Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Hairline cracks have me worried, what do you think?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Hairline cracks have me worried, what do you think?
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 at 0:01 Quote
Moshman wrote:
qwiksand99 wrote:
As a TIG welder myself I can tell you that that is not your fault at all; it's poor manufacturing/welding. Riding it will only make it worse due to less area having to support the load. I would definetly see what they can do for you. It could be repaired but ur gonna need to have the frame repainted or something after, or just leave it with a raw section.

Well, I am concerned that KHS is going to tell me I am SOL, it is almost 10 years old after all.
How much would you think a repair would run me? I am considering re-paint anyway so that's not a big deal.
You still have nothing to lose by calling them.....just get em on the phone and ask to talk with the manager If not, then look for a quality fabricator in the area, price could be anywhere. A good bet is always to try finding a community college or something that has a welding class and have the instructor do it for you.

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 at 0:35 Quote
What do i think?

1) if your frame is 10 years old, i'd be surprised if KHS offered anything usefull - but give them a try.

2) Your frame is a death-trap. i wouldn't ride it to the shops.

3) by all means get it re-welded, but it'll mean grinding out the old welds - not just welding over the top of the crack

4) YOU NEED TO GET IT FULLY SOLUTION HEAT TREATED AFTER IT'S WELDED. Aluminium is an absolute swine, the welds will be soft and weak, and at an un-predictable distance from the weld, the frame will be over-aged and brittle. it will crack again within hours of riding if you don't.

5) get a new frame.

's just what i think.

(all aluminium frames fail by cracking, it's just a matter of time. 10 years is pretty good)

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 at 0:37 Quote
literatechimp wrote:
What do i think?

1) if your frame is 10 years old, i'd be surprised if KHS offered anything usefull - but give them a try.

2) Your frame is a death-trap. i wouldn't ride it to the shops.

3) by all means get it re-welded, but it'll mean grinding out the old welds - not just welding over the top of the crack

4) YOU NEED TO GET IT FULLY SOLUTION HEAT TREATED AFTER IT'S WELDED. Aluminium is an absolute swine, the welds will be soft and weak, and at a un-predictable distance from the weld, the frame will be over-aged and brittle. it will crack again within hours of riding if you don't.

5) get a new frame.

's just what i think.

(all aluminium frames fail by cracking, it's just a matter of time. 10 years is pretty good)

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012302
Mobile Version of Website