what kind of bike should i get my girl friend

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
what kind of bike should i get my girl friend
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 8:02 Quote
You live right in Wellesley, right? I probably ride all the places you will (I'm from Sherborn). Having just realized this, go with the Kyhber, Meta 6, Intense SS, Yeti ASR 7 or one of the other light bikes. Build it up with a Fox Talas 36 fork and other light components. I have ridden everything around here, and 165 mm of travel is all you need. Out here, a burly all mountain bike can handle snything you will find, but rides can be ruined by bikes that are heavy and pedal poorly. If you were to buy a larger freeride bike (which I have made the mistake of doing) maybe she would hit some bigger stuff (probably not though), but her rides would be ruined 9and thus your ride would be ruined) because she would get so tired pedaling and pushing her bike.

Mod
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 9:50 Quote
Out of the box, the Reign X0 is 32 pounds. In 2010, the frames are undergoing a redesign and they will be lighter by about 2 pounds or so in the frame. That combined with the use of even lighter yet durable components for 2010 and a price tag that is reasonable and you have a good looking bike.

The only problem with a Nomad or Intense is that VPP is not for everyone. There are a lot of people out there who don't like VPP for various reasons. I'd try all the bikes you are looking at before buying anything.

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 9:53 Quote
Landry's in Natick deals Norco, Intense, Specialized and Trek bikes. Tell them the Timms referred you and you'll get a good price.

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 11:25 Quote
SpeshAllDay wrote:
Landry's in Natick deals Norco, Intense, Specialized and Trek bikes. Tell them the Timms referred you and you'll get a good price.

yea i know all those guys been going there for years and i started riding with andy and mark and i dont know if you know kevin green but i grew up with him too

FL
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 11:47 Quote
Transition Bottlerocket in that Baby Blue color.

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 12:03 Quote
bunkey wrote:
dno if anyones mentioned it - id be suprised if they havnt - but the transition syren was pretty much built as a bike to buy for your aspiring girlfriend Razz RS Lyrik, pro 2's, those newish nuke proof AM/FR rims that are 4 hundred and something crazy light grams, raceface atlas cranks etc. you'd be looking at a pretty lightweight, well rounded, girlfriend proof bike thats built for purpose. Hell, id have one myself if i had money!

its on the first page. they said that the syren was not a pedalling bike. idk how the whole linkages reducing pedal bob theories or designs work, but i guess the reign X is the way to go?

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
ya a transition syren would be great maybe with a 36 float and an air shock to make it good for pedaling but itll still rip dh, or just get her a small demo with 40's... everyone loves 40's
zc8rider wrote:
My girl friend is about 5'5 and 139 lbs and she wants to start to come riding with me, catch is she wants to do the same stuff i do. Jumps, DH, FR and what not with a little bit of pedaling. money is no problem its just either getting her a mens bike in a small with girl colors or x-small , or a girls bike with enough travel and looks good and great quality and same with the ride. any advice i could get would be awsome and links to sites would be great to.

thanks to all
Zenas

Mod
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 12:40 Quote
The Reign X is far superior to anything on the market. The component selection is ace and the bang for your buck factor is huge. Also, Giant offers a lifetime warranty on their frames compared to Intense's 2 year and Transition's 1 year warranty. Santa Cruz, you are definitely paying for the name and same with Intense. SC's warranty is two years too I believe. Giant and Specialized both offer lifetime warranties but Specialized has several exceptions as to which parts of the frame are covered. Also, FSR isn't as good as Maestro in my opinion and the SX which seems like the bike she would get is expensive (the higher-end model) and the lower-end model is very expensive for the part spec you get. Also, look into the Trek Remedy. They are great all arounders too.

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 13:11 Quote
I know its the Taboo word but what about Kona? don't they make that stinky for women now? Minxy or something?

FL
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 13:18 Quote
get-hucked666 wrote:
I know its the Taboo word but what about Kona? don't they make that stinky for women now? Minxy or something?
Yep. Kona Minxy. Actually kinda cool lookin'.

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 13:24 Quote
TheDanish wrote:
get-hucked666 wrote:
Yep. Kona Minxy. Actually kinda cool lookin'.

Thats what i thought, i saw one and thought wow Id ride one of those, then i found out it was a ladies edition frame.

Mod
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 14:20 Quote
bunkey wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
...Giant offers a lifetime warranty on their frames compared to... Transition's 1 year warranty...

Transition offers lifetime crash replacement on their frames I belive.

This IS NOT a lifetime warranty. A lifetime crash replacement means that the bike will be replaced at YOUR expense. Although you are not paying MSRP for the frame, you still only get about 20% or so off the cost of a new frame. Also, every company offers some sort of sympathy/crash replacement pricing. They just don't throw it in their marketing pitch as it is pretty much a standard norm in the industry when frames aren't covered by a warranty. The manufacturer offers you a discount on a new frame so it somewhat appeases the rider and keeps the rider in the manufacturer's brand.

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 14:41 Quote
I don't see how you could go wrong with a big AM bike like a Reign X tbh.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015521
Mobile Version of Website