Powered by Outside

New Bike Shop in Winnipeg

PB Forum :: Canada - Central
New Bike Shop in Winnipeg
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 18:33 Quote
Nice lol im takin Futures in Business too and start your own business. I really dont learn alot and im sitting at 97 percent XD

Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 18:44 Quote
Stoyka wrote:
Nice lol im takin Futures in Business too and start your own business. I really dont learn alot and im sitting at 97 percent XD

Its like the easiest class ever for me! I just get ahead and either game or go on pinkbikeWink haha

Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 19:25 Quote
claaton wrote:
Stoyka wrote:

Its like the easiest class ever for me! I just get ahead and either game or go on pinkbikeWink haha
what school?

Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 19:31 Quote
p2fever wrote:
claaton wrote:
Stoyka wrote:

what school?
Vincent Massey

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 6:08 Quote
I know that wpgrider hasnt even commented on Gords being open and what thats gonna bring so we shouldnt get our hopes up about anything. I noticed that in the canada east forum a guy put up a survey for a bike park in toronto. Im curious if the City would be willing to put money into making a bike park (indoor). I doubt it because they government is cheap and they need that money for their fancy cars but ya never know. Instead of asking wpgrider to get more money we could do it as a community. I think that if we got like a 1000 signatures or somewhere around there they might consider it. Because really, i was just playing around with some prices and it really wouldnt be that much no? Somewhere around 50-60K for the ramps and everything like that and like 5K a month rent or around there.

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 10:05 Quote
good response.
Gord's reopening is not an issue. We feel the need for an alternative to the crap out there.
There are a couple good shops, and a whole lot of bad. So stay tuned.

As for a park, we looked into it. Asked the city, however, they said the risk for injury is too high and they don't want anything to do with it.
But if we do some research and there is enough interest, definately a go.

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 10:08 Quote
Also, i'm not sure if it's feasible with the size of the wpg riding community.
So lets say operating costs at a park are about 9 G's, which include rent, salaries, insurance, overhead, interest and principal. Where is the 9's coming from? I don;t think there is enough interest.
thoughts?

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 13:37 Quote
Yeah 9 G's would be something difficult to work out in the first few months just before a business would take off. One possibility would be like i said earlier, charge a flat rate or offer member ships etc. That will get some cash right off the top but definetly not 9 g's, which you would need before hand anyway.

So the city said they wouldnt want to put money into it, or that they didnt want one put up at all? Which confuses me because almost everyother city has one, or at least im sure they do. Maybe make a survay just like the guy in the Toronto forums did, and make em email the response back to you. Just an idea, but its your choice boss.

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 14:17 Quote
As I said earlier, where do you want to open this shop?

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 17:56 Quote
Also to add to my earlier reply, about when do you plan to open up shop? Because i need some parts and my friend is lookin to buy a Brodie Cretin, first customers for the win! Wink

Posted: Nov 28, 2008 at 12:50 Quote
umm risk for injury make it like whistler and make them sign a weiver saying that if they break (anything bike or bones)or die then we are not responsible for any thing or w/e you know
and at a skate park its ride at your own risk so why is the city concerned about this?
dont do indor skate park do indoor dj's its almost 1/2 the price and you could have a trail crew that every morring they come in and groom
as for the bike shop i would totally buy shit for those comapnys
also you need to get HOPE products and industry nine wheels no f*ckin' shop in winnipeg deals with them

Posted: Nov 28, 2008 at 13:05 Quote
vegas- wrote:
umm risk for injury make it like whistler and make them sign a weiver saying that if they break (anything bike or bones)or die then we are not responsible for any thing or w/e you know

people still find ways around that to steal your money

Posted: Nov 28, 2008 at 13:38 Quote
csuderman wrote:
vegas- wrote:

people still find ways around that to steal your money
fine print saying riders are responsible for everything but calling the ambulance

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 15:33 Quote
I am an ex-winnipeg seeking to find my way back to the peg. As for your business my wife and I were wondering the same thing. Can a bike shop make it in the Peg? what would be required? I am a business person and first things first remove your emotions from the decision. Really be as objective as possible. When working with clients I ask them to really "look before they leap", be willing to "burst their bubble" and be prepared to "change their target". Business is about passion and profit. Love what you do and make money at it. If Gord's went under, why? find out as mush as you can. Be clear on the competition. The real competition. In cowtown people like to buy bikes between 300 and 500 dollars. These are the middle class with families who want to do some riding, have a nice bike (questionable at that price) and want to think they are bikers (trying to get the belly off). I would want to know what the city is doing to go e-green? Some Euro cities are going with a 40/60 percent requirements for bikes vs cars on the roads. What's up with the local mla and city politics. There are some interesting re-tro and re-vitalization stuff in the Peg that could be hooked into. Maybe? Loaction is everything along with a niche. A strong niche that will seek you out because you are tbe best. I would want to know how the market is segmented demographically and psychograpically.

good luck

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017916
Mobile Version of Website