Powered by Outside

Fox Unveils 831 Fork! 15mm Quick rant

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Fox Unveils 831 Fork! 15mm Quick rant
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 11:53 Quote
windowlicker wrote:
streetparkrider wrote:
if its really 3.8 pounds though that is crazy!
20mm Reba Teams are just about that weight. It's not that crazy.

rebas are more of a trail XC fork, for a DJ fork 3.8 seems pretty impressive, because all the competition for DJ forks are about 1.3-1.4lbs heavier.

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 11:57 Quote
What do you think the 831 is? It's a re-valved lowered 32 Float. Last time I checked the 32 Float was a trail/all mountain fork...

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 12:17 Quote
windowlicker wrote:
What do you think the 831 is? It's a re-valved lowered 32 Float. Last time I checked the 32 Float was a trail/all mountain fork...

even so, im sure fox has paid attention to other details like the stiffness of the crowns, and how much stronger they are etc. im sure there are other things that are in it too, but we just dont know about them. If it is just a revalved lowered float 32 then fox made a big mistake and will suffer in sales from it. ofc, we dont find out anything on how the fork rides until the general public gets them in mid Nov, unless PB or another place gets to do a review.

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 12:20 Quote
jukumber wrote:
If it is just a revalved lowered float 32 then fox made a big mistake and will suffer in sales from it.
Probably not. People are stupid.

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 12:31 Quote
rokor wrote:
No you don't. New hub or spacers/shim for you'r current hub.

jesus, no.

20x110
15x100

How do you shim that?

FL
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 12:35 Quote
crs-one wrote:
rokor wrote:
No you don't. New hub or spacers/shim for you'r current hub.

jesus, no.

20x110
15x100

How do you shim that?
hope hubs have managed it...

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 12:36 Quote
No they haven't. They have different cups for 9, 15, and 20mm axles. What rokor is suggesting is shoving a 2.5mm thick shim in your 20mm hub, which obviously will not work.

FL
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 12:41 Quote
crs-one wrote:
No they haven't. They have different cups for 9, 15, and 20mm axles. What rokor is suggesting is shoving a 2.5mm thick shim in your 20mm hub, which obviously will not work.
oh yeah that is a shit idea, lol i was being thick there, but i thought 15qr still used 110mm hubs though? It seems silly to used a narrower hub as it would make a flexier wheel and less rigid (lateraly) forks?

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 12:43 Quote
No-one ever said the 15mm standard makes sense. I would think that DT and Shimano would want to keep more of the 15mm money for themselves, so if you could easily universally shim 20mm hubs, why buy one of theirs?

Of course, since many hubs, like the Pro 2, are convertable with cups from 9x100 to 20x110....it's just a pain in the ass, really.

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 2:36 Quote
i actually the 9mm should be phased out and only make 15 and 20mm. the 9mm is just a pain in the ass, it doesnt feel as good as a thicker axle since it flexes more. im seriously considering guinea pigging this fork if i have the money when it comes out, you really cant go wrong with a fox so either way itll be better than my dj1 which no longer has rebound adjust

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 12:50 Quote
windowlicker wrote:
Exactly what I thought when I saw it.

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 13:00 Quote
Its all bullshit though isn't it? I mean come on! lets say you've got two bikes with 20mm forks on both, spare wheel right?

One 15mm fork and one 20 mm fork, NO spare wheel!!!

And the wheight savings are minimal!

And I as a Bike mechanic am f*cking tired of stupid petty new standards like this!

Thats my opinion though.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
Y'know whats really funny. bout ten years ago, Marzocchi and a couple the other guys took their triple crown forks and decided that a 9mm axle wasn't strong enough, and put 20mm axles on all of them. Everyone went insane... but what if I need to switch a wheel from my xc bike to my downhill bike. now i'm going to have to buy a new wheel, or relace my wheel. and people would reply, well, if you can afford a set of SuperT's, you can afford a new wheel, or to get this one relaced. Same thing happened with back wheels as well when everyone switched from 135 to 150.

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 13:24 Quote
dannythekiwi wrote:
Its all bullshit though isn't it? I mean come on! lets say you've got two bikes with 20mm forks on both, spare wheel right?

One 15mm fork and one 20 mm fork, NO spare wheel!!!

And the wheight savings are minimal!

And I as a Bike mechanic am f*cking tired of stupid petty new standards like this!

Thats my opinion though.

buy hope hubs and get adapters then broo

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 13:30 Quote
nosebleed wrote:
Y'know whats really funny. bout ten years ago, Marzocchi and a couple the other guys took their triple crown forks and decided that a 9mm axle wasn't strong enough, and put 20mm axles on all of them. Everyone went insane... but what if I need to switch a wheel from my xc bike to my downhill bike. now i'm going to have to buy a new wheel, or relace my wheel. and people would reply, well, if you can afford a set of SuperT's, you can afford a new wheel, or to get this one relaced. Same thing happened with back wheels as well when everyone switched from 135 to 150.

That's kind of a lame comparison. For one thing, the 20mm standard offered a HUGE strength and stiffness over the only other prevalent standard, 9mm. The 15mm standard offers no new highs in strength or lows in weight, it's merely an intermediary. Massively overweight compared to the lightest 9mm set-ups, not nearly as strong as the stronger 20mm set-ups. You could make the same argument for the rear, but subbing in 135x10 for the 9mm fork standard, 150x12 for 20mm, and X-12 for 15mm.

And if they were going for strength over the 9mm standard, and creating a whole new subset of forks and hubs (by necessity, just think about it)...WHY would they not make it 15x110? Wider hubs = stronger, wider flanges = stronger wheelbuild, not to mention it's easier to step down from 20mm hubs. Explain that, and I'll maybe consider the 15mm standard as legit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009572
Mobile Version of Website