Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

24" SBMX vs 24" BMX

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
24" SBMX vs 24" BMX
Posted: May 13, 2009 at 11:38 Quote
all very true. but you forget that a sus fork doesnt define a mtb, rigid 24" mtbs are also different to cruisers.

FL
Posted: May 13, 2009 at 11:43 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
all very true. but you forget that a sus fork doesnt define a mtb, rigid 24" mtbs are also different to cruisers.

yea bud! true, i forgot! i got a 26" single speed rigid for park an street
an also racin 30plus criuser LOL

Posted: May 13, 2009 at 12:11 Quote
In hindsight I think the thread title should be: 24" MTB with suspension vs. 24" BMX. Not too many suspension BMX bikes in comparison to 24" MTB with front suspension. Agreed that a 24" BMX may or may not be a "cruiser" in the terms of a BMX racer. I used to race a Profile cruiser and I would not want to try riding it on park as much as i would with a Sunday 24" bike. So there is a big difference.

Lots of options:

20" BMX (race bike)
20" BMX (park/DJ bike)
24" BMX (cruiser, race)
24" BMX (park/DJ bike)
24" MTB rigid or suspended, SS or geared
26" MTB rigid or suspended, SS or geared

Either way as long as you find the bike of choice that you like to ride, who really cares.

Posted: May 13, 2009 at 15:06 Quote
Wwll here is my opinion based on about 32 years experience. Seeing as I was around during the whole mountain bike "scene", seeing them go from beach cruisers ( they were the original MTBs used to race DH on old fire roads) to what they are today. They do not ALL have suspension, so a bike does not NEED suspension to be classed as a mountain bike. Originally they did not have gears but they only went down hill. Some at that point did have the 3 speed hubs.... THEY WERE MADE FOR MOUNTAINS. The original ones sucked, thats why they don't race DH on beach cruisers anymore.

BMX is just that Bicycle Moto Cross. There is no wheele size covered in that title, there is no rule against suspension (yes I have seen PRO BMXers lined up on the gate for a main with a suspension fork on their 20" race bike) So really any bike could really be a BMX bike. We generally accept 20" bikes as BMX bikes and cruisers are generally thought of as kind of lame BMX bikes,

The MTB world wants to see gears and preferably 26" wheels, some comps won't allow 24" wheels and they want gears. So where does that leave the 24" ss bike with a bit of sus on the front???? Best bike set up for 4X IMO which IS BMX racing.

The Cruisers are very close to a 24" suspended SS bike. Really the only necessary differance is the head tube hight to adjust for suspension. I have had guys look at my "big" bike and laugh at it because it's so small, it is definatly not an MTB. Att this is really irrelavent though and not the point of the thread.

I will say that Colin Winkelman set the worlds record for jumping a 20" over 13 SUVs and it had a 74.5 head angle if I'm not mistaken. Original BMX bikes were all 73 degrees and some race bikes still have that. Suspended bikes generally have slacker head angles because guy's like to do bar spins and they need the room for tire clearance. Also there are laws about how close the tire can be to the back of the front wheel.

Posted: May 13, 2009 at 16:11 Quote
ricar wrote:
Also there are laws about how close the tire can be to the back of the front wheel.
Care to explain?

Posted: May 13, 2009 at 19:45 Quote
There is a minimum clearance between the peddals and the front tire. I don't know if it's just for kids bikes or all bikes. That is why the Hoffman convertable didn't last. When you put 20" wheels on it, it would knock your feet off the peddals.

FL
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 0:39 Quote
RIP colin winkleman!! amazing rider!! such a loss

all valid points man, apart from the one about criuser being lame bmx!! i know loooadsa 30+ criuser briusers that'd kick ass for that one LOL, criusers pretty poular in the u.k some kids will race 20" and criuser catergorys just to get more racing in on the weekend!

one thing i've noticed at 4X racing is riders must have suss forks but will lock em up to get out the gate quicker!!!

ever noticed how we can get 24" specific mtb jump frames but not 24" specific forks, suss or rigid? perhaps that what could define the difference between criuser or 24"mtb jump bike? (being that criusers have 24" forks)

i definatly think the lines are bluring an rules are being broken down nowerdays when it comes to this sport we all love,yea a specific bike will perform better on a specific terrain but there are all the different wheel sizes being ridden at the skate park or dirt parks

i still think theres a difference between criuser an 24"mtb jump bike
mtbmx sounds better than sbmx

great thread by the way
jon

FL
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 0:46 Quote
24" bmx or ,,,, freestyle criuser?
sorry

Posted: May 14, 2009 at 9:25 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
RIP colin winkleman!! amazing rider!! such a loss

all valid points man, apart from the one about criuser being lame bmx!! i know loooadsa 30+ criuser briusers that'd kick ass for that one LOL, criusers pretty poular in the u.k some kids will race 20" and criuser catergorys just to get more racing in on the weekend!

one thing i've noticed at 4X racing is riders must have suss forks but will lock em up to get out the gate quicker!!!

ever noticed how we can get 24" specific mtb jump frames but not 24" specific forks, suss or rigid? perhaps that what could define the difference between criuser or 24"mtb jump bike? (being that criusers have 24" forks)

i definatly think the lines are bluring an rules are being broken down nowerdays when it comes to this sport we all love,yea a specific bike will perform better on a specific terrain but there are all the different wheel sizes being ridden at the skate park or dirt parks

i still think theres a difference between criuser an 24"mtb jump bike
mtbmx sounds better than sbmx

great thread by the way
jon

there have been mtb 24" forks. such as the infamous d street which was aweful. The main reason they dont exist is because of cost. Forks that can fit 26" wheels and 24" are gonna sell alot bettter. I dont think that the 25mm or so difference is to much of an issue with mtbs too.

Posted: May 14, 2009 at 10:00 Quote
If a bike, be it MTB or BMX, is what it is based on geometry, not wheel size as previously proposed when looking at 24" MTB vs BMX. Then theoretically could it be possible to cross the 24" line completely and create a 26" with BMX geometry and call it a BMX or go the other way and create a 20" with MTB geometry and call it a MTB? just a theory....

Posted: May 14, 2009 at 10:19 Quote
bikeflightactics wrote:
If a bike, be it MTB or BMX, is what it is based on geometry, not wheel size as previously proposed when looking at 24" MTB vs BMX. Then theoretically could it be possible to cross the 24" line completely and create a 26" with BMX geometry and call it a BMX or go the other way and create a 20" with MTB geometry and call it a MTB? just a theory....

nope, youre correct. There are such thing as 26" bmx cruisers and also 20" kids mtbs.

FL
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 12:58 Quote
yea 26" bmx were popular back in the day

Posted: May 14, 2009 at 16:38 Quote
Really what it comes dwn to s the right bike fo you. Lots of guys need the stability of larger wheels and or a bit slacker head angle. 20" racebikes have a slacker head angle but don't generally stand up well to jumping or street. There are FEW 20" bikes with a 74 head angle but that only helps a bit. You can step up to a cruiser, generally a bit slacker head angle than a 20" and the larger wheels help a ton to smooth out sketchy riders. Up from that the 24" bikes with a sus fork (or without) will have a slacker angle than the cruisers but are still agile enough for trails and can be tossed around well enough. IMO 26" wheels are like jumping a couch. You pretty much have to fall off the bike, they are as stable as it gets and of course harder to toss around. BUT all that depends on what you want to ride terrain wise. We can't all afford to have 3 or 4 decent bikes so we need to pick the most versatile bike for what we ride.

Posted: May 14, 2009 at 16:45 Quote
here is my SBMX, it started out as a cruiser then i got some shocks lowered them to 60mm of travel. i like how it rides and the head angle aint to bad.
photo

FL
Posted: May 15, 2009 at 5:46 Quote
i just thought about somethin that annoys me with the whole 24" thing

rear hub & crank spacing
a lot of the new 24" or 26"jump frames will have mtb rear hub spacing for disk brakes but then a mid bmx press fit b/b
you need to space out the cranks to get good chain line,so much that the arms only just fit on the axle! i've only seen profile make a mtb lenght axle kit

i would prefer a euro b/b for a disk brake rear hub spacing

i think ns do a 24" mtb with mid b/b an bmx rear hub with bmx u-brake

but then most of these kids are ridin brakeless nowerdays!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017472
Mobile Version of Website