Powered by Outside

Why are the british (England Wales Scotland Northern Ireland) the best in the world?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Why are the british (England Wales Scotland Northern Ireland) the best in the world?
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 15:21 Quote
sam hill is australian but he isnt consistent but he he has one it is well u no like 12 seconds ahead

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 15:24 Quote
i say wales is the best yes haha lol am only jokin

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 15:34 Quote
nothingsshocking wrote:
alot of it has to do with how much funding a country gives to its different cycling teams for training travel ect. Here in Canada Downhill doesnt get hardly any funding and riders have to pay for mostly everything if they want to compete
exactly. I think this guys on the money.

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 15:38 Quote
Its their accents. Lol jk

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 15:46 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
mxmitch wrote:
You can't say you have the best statisticlt but not tell us any stats! n00bz

Ok so,

France has 10 Men's World Championships and 11 Women's World Championships. France also have 6 Men's World Cups Overall and 9 Women's World Cups Overall. Compared to the UK which has 1 Men's World Championship and 1 Women's World Championship. They also have 3 World Cups Overall in the men's and 2 World Cups overall in the women's...

While numbers don't lie I don't agree with this statement. Over half of those titles were won by the same man and the french have won few titles in recent years (Barel in 2004 & 2005 ?). It doesn't really classify France as a exceptional nation but rather two athletes as extraordinary that happen to be french (Vouilloz and Chausson that is).

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 15:54 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
slipknot93dh wrote:
mxmitch wrote:
You can't say you have the best statisticlt but not tell us any stats! n00bz

Ok so,

France has 10 Men's World Championships and 11 Women's World Championships. France also have 6 Men's World Cups Overall and 9 Women's World Cups Overall. Compared to the UK which has 1 Men's World Championship and 1 Women's World Championship. They also have 3 World Cups Overall in the men's and 2 World Cups overall in the women's...

While numbers don't lie I don't agree with this statement. Over half of those titles were won by the same man and the french have won few titles in recent years (Barel in 2004 & 2005 ?). It doesn't really classify France as a exceptional nation but rather two athletes as extraordinary that happen to be french.

Yes, true but they had some other spectacular riders who won a few World Cups. CG and Mickael Pascal come to mind. But for years, the French, not just Vouilloz and Chausson, had the DH scene wrapped up...

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 at 2:16 Quote
it comes to this,france is the most dominate country in DH history.

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 at 2:49 Quote
France def have the results, i'd say Auzy have the best riders, NZ are pretty bloody good if you look at the population size.

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 at 2:56 Quote
"It's not that we're arrogant we're just better than you"

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 at 3:35 Quote
MictheAussie wrote:
Basically you have Peaty and the Athertons.
Without those 4, Brits would not be the close to the best in the world. Four people don't make you as a country the best.
so Miami Bryce, Cunny and Moseley to name a few never place???

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 at 3:51 Quote
BSCUK wrote:
A question for everyone. We dont have the biggest of mountain ranges but we are still the best statistically. Is it genetics or the fact that we ride whatever the conditions? Many a time i and a few mates have had a whole wet mountain to ourselves in the alps.

Your argument is pretty thin. You have nothing to support it other than the incidence of a number of riders from the same country being competitive at the current time. Statistically, these are pretty good odds.

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 at 3:55 Quote
statistically the british are nowhere near the most successful riders on the circuit, that would be the french.

we have a few good riders and a couple of extremely good riders but we simply dont have the numbers, funding and support needed to compete realistically. if the athertons, peaty et al were given the sort of government/lottery funding that our track riders are afforded then it might be a different story, but cycling as a sport has long been the preserve of the upper and middle classes and theyre not about to give any attention, let alone cash, to a bunch of hooligans in body armour so that they can ride thier tractors down a mountainside.

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 at 4:07 Quote
xcrisx wrote:
statistically the british are nowhere near the most successful riders on the circuit, that would be the french.

we have a few good riders and a couple of extremely good riders but we simply dont have the numbers, funding and support needed to compete realistically. if the athertons, peaty et al were given the sort of government/lottery funding that our track riders are afforded then it might be a different story, but cycling as a sport has long been the preserve of the upper and middle classes and theyre not about to give any attention, let alone cash, to a bunch of hooligans in body armour so that they can ride thier tractors down a mountainside.

Im just imagining all these hill billies just thrashing their tractors down fort bill or in the boneyard.

and just so my post is'nt totally irelevant.

The Brits are okay....I guess. No really a comparison to Australia though.

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 at 11:15 Quote
Danny hart is also the leading junior.

Posted: Sep 6, 2009 at 0:52 Quote
Only asking because that is how it feels currently. You could ask other disciplines and they would say the same. Jamie Staff said "I dont care where we come so long as we beat the Australians!" they did and they still are,ask Chris Hoy.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011282
Mobile Version of Website