Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

best way to build dirt jumps

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
best way to build dirt jumps
Posted: Nov 16, 2007 at 0:53 Quote
make the lip really steep, almost vertical and that way u get more airtime.
i like using clay or very packy dirt, then water down every couple of minutes during construction, run your tyres over it to give the lip a good shape, and to make it smooth Big Grin

Posted: Nov 26, 2007 at 12:59 Quote
yer basicly shovel and dirt make a good dirtjump but i say let the experienced biuld one for you...Batman

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 7:23 Quote
i agree the best way to make dj's is out of dirt

i normally use clay

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 10:15 Quote
i build in fields. so when you dig the dirt it is held together by the grass, you end up with big blocks of dirt which is easy to pile up and build with. build in the wet aswellBeer

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 13:20 Quote
in fields there is a lot of wind...

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 10:19 Quote
poutine wrote:
in fields there is a lot of wind...
mine are in a corner surrounded by treesBeer

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 10:30 Quote
get the shape you want, then get it a bit moist, then beat it solid with a 2x4 tup

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 12:40 Quote
Best tips I can give are:

- Pack the dirt and you build
- Get a basic idea of what you want to build first, I mark it out with my shovel, then fill what I marked out with dirt, and keep adding onto it until I have a landing or lip fully build.
- Friends; Two shovels dig faster then one.
- Don't ever put rocks or logs in a lip for filler, they will reapear someday depending on the size of the jump you make.
- Try to make them entirely out of dirt.

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 at 7:14 Quote
I rented a bob cat for $300 a day but always get it for saturday and they drop it off friday afternoon and pick it up monday and you only get charged a day. Its faster, they will last longer, more durable and you can have a good rythm builtin a day. I built a 10pack and a trick jumps in a day, and just shaped the jumps the next morning and rode all afternoon.

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 at 7:17 Quote
Get a load of rabbits/convicts/nuns/orphans with tea spoons to dig the floor up for you. Then you ride on the muffin bumps they make.

i cant take this seriously hahaha

O+
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 18:34 Quote
if u r in a field use grass clumps, just get a shovel and cut them out and pile then Smile its fast and easy

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 18:52 Quote
dig before and after the jumps, liek dig your trails into the ground about a foot, the more dirt you want, just dig the trail wider, it looks cleaner and you wont have to worry about grass. I find it is easy if the jump is half under ground anyways.

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 3:15 Quote
i find that making a massive mound of dirt, hardening it, and carving a lip into it works really well, and gives you a nice even lip with minimal bumps, and use a flat shovel for the shaping

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 3:48 Quote
mtbkers wrote:
if u r in a field use grass clumps, just get a shovel and cut them out and pile then Smile its fast and easy

its to soft

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 7:21 Quote
Depending on the dirt, you can use the rooty top layer to fill the middle an just shape a jump and a landing, saves dirt and its quicker.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.131837
Mobile Version of Website