Society 4xr, argyle 318 or used pike

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Society 4xr, argyle 318 or used pike
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 5:10 Quote
having the same issue as yourself here on getting a pair of 100-120mm travel dj/fr/4x forks. society's aare looking a top choice for the moment - i want low cost but good value and if anything beats society, let me know guys!

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 5:12 Quote
jessejones wrote:
318's or 409's over DJ1's but 302's?! no way!

He's even recommending used 302's over DJ1's. I would even take new DJ1's over used 318's anyway. The warranty alone is worth the difference.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 6:20 Quote
no, in my experience, i would recommoend anything over a dj1

i have not had good products from marzocchi, and therefore would suggest anything over them.

and i was just stating that a 302 is a solid, relieble, fit and forget fork

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 7:09 Quote
private-ryan wrote:

i have not had good products from marzocchi, and therefore would suggest anything over them.

That is a really good point i take mine back!

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 8:03 Quote
private-ryan wrote:

What MZ forks have you owned that were so bad? I've had a DJ2 since 2003 that been to hell and back and still works fine.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 8:43 Quote
triptex wrote:
private-ryan wrote:

What MZ forks have you owned that were so bad? I've had a DJ2 since 2003 that been to hell and back and still works fine.
yeah thats 2003, back when they were made in italy.

i personally have owned:
dj3 2005
dj2 2008

friends have owned:
dj1 2004
dj1 2005
dirt jam pro 2006
dj3 2006
dj1 2008

my dj3 2005 was alright, not fantastic but decent enough.
and the dj2 2008 is not very good at all. fit enough for the purpose but wouldnt go back to them

i think it was 2008 or 2007 taht marzo moved to tiawan, that when things went wrong

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 10:47 Quote
so should i go for:
a used argyle
a used pike
society 4xr
x-fusion velvet

opinions on each fork, or a favourite outa the choice.

cheers

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 10:59 Quote
I'd say a used argyle or pike. Ive ridden both forks in all editions avalible. I have at the moment a Pike 426. It's verry good! super plush and it never goes wrong. Unlike my 2008 Mzzchis. If you do howerver buy a Argyle. Wich is fine, but i'd take the 409. The 318 is nice tho but 409 is way better. Hope you pick the right one! And feel free to ask.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:02 Quote
EdsE wrote:
I'd say a used argyle or pike. Ive ridden both forks in all editions avalible. I have at the moment a Pike 426. It's verry good! super plush and it never goes wrong. Unlike my 2008 Mzzchis. If you do howerver buy a Argyle. Wich is fine, but i'd take the 409. The 318 is nice tho but 409 is way better. Hope you pick the right one! And feel free to ask.
hm yeah my friends have 318s and 302s and also someoone has pike 326 i thnks thats the one.

but they are all real nice, but its just the extra money.
im afriad a 409 is completely out of the question due to their very high price tag and also you never really see them on ebay! Frown

but you think i should go for the argyle?
raelsistically it would only be the 302 though

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:08 Quote
I was going to suggest a 409 also as I just got one and it's an amazing fork but I know you have budget concerns. I dont know how the 302/318 ride but if they're similar to the 409 then it should be worth it.

409 is king though.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:09 Quote
private-ryan wrote:
EdsE wrote:
hm yeah my friends have 318s and 302s and also someoone has pike 326 i thnks thats the one.

im afriad a 409 is completely out of the question due to their very high price tag and also you never really see them on ebay! Frown

Well about 3/4 year ago I had the same problem (the 20 mm wheel). You know i really dident like my fork and i wanted a good one, but all those were 20 mm. What i did is just save more. Because i know if i went for the cheap ones id be kinda disappointed later. I know its a lot of money. But if your smart and hunt down good secondhand ones like i did. It should be okay. The 302 one isnt bad but if you like some adjustements, forget it ;-).

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:12 Quote
EdsE wrote:
private-ryan wrote:
EdsE wrote:

Well about 3/4 year ago I had the same problem (the 20 mm wheel). You know i really dident like my fork and i wanted a good one, but all those were 20 mm. What i did is just save more. Because i know if i went for the cheap ones id be kinda disappointed later. I know its a lot of money. But if your smart and hunt down good secondhand ones like i did. It should be okay. The 302 one isnt bad but if you like some adjustements, forget it ;-).
words of wisodm! Razz
yeah i think i might just keep my cash in my pocket, leave it to accumilate for a month of so.

then see what i got and see what i can get, hopefully by then i could afford a fork

another question, i have a p. series wheelset, was wondering if its possible to convert my 9mm bolted hub to a 20mm?

long shot but worth a try

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:14 Quote
private-ryan wrote:
EdsE wrote:
private-ryan wrote:

words of wisodm! Razz
yeah i think i might just keep my cash in my pocket, leave it to accumilate for a month of so.

then see what i got and see what i can get, hopefully by then i could afford a fork

another question, i have a p. series wheelset, was wondering if its possible to convert my 9mm bolted hub to a 20mm?

long shot but worth a try
Well i have a P1 Razz Nope not possible. I'd just built my own wheel ;-)

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:15 Quote
okay then, the other idea is a 20mm to qr convertor for forks?

i know that the society's come with one, and taht is the main swaying point for them!!

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:19 Quote
private-ryan wrote:
okay then, the other idea is a 20mm to qr convertor for forks?

i know that the society's come with one, and taht is the main swaying point for them!!
I'd thougt about them too, but believe me if you ride hard the wheels will break. So for me it wasnt worth to ride a non proven fork wich is built by rst (wich is true) if you will have to replace them tho.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011137
Mobile Version of Website