Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Cheap DH forks, road cassettes and derailleurs???

PB Forum :: Downhill
Cheap DH forks, road cassettes and derailleurs???
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 5:19 Quote
I've been running Shimano cassettes (DA 11-23) as they seem the best. Could grab an Ultegra cassette and 105 rear derailleur. The roadie cassettes are somewhat annoying. I find I have to shift multiple times to find the gear I'm looking for. May try reducing the gears to 6 on it for next season.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 6:17 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
I've been running Shimano cassettes (DA 11-23) as they seem the best. Could grab an Ultegra cassette and 105 rear derailleur. The roadie cassettes are somewhat annoying. I find I have to shift multiple times to find the gear I'm looking for. May try reducing the gears to 6 on it for next season.

nearly the same as wilson but i run the 12-23,but i dont dh so use it more for everything,with a 32 up front.

i had the 07 888 rc2xva with 170mm travel and that thing felt bottomless for my 220ish with gear,and strong enough to dent my stinky and laugh it off.

the va helps stiffen up the fork

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 7:39 Quote
i have no interest in derraileurs. i use what the bike came with, and i replace things when they break. if truvativ came out with a hammerschmidt for the front and back, i would be eternally happy with 4 reliable gears if they were spaced well.

my 888 was on extra heavy springs of course, and i think i threw some 15 weight oil in that fork too. i didn't even ride my v10 once this year. booo

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 8:46 Quote
obee1 wrote:
i didn't even ride my v10 once this year. booo

Yeah I hear you. I only had my kingfisher out for one day this year, and that's exactly why I want to really differentiate her build-up from the 6.6, and have a more DH/gravity park set-up that I can drag around to the chair lifts all summer. I don't need to make too many changes (i'm keeping it $en$ible), but I wanna trim some bits here and there.
I think a more DH specific fork will make a real difference in handling and rider confidence tho'.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 10:35 Quote
shondo wrote:
obee1 wrote:
i didn't even ride my v10 once this year. booo

Yeah I hear you. I only had my kingfisher out for one day this year, and that's exactly why I want to really differentiate her build-up from the 6.6, and have a more DH/gravity park set-up that I can drag around to the chair lifts all summer. I don't need to make too many changes (i'm keeping it $en$ible), but I wanna trim some bits here and there.
I think a more DH specific fork will make a real difference in handling and rider confidence tho'.

i was thinking about this and the demo7 does a lot of things well(enough) for me. its my resort bike, my big mountain bike, my hike a bike, my do it all kinda bike. i didn't ride any other bike last summer and i own a DJ and an XC bike too. your 6.6 is a better all round bike, but i don't care about bike weight or climb-a-bility, if theres a hill i can't ride up, i walk up. i'm in no rush really.
besides, our crew's fave riding/drinking is resort stuff, and we take it easy.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 10:46 Quote
the boxxer is light weight race fork probably a little more expensive.
on the other hand the 888 will be a litttle heavier and a littl more durable under 260lbs.
for your rider weight and resort needs i would definitely go with the 888

good luck!

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 16:50 Quote
I've got a line on a set of 2002 Shivers, new in the box. the price is....well...very good, let's say.
Any point in pursuing those? Any of you guys ride those back in the day?

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 17:05 Quote
id rather have shivers than any of the 09/08 marzz stuff. there no were as durable as the 05/06 and some 07 stuff. id go for the boxxers. i run a 40 and couldent be happier, and my friend runs a 2008 boxxer race. really good aswell

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 17:11 Quote
lcstay10 wrote:
id rather have shivers than any of the 09/08 marzz stuff. there no were as durable as the 05/06 and some 07 stuff. id go for the boxxers. i run a 40 and couldent be happier, and my friend runs a 2008 boxxer race. really good aswell

I've pretty well ruled out boxxers, I can't seem to find any potential source for the proper spring rates to suit my needs. I think the 888 may be a better match for a few reasons, but if these shivers can be set up properly, I might bite.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 17:12 Quote
shondo wrote:
lcstay10 wrote:

I've pretty well ruled out boxxers, I can't seem to find any potential source for the proper spring rates to suit my needs. I think the 888 may be a better match for a few reasons, but if these shivers can be set up properly, I might bite.
iv seen some scarry 08 marzz fr/dh stuff come into my shop. idk i would try to find some 06 888s if i was you

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 17:14 Quote
shondo wrote:
I've got a line on a set of 2002 Shivers, new in the box. the price is....well...very good, let's say.
Any point in pursuing those? Any of you guys ride those back in the day?

I used to ride shivers (the 2004 model though, I'm not sure if they changed internally). They felt great. Very plush and stiff considering it was an inverted fork. I assume you are not overly concerned about weight but shivers are on the heavy side. At the time they were overkill for me. That said, at the time I was about 100lbs ligther than you though...

I would not revert back to such an old fork. You may be pressed to find spares by now. If I were you I would invest in a 2005 888RC or 2006 RC2X. In terms of durability and performance they are the two best Marzocchi forks ever made.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 18:17 Quote
Shivers will be tough to get even seals for. I know people who buy stores out of them when they find them.

As for cassettes/ders, I gotta say new saint. The saint isnt cheap, but they are making a short cage that has a setting for mountain and one for road cassettes. They shift great. Im impressed with the new design, eventhough its not axle mount anymore Madder

Cassette- youre paying for weight on road cassettes. I havent run into one that has shifted poorly. I tend to stick to sram cassettes with shimano or wipperman chains. Ive found it far too easy to pull pins out of a sram, and the shimano chain shifts very well on the sram cassette.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 19:42 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Shivers will be tough to get even seals for. I know people who buy stores out of them when they find them.

yeah, I've considered this too. I would likely be asking for trouble. It would be really unique seeing a New Shiver on that frame....but I am leaning towards trying to find an 888. I may look for an uncut/new 2006 or 2007.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 19:52 Quote
shondo wrote:
lcstay10 wrote:

My friend ended up having to rebuild them with MotoX internals... (according to him). They are flexy though. Like even I can feel that and that's saying something.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 19:55 Quote
I dropped my 05' 888's for an 02' Shiver. That fork was awesome. Did nothing to it in the three years I owned it and it never missed a beat.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015888
Mobile Version of Website