Powered by Outside

Hardtail Downhilling for a beginer?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Hardtail Downhilling for a beginer?
O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 5:53 Quote
Hi there,

Can't go wrong with the Chromag Stylus - great geometry for downhill, wide tyre clearance, can handle a long travel fork and anything you throw at it!

If you're interested I've got the 2008 Stylus frame for sale - medium in black (looking for about £350).

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 10:39 Quote
so can i use about any frame with discs and atleast 100mm of travel?

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 10:43 Quote
bearbiking wrote:
Hi there,

Can't go wrong with the Chromag Stylus - great geometry for downhill, wide tyre clearance, can handle a long travel fork and anything you throw at it!

If you're interested I've got the 2008 Stylus frame for sale - medium in black (looking for about £350).

no offence but thats not a dh bike its a dj bike

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 10:51 Quote
The Transition Vagrant is a nice affordable alternative. It can easily handle a longer travel Fork.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 10:52 Quote
im looking to upgrade my frame on my jamis komodo for a tougher more freeride capable frame and i was recomended to get the transition vagrant frame which you can get for around 400 bucks so i agree

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 10:52 Quote
MclovinDownhill wrote:
so can i use about any frame with discs and atleast 100mm of travel?
For DH, you are going to want a little more than 100mm of fork travel... I would say 160mm is a happy medium.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 10:54 Quote
brandolikes2bike wrote:
im looking to upgrade my frame on my jamis komodo for a tougher more freeride capable frame and i was recomended to get the transition vagrant frame which you can get for around 400 bucks so i agree
I bought one for last season just to get some skills back that I had lost over the years going fully. It is a bomb-proof frame, and I absolutely loved it w/ a Marz 55 ETA on it.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 10:55 Quote
cjf1972 wrote:
brandolikes2bike wrote:
I bought one for last season just to get some skills back that I had lost over the years going fully. It is a bomb-proof frame, and I absolutely loved it w/ a Marz 55 ETA on it.
I'm hoping to buy one in the next couple of months then put a fox 36 fork on the front, it's going to be so sweet!

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 10:57 Quote
brandolikes2bike wrote:
cjf1972 wrote:
brandolikes2bike wrote:
I'm hoping to buy one in the next couple of months then put a fox 36 fork on the front, it's going to be so sweet!
You are going to love it. It really follows sketchy lines well.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 10:58 Quote
sweet but does transition make them anymore, it seems like they stopped making them after 2007?

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:00 Quote
brandolikes2bike wrote:
sweet but does transition make them anymore, it seems like they stopped making them after 2007?
Sure, they still make them. I think Hamina777 here on PB is going to sell his, which used to be mine. It is a Black 2008 model (Large)... but surprisingly not a BIG Large.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:01 Quote
looking at transitions site right now they don't seem to be still making them:S

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:05 Quote
i use a DMR sidekick with 130 mill dj2's and find it rides fine. obviously not the best hardtail for the job but as an all rounder good for a rag round the woods and the local dj's.

i found stiff rims and cranks made all the difference. i had mavic 325 and hussefelts which felt squirmy through tight berms and very unprecice through root sections. but with halo sas and saints u can deffinatly notice the difference. i also went for the sas due to their massive strength. being a hardtail, cases, roots and stutter bumps can take it out of lesser rims.

id also advise 20mm, u can feel the twist in the front wheel with qr in the rough stuff, hope that helps.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:06 Quote
brandolikes2bike wrote:
looking at transitions site right now they don't seem to be still making them:S
Wow, they must have just replaced it w/ the TransAM for 2009. You could still get them through a dealer I am sure if someone still has them around... if not Ebay or here on PB. The TransAM looks pretty good.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:07 Quote
that kinda sucks, oh well, they'll be lots of people with them on pb and ebay

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011050
Mobile Version of Website