Schwalbe tires

PB Forum :: Downhill
Schwalbe tires
O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 at 21:23 Quote
i was looking on chain reaction, the bigest size i found was 2.4 Do they run big, i like the size of maxxis 2.5s? What coupound is the best for DH and what tread patern is best for all round DH and DH racing?

Posted: Feb 9, 2009 at 21:48 Quote
i have 2.5 muddy mary's with dh compound and snake skin sidewall. they are beautiful to look at and they look damn near impenetrable. my ghetto measuring with a tape puts the knob-to-knob width at over 2.6

and the al mighty, which is an older version is listed as 2.6

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 9:16 Quote
They definetly run big. My 2.35 Fat Alberts are way bigger than my 2.35 Maxxis's were. I'd say a Schwalbe 2.35 is around a Maxxis 2.5 or 2.6.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 9:32 Quote
depends on the tire. my 2.4 nobby nic is around 2.2

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 9:38 Quote
saturnine wrote:
depends on the tire. my 2.4 nobby nic is around 2.2
would you say the nobby nic is a DH worth tire?? 2.4

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 9:40 Quote
not at all. am tire. for dh, look at the muddy mary, al mighty, and big betty.

this is a muddy mary on my fr bike:
photo

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 9:43 Quote
saturnine wrote:
not at all. am tire. for dh, look at the muddy mary, al mighty, and big betty.

this is a muddy mary on my fr bike:
photo

ok thanks, what would it be compared to, like a maxxis larson tt of a kenda small block 8?

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 9:44 Quote
i've never ridden a maxxis in my life. i have no idea.

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 9:45 Quote
saturnine wrote:
i've never ridden a maxxis in my life. i have no idea.
Is it like a low roling resistance tire of dose it still have some profile on it

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 9:49 Quote
Do fat alberts hook up well. Im asumeing that the muddy mary is "MUD" tire. Where i live there is mud for 3 days a year, if the nobs are really high on them they just fold over rather then dig, we have very stiff dirt.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 10:03 Quote
it's not really a mud tire despite its name. more of an all around tire. knobs are very stiff

schwalbe wrote:
Muddy Mary is an intermediate tire for all conditions that Schwalbe developed with the ten-times German Downhill champion, Marcus Klausmann. The idea for the Muddy Mary originates from Motocross. Schwalbe technician Markus Hachmeyer explained: "Intermediate tires can perform equally: griping in both soft, deep terrain and on hard tracks." This was so far the problem. Either the long lugs stuck firmly into the soft ground and then broke off on hard surfaces. Or the tires rolled perfectly on dry tracks, while in soft conditions the deep profile was missing to help them grip. Hachmeyer: "Muddy Mary combines both characteristics and so is the ideal competition allrounder."

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 14:26 Quote
twigme wrote:
Do fat alberts hook up well. Im asumeing that the muddy mary is "MUD" tire. Where i live there is mud for 3 days a year, if the nobs are really high on them they just fold over rather then dig, we have very stiff dirt.
The Fat Albert's took me about a day or so to get used to because of how they hook up, but they definetly hook up once you get used to them. If you really jam them into a corner, they will grip with no problems all the way over until you're pretty much on the sidewall. If you kind of ease into a corner and gradually lean in more, they will grip at first, then they will feel like they are going to wash out because they will be sliding out maybe 1/4 of an inch, but if you continue to trust them and lean in harder, they will gently hook again and let you lean them all the way over. That only happens because of the dual compound. While they are in between the two is when they are sliding, but they haven't let go on me during that time yet. Really they are damn happy on just about any dirt you can find. The only thing I've found that they don't like is super loose deep sand. Then they feel a little washy and unsure, but they grip stupid good on most kinds of dirt.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 14:29 Quote
Oh yeah, here's a picture of my 2.35 Fat Alberts next to the 2.35 Maxxis DHF that it replaced. The Maxxis isn't inflated, but you get the idea that the Schwalbe is bigger.
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.036139
Mobile Version of Website