What do your parents/friends not understand about bikes?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What do your parents/friends not understand about bikes?
O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:03 Quote
mtnbker395 wrote:
the-ultimate-cyclist wrote:
mtnbker395 wrote:

that one bugs me the most.
it's stupid.

yeah my parents are always like "i bet we could buy you the most expensive bike in the world and you would still try to mess around and change things on it" and i am just like yeah of course i would.
yeah.
I've looked for a bike that I would be happy with ALL of the components.
I can't find one for the life of me.

yeah even just things like the seat or pedals or grips even bug them.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:05 Quote
mtnbker395 wrote:

yeah my parents are always like "i bet we could buy you the most expensive bike in the world and you would still try to mess around and change things on it" and i am just like yeah of course i would.
yeah.
I've looked for a bike that I would be happy with ALL of the components.
I can't find one for the life of me.

yeah even just things like the seat or pedals or grips even bug them.
yeah and my mom bitches about it.
she can't.
she doesn't pay for jack shit.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:06 Quote
see im not much for swapping parts, granted im only on my second or so nice bike... but when stuff wears out i just say "well time to start lookin for a new bike" instead of new parts ha

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:07 Quote
killerkane wrote:
see im not much for swapping parts, granted im only on my second or so nice bike... but when stuff wears out i just say "well time to start lookin for a new bike" instead of new parts ha
that annoys me.
no offense.
I just find it obnoxious when people sell there bikes when something big is wrong with there bikes.

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:09 Quote
mtnbker395 wrote:
killerkane wrote:
why i always need a new/different one...xc, dh, dj, cx, etc...
I think that's true for all of us.

my quote is the best formula for this problem.. its soo true..
I am still 800 in debt for my downhill bike and I have already spoken for a AM bike in our shop.. haha it never stops

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:09 Quote
ha yeah i work at a shop so i get everything cheap, its easy to ride a bike for a year, sell it and make money off of it, hellsyeah

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:11 Quote
if it weren't for the fact that biking is amazing.
I wouldn't do it.
if that makes sense...?

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:15 Quote
killerkane wrote:
ha yeah i work at a shop so i get everything cheap, its easy to ride a bike for a year, sell it and make money off of it, hellsyeah

Yea I know how that is.. My new 'Goose, I could break even next year compaired to what I got it for through our shop sponser.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:16 Quote
that bikes cost actual money not the 150 that the old as hell road bike cost back in the '70s

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:21 Quote
one of my biggest pet peeves is when you break something minor on your bike like a derailleur hanger and your parents give you a huge lecture on how your $3000 fr bike isn't meant for doing a 3 foot drop. Or when you try and tell them that you want a new fork (and im paying for it) and they wont let you because they think there's nothing wrong with your old one. for me, in a combined total of 7 riding hours Ive completely blown the internals of my 55's THREE times. they just dont understand that some things need replacing Madder

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:22 Quote
IanSunday wrote:
one of my biggest pet peeves is when you break something minor on your bike like a derailleur hanger and your parents give you a huge lecture on how your $3000 fr bike isn't meant for doing a 3 foot drop. Or when you try and tell them that you want a new fork (and im paying for it) and they wont let you because they think there's nothing wrong with your old one. for me, in a combined total of 7 riding hours Ive completely blown the internals of my 55's THREE times. they just dont understand that some things need replacing Madder
what the f*ck were you doing to do that?

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:29 Quote
My parents don't understand that bikes can be customized!!

I have this crappy little Wal-Mart bike that I wanted to ride around town because its a much more economical option than risking a $1500 stoked DH bike (I'm sure you understand).

Anyways, the rear brakes on my crappy bike were shot, so I wanted to disconnect it - much to the anger of my dad. "Why would you disconnect the brakes?" he gloriously argued. I was almost compelled to show him some brakeless vids online. Wow, just wow!

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:30 Quote
Cactus262 wrote:
My parents don't understand that bikes can be customized!!

I have this crappy little Wal-Mart bike that I wanted to ride around town because its a much more economical option than risking a $1500 stoked DH bike (I'm sure you understand).

Anyways, the rear brakes on my crappy bike were shot, so I wanted to disconnect it - much to the anger of my dad. "Why would you disconnect the brakes?" he gloriously argued. I was almost compelled to show him some brakeless vids online. Wow, just wow!
that's slightly understandable.
but at the same time.
not.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:44 Quote
mtnbker395 wrote:
IanSunday wrote:
what the f*ck were you doing to do that?
nothing serious, the first time i gapped like 5 stairs, second was on a 4 foot drop, and the third i over shot a jump so about 7 feet to almost flat. and im a pretty smooth rider so i dunno Confused

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 23:46 Quote
since you're paying for the fork, why don't you just hop on the bus or ride to a shop and pick one up?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012598
Mobile Version of Website