Powered by Outside

Info on living in Whistler

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Info on living in Whistler
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:05 Quote
What kind of jobs can you get with the mountain without any qualifications though?

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:08 Quote
a lifty so u just scan peoples passes but theres lots of bike stores you could work at!! im 14 and i have lots of frends that are liftys

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:09 Quote
Okay, but are there any jobs you could actually make enough money at to be able to pay rent and eat?

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:11 Quote
Yes forsure lots you could work at resteronts or if u know how to ski/board in the winter you could be a ski instructer and they gat like 15$ hour

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:15 Quote
Ha, i would fall flat on my face on a pair of skis or snowboard, so thats out.

you're lucky to live in a place like that while you're young and you don't have to work for a living. If I were in your situation id be on the trails every minute of every day.

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:16 Quote
yep i am but i do have a job so i can affored it

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:18 Quote
I may just end up working in Alberta during the winter and taking the summers off in whistler, I know thats how a lot of guys do it.

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:23 Quote
Jobs...

-Hotel
-Restaurant
-Mountain
-Stores
-Bike Shop

Hope it helps

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:40 Quote
The thing is, if I get a job in Whistler during the summer, I won't have any time to ride. Since I don't ski or board it makes sence to go work during the winter in a high paying job, then take the whole bike season off and not have to work at all, just ride every day. I would just have to find accomadations for half the year then, and Id be able to avoid the Olympic crowd too.

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:46 Quote
i want a big property in the woods someday near enough to whistler that i can go there whenever i want but i want to have a big property and build my own trails without worry about it getting wreaked by building somewhere i dont own

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:46 Quote
dobermanntrials wrote:
The thing is, if I get a job in Whistler during the summer, I won't have any time to ride. Since I don't ski or board it makes sence to go work during the winter in a high paying job, then take the whole bike season off and not have to work at all, just ride every day. I would just have to find accomadations for half the year then, and Id be able to avoid the Olympic crowd too.

The only thing is that doing big money unqualified work sucks. And it sucks even more in minus fifty. I've been working outside lately and it kind of sucks. A lot. But that's just me. Depends what you do I guess.

The thing is working at whistler you can stay in staff accomodations and it becomes way more viable.

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:51 Quote
I have experience. I have worked in Alberta before, I know the work sucks, but knowing I had a place in Whistler waiting for me come summer would make things easier for sure.

Unless I worked nights in a bar or something, i wouldn't have any time to ride the trails if i were working on the mountain during the day unless i were a guide.

Mod
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:54 Quote
If you get a job in Alberta, stay close to Alberta when you ride. A three hour drive away (2.5 hours normally), you have three huge resorts offering comparable riding to what Whistler has to offer with way smaller lift lines, less groms, and is less expensive. Mount 7, Kicking Horse, and Panorama as well as the xc/all mountain stuff in Golden is all within this three hour drive. It is an easy drive on the Trans Canada and now that they are done the construction and twinning the road, there shouldn't be any delays. Calgary has cheaper housing than Vancouver and no PST. We also have a huge skate park and COP although not the best but still fun for an after work session that is lift assisted is still pretty awesome to have in your backyard. There is also Moos Mountain. Living in Whistler will only get more expensive as people are flocking there for the games. My friends who are ski instructors there are renting out their condo for an ungodly amount during the 2010 games.

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 22:10 Quote
I have rode C.O.P. before, its a nice little hill.

I know there are a lot of other places besides Whistler, but it just seems like a really cool place to be, its like the center of the mountain bike world.
Its not just the riding, but all the bike related events that happen there too. Its like Nashville for country musicians, or Hollywood for actors, or Las Vegas for compulsive gamblers.Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013133
Mobile Version of Website