in ontario

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
dirt jump track in ontario
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 18:45 Quote
You would legally need insurance weather you charged people or not. The only thing is if you charged it would be an illegal buisness. NOT that I'm a lawyer, I have just heard bad stories. (John Cowan's jumps were plowed due to an injurie) I would do it if I had the room, and I would expect the guy's I let ride to chip in for expences, just hope you never have to call 911.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 21:35 Quote
i'd personally not make a public announcement about building djs on my land and inviting everyone to come on over. Too much work would have to be put in to sustain them.

What i would do is invite people over time, but they can only ride the djs if they aren't complete douche-bags and after they are finished maybe 8 hours of work on the djs. And after that they must promise to help out with maintaining the djs and not being hacks on if they want to continue to ride on them. And over time more and more people will come, and the jumps will just become better and better as more people help out.

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 18:16 Quote
hey i think i know where u live , do u live on st. paul st west? cause if u do i drive by your house and i really want to help in building you dj's my friend alex would also love to help to!

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 15:52 Quote
no i dont live on st. paul street west, i live in north end, and im probably building them in vineland in the spring

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 19:52 Quote
You bud owns the land so its private, and your charging people, so your going to need insurance cause if someone gets hurt then its on your ass in court (if they choose to press charges) by the looks of things there is no way you can do this and make money off of it. However building jumps and just spending money for you and your friends is ok. This has happened to my friend with a paintball arena and another with a miniramp. that's the only way to do it.

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 20:00 Quote
tell me if im wrong this is just a shot in the dark but could he get a waiver thing and get epople to sign it saying like no inguries are respinsible of the builders or mainters of the jumps the ride knows what he/she is doing and risking or something rather would you still need insurance and if so for what purpose if someone jumped with out a waiver? built a 10 foot high fench with barbed wire and put spikes along the outs side of the fence so people couldnt cut their way in Razz

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 20:01 Quote
danaucoin wrote:
i would pay to get and i would build for free 2. I have a quad(atv) so i could get around and move would and that other kinda stuff

Your kidding rightEek , if you meant to say wood, thats sad. Any who, that sounds awesome but would suck if someone got hurt and then you got sued and stuff. Maybe you could make up a liability form so people sign so you are not responsible if they get hurt?, oops!, just read the comment above me, good idea though

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 20:16 Quote
I know a kid who does the same thing as that except he doesn't charge, he has wavers for any one that jumps there you have to sign them to jump there, very legal and stuff so any way. be sure you get a waver because mistakes happen in places like this and DJ is one of those things where mistakes can lead to broken bones. other than that i think that this is a great idea and could make you some money (or at least pay off the cost of building.) The charging them may need a business license or something. sounds like a great idea over all.

if you have a run in make sure it is a rounded roll in not just flat to steep, those can clip pedals and buck people (speaking from experience(18ft to head for a jolly 2 week hospital say with 3 fractured vertebra and a lacerated liver and a few other problems)) so take into account that even if all you let into the park are good riders mistakes DO happen. try to make it so those mistakes don't lead to major damage
EG: smooth the run in, lips and landings, close the park in heavy rains, make sure only you and other trusted people have access to tools, keep them debris free(in gaps and other areas) be sure you know the people that go there are good enough for the skill level.

Dirt

PS try to have so good areas where you can take photos. then you could have pros dropping by for photo shoots or even just have good shots for your self in videos/ pictures. Good luck with this idea, i hope it works out.

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 9:47 Quote
i have dirtjumps in my backyard and i only let my friends ride them because there is way to much liability. even with the proper signage(private property, ride at own risk, keep out) and fences people can still sue you for trespassing on your land and getting hurt on your jumps. If i were you i would just build the ramps for private use only. if you want to build a set that everyone can ride go build them on public property and get a bunch of people out to help build.

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 9:58 Quote
photo

No dirt jumps in Ontario? Welcome to London.
Although Im not sure how much longer they will be around. If you had something like this in St. Catherines Id be down to ride it.

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 10:01 Quote
hey i'm in london often. just wondering if I could get directions to those jumps??

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 11:59 Quote
same im from sarnia im there alot actually but where are those me and sume buds have got to check em out

Posted: Nov 16, 2007 at 13:45 Quote
yea those are some pretty sick jumps. doubt that ill charge people or even let people that i dont know ride, thanks for the comments tho. peace

-tyler

Posted: Nov 16, 2007 at 15:20 Quote
bikerbyday1234 wrote:
tell me if im wrong this is just a shot in the dark but could he get a waiver thing and get epople to sign it saying like no inguries are respinsible of the builders or mainters of the jumps the ride knows what he/she is doing and risking or something rather would you still need insurance and if so for what purpose if someone jumped with out a waiver?

The only way for this to work is if it you paid a lawyer/attorney to draft you a waiver specifically aimed at your establishment and its risks. For a $5/person operation this wouldn't be the least bit practical due to the man hours and cost involved.

If you use a generic waiver form and something serious does happen, any dim witted attorney could circumvent the waiver and leave you open. Its not just as simple as getting someone to sign off that they won't hold you liable in the event of an accident.

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 16:05 Quote
thankyou mr. scientist.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017562
Mobile Version of Website