Powered by Outside

What do you do about homeless people?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
What do you do about homeless people?
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 8:30 Quote
Make them Cheerleaders? Support is always good..

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 8:31 Quote
tell them they can stay if they help you build

Posted: Dec 17, 2008 at 17:50 Quote
every good trail has some homeless homies, be chill and if your comfortable get to know them. my trails have a couple homeless dudes that i like alot better than some of the people that come to ride my trails. its christmas time and these people have it hard enough as it is as long as they dont cause any actual problems just let it be

Posted: Dec 17, 2008 at 18:01 Quote
They're fun to bunny hop over.

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2008 at 18:11 Quote
i say build a village gap... anyone else

Posted: Dec 17, 2008 at 18:20 Quote
They're people just like you. Just ride past them or say hey as you go by. They're not like a different species, they won't try to attack you and nibble on your leg for food. What laurie said was pretty narrow minded, just because they're homeless doesn't mean they have substance abuse issues. With the failing economy, for all you know, one of them could be your old neighbour.

Posted: Dec 17, 2008 at 18:24 Quote
crkt wrote:
every good trail has some homeless homies, be chill and if your comfortable get to know them. my trails have a couple homeless dudes that i like alot better than some of the people that come to ride my trails. its christmas time and these people have it hard enough as it is as long as they dont cause any actual problems just let it be
Hear Hear
Just because they are homeless doesn't necessarily mean that they are unsavory people (there some though) but the majority are just trying to get by. In my city we have a very low vacancy rate less then 1% and rent has sky rocketed leaving a lot of people on the streets as they can't afford rent. Also have you ever wondered how difficult to get a job without an address or phone number to give potential employers and when you do eventually get a job will you be able to get there on time regularly as you still don't have a roof, alarm clock, food, or reliable transportation?
Yes drugs and alcohol run rampant with homeless people but when you are getting nowhere no matter how hard you try it gets a person down and that can lead to substance abuse (depression sucks).
Try to look at it in their position and try to have a little empathy/sympathy, as everyone was a stroke of bad luck to varying degrees.

Posted: Dec 17, 2008 at 18:24 Quote
^ true that, i know this one homeless guy that lives in the bushes in a legit little house that he built himself. hes a smart guy, even has a college graduation certificate hanging on the wall. i dont know what his deal is and why hes homeless but whatever it is its not substance abuse. even the ones that are on the street due to alcoholism etc doesnt mean they end up like those zombies in resident evil. theres some homeless guys that are real cool dudes, if you dont feel like getting to know them or they dont feel like getting to know you that doesnt mean you have to get them kicked off and harassed by authority

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2008 at 18:31 Quote
i have worked with people that where homeless and the one thing the told me was that they have had nothing to look forward to so they turned to drugs and alchoal but when i work with them they are absoultly the same as everyone else... may be a lil tougher

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 18:37 Quote
edeltraught wrote:
Get out the gun
No! build a ramp to jump over them, then they have a place to get out of the rain.

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 18:38 Quote
mcl1964 wrote:
edeltraught wrote:
Get out the gun
No! build a ramp to jump over them, then they have a place to get out of the rain.

LOL

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 19:28 Quote
we've got a guy in town that most people think is homeless. he spends every day rain or shine following the same route around town collecting cans from garbage or businesses. thats how he makes a living. he has a house and bank account and friends and he's a super nice guy. he just doesn't want to pay taxes out of his paycheck cause he hates the gov't so he doesn't get a legit job.

as for your problem..build a simple trail around it for now and continue what you wanted on the other side. if you really feel the need to get the police to move them, wait till the holidays are over.

avoiding the area would be a good idea. when they do eventually leave theres a good chance of broken glass and possibly needles on the ground. I know I wouldn't want to crash in there

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 15:28 Quote
Me and the spousal unit lived in San Marcos TX, where cops from all the surrounding communities would deposit their curbside refuse. We ran a shelter there for a time and ran a soup kitchen, so we got a little exposure to this population.

The best u can do is make pets out 'em, throw them a bone or a beer, and be wary of them, lest they'll snake your beer, or molest your children.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 19:26 Quote
The main reason the authorities let us build/ride where we do is because it discourages homeless/junkies/gay prostitutes from being there. Just ride and they'll leave. If they start with you get some bruisers together and roust them. But it is xmas so maybe wait til the new year.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012348
Mobile Version of Website