Powered by Outside

Anybody ridden the new DHX RC4?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Anybody ridden the new DHX RC4?
Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:35 Quote
lcstay10 wrote:
ya, the rc4 will feel awful unless it is tuned for you, and your bike, but once it is, they are amazing. i dont think it would be the best bet for you. look into a rockshock vivid. amazing rear shocks

The vivid is smooth but lacks any sort of bottoming control. My buddy has it. It lacks any high speed compression.

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:35 Quote
Go air thats what im doing with my flatline

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:38 Quote
I could get the RC4 tuned to my bike, as for air I would get the roco wc air.
I would but I'm not sure about mars reliability on that one

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:40 Quote
dhrunner wrote:
I could get the RC4 tuned to my bike, as for air I would get the roco wc air.
I would but I'm not sure about mars reliability on that one

i dont like the coil on the flatline and since im racing and riding im gonna go air what do nyou think about the dhx air or roco air

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:48 Quote
Well as someone who owns one I can give you what I know so far. I was looking at updating my bike a little and it came time to look at a new rear shock (also heading out west and looking to minimize mechanicals). I had been on a Fox Van, Swinger 6-Way, Fox DHX 5.0 and DHX 5.0 Air. Looked at all the major players, Bos, CCDB, RC4, Elka, etc. Ended up choosing the Fox because I really like how they've moved to quite a larger shaft, have an established NA dealer network and the tool free adjustments were what I was looking for (something I really enjoyed on the 6-Way).

First up make sure on your bike that there is plenty of room for a MASSIVE resevoir. It really is huge, pic from JWMbike,
photo
As soon as I mounted it to my bike I had an issue with fitment and had to saw a brace on the linkage in half so the shock would even bolt up.

I'm coming off a DHX 5.0 Air so most of what I know compares between the two. A fact that also may somewhat skew a review (i.e. coil vs air). Of course the initial parking lot test is fun to find the correct spring rate and let the shiny part tart feeling wear off. Down to business, I was surprised by how easily it moves through the initial travel as the air had quite a bit of stiction. I'm still working with setup, but like having the wide variety of adjustments to play with (esp the HC and LC). As long as you can dedicate some time to it the shock does get better and better. I'll update as my experience grows with my new shock.

It really is up to you. So far so good, but I still am in the initial stages of ownership.

All bolted up.
photo

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:48 Quote
deosnt matter the shock if it isnt tuned for your bike it will suck

if you get a vivid you have a choice between the A, B and C tuning each are different for different leverage ratios. i have a vivid and i love it

i Would get whatever you could get for the best price.

between cane creek, fox, vivid, elka or bos if i can get one of those for a discount im getting it

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:50 Quote
i reccomend the cane creek double barrel, because they work so sick, and arent 1200$ like bos.

id also reccomend a vivid, they work well, have beginning and end stroke rebound as well as low speed compression. i have one, its reliable, works great, sucks up anything as well as being sensitive.

i found my vivid to run nicer on my flatline than any rocco

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:52 Quote
bluemountainlover wrote:
i reccomend the cane creek double barrel, because they work so sick, and arent 1200$ like bos.

id also reccomend a vivid, they work well, have beginning and end stroke rebound as well as low speed compression. i have one, its reliable, works great, sucks up anything as well as being sensitive.

the good thing about vivids id if you have a freind working at sport check they can get you one for around $230

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:54 Quote
dhrunner wrote:
lcstay10 wrote:
ya, the rc4 will feel awful unless it is tuned for you, and your bike, but once it is, they are amazing. i dont think it would be the best bet for you. look into a rockshock vivid. amazing rear shocks

The vivid is smooth but lacks any sort of bottoming control. My buddy has it. It lacks any high speed compression.

but the vivid has been designed to use all the travel, its meant to be bottomed out. you can turn up the end stroke rebound as well

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:55 Quote
freeride5 wrote:
bluemountainlover wrote:

the good thing about vivids id if you have a freind working at sport check they can get you one for around $230

thats a cool story...if they did it would be the 4.1 which are shit, and have a tendancy to blow up. the 5.1 is an excellent shock

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:56 Quote
bluemountainlover wrote:
freeride5 wrote:
bluemountainlover wrote:

thats a cool story...if they did it would be the 4.1 which are shit, and have a tendancy to blow up. the 5.1 is an excellent shock
thats what i paid for my 5.1

the 4.1 is uber times cheaper

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:58 Quote
freeride5 wrote:
bluemountainlover wrote:
freeride5 wrote:

im going to sport check next time then lol

i paid that for mine too, but i got it from a shop that i get cost at

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 19:06 Quote
bluemountainlover wrote:
freeride5 wrote:
bluemountainlover wrote:

im going to sport check next time then lol

i paid that for mine too, but i got it from a shop that i get cost at
thats pretty much my employee discount from lamberts we just ad 10%

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 9:01 Quote
Well i love my RC4 u haters!! lol..No seriously i do, came off a dhx 5.0 onto the RC4, spent a little time reading then set it up.
I have got mine dialled,and i love it! But i have never ridden Bos or CC so i cant compare.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 18:41 Quote
dhrunner wrote:
giant0rider wrote:
pretty much pointless unless it is tuned to your bike, unless you get it tuned your better off with the 5.0

edit- id say go for the BOS stoy, mainly because it is called the sex toy.

Key word 'basically' It's a shit load of money and not really good for anything but dh.
Why would you have to get it tuned to your bike? In that case would every shock have to be tuned to your bike? Even a dhx 5? The dhx 5 is a weak performance shock. It's an all mountain shock. I don't need shitty propedal for my gravity bike.
so i could tell right now that you have never ridden a quality tuned shock if your calling a DHX "a weak performance shock". Think before you typeDead Horse

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012683
Mobile Version of Website