Powered by Outside

Fuel EX8 Build progress.

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 at 19:40 Quote
oakmtnman wrote:
Rattsl wrote:
Well, I do work at a shop, and yes I get things at cost, but damn, flat bar road shifters? Your also running force! Wouldn't that wear down the chain quicker though. I'll do the bar and post and saddle though, I'll hold off on the wheels for a bit.

...its a narrower chain in terms of width of pins,but all else is the same, so they do not wear down significantly quicker than 9-speed...cyclocross is famous for mud, and guess what they run? Big Grin

I'm guessing you all sell bontrager stuff...I've been riding a 154mm inform saddle...best purchase I ever made. The race x lite is dual density and fits like a charm. You should try those out...plus, with the weight savings they also have a fit guarantee!
Well I have been thinking on buying a Specialized Phenom saddle, which everyone at my shop swears by it, plus I do like the Specialized fit a bit better and weight is great (230g). I am still depating bars, I can cheap out entirely and use my Enduro bars with 660mm length and 40mm rise at 230g, or I can buy a Easton Monkeylite XC at 190g or whatever with a 685mm length. Post, Thomson is the best, but maybe a Titec Prolite, I'm still searching.

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 at 19:41 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
Rattsl wrote:
I'll hold off on the wheels for a bit.

Mine were 1890 grams which isn't too bad. As mentioned sure you could save 100+ grams easier and cheaper. Plus your 8 is lighter, I'm stuck at 29.4
Lol, that's because of your fork bro duhh...I'll keep mine till it dies.

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 at 19:42 Quote
Shhhh its within earshot, I don't want it to hear that its a little obese.

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 at 19:45 Quote
I wanna keep mine around 26lbs, I like my tires though, it's gonna be tough to get me to use other ones. 710g for the front and 680g for the rear, oh well....My bar is mad heavy, I should see some dramatic weight loss in bar, post, and saddle though.

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 at 20:01 Quote
Rattsl wrote:
I'll do the bar and post and saddle though
What types are you thinking ?

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 at 20:03 Quote
Either Specialized Enduro bar at 660mm length or Easton Monkeylite XC at 685mm, Enduro I have and Monkeylite is lighter but expensive...not too shabby on cost though...and Post...Thomson FTW but...oh well, Thomson FTW, and saddle..Specialized Phenom at 230g

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 at 20:05 Quote
Why not the Spec Toupe, quite a bit lighter.

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 at 20:06 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
Why not the Spec Toupe, quite a bit lighter.
Road saddle...Weaker...and...idk...I'll look at the 2010 ones, but my co workers will make fun of me once again.

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2009 at 10:07 Quote
carbon bar, thomson post and stem, lighter wheelset, xt groupset etc etc

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 8:43 Quote
I used some kcnc parts on my son's bike to drop some weight. I saved about 1.5lbs with the kcnc seatpost, stem, a lighter seat, and carbon bars. The casette is heavy, a pg990 will shave some weight. You didn't mention the fork. A manitou minute mrd will shave a pound off of almost anything. The reliability is way up from 04/05. I have 07 nixons and minutes with 2 years hard use, and no problems. Have your wheels relaced with something like sapim cx ray spokes(my favorite), DT revolution, pillar aero, dt aero and aluminum nipples. You might only save 1/4 to 3/4 pound, but the wheels will feel amazing. If you are worried about strength, I used sun sos wheels with pillar aero spokes at whistler, and I weigh 270lbs. After 4 days, I only needed a slight truing.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 9:45 Quote
Probably the best place to start losing weight is in the tires. I have no idea what trek stuff weighs but going with lighter tires can easily save you a pound for a few hundred dollars. I stayed with a UST on the back cause I shred sidewalls otherwise, but just by switching from Nevegal/Crossmark to Nobby Nic/The Captain I dropped about a pound or a little more.

From there it gets expensive. From LX to XT it's about $10/gram. Money well invested in my opinion.

From XT to XTR it's more like $100/gram. Pretty costy for what you get (again IMHO).

Some people say that 100 grams of rotational weight is worth a pound of non rotational weight, so for the value I'd spend money on a race wheel set. Don't ride it every day, keep it for special occasions. Go XTR, Roval Controle SL, Crossmax, or hey, make me proud and go spend the 5 large on a set of Fulcrum Carbon wheels.

From there stem + bars +seat post + grips + bottle cage +seat you could probably spend a grand on Easton EA90 and/or Thompson Masterpiece to save around a whopping 1 pound. I do love my Phenom SL seat.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 9:57 Quote
What I am thinking is building me a set of Stans 355 rims laced to (Blank) hubs, get a Thomson post, my bar is great in terms of weight 225g, grips..I like the feel. Tires. Front weighs 700g and rear is 680g, I am tubeless. Drivetrain will be switched to X.9 derailleur and X.9 shifter and XT cassette. As for the brakes, I may upgrade the rotors for some lighter ones like Formulas or the ever so madly expensive Scrubs.Saddle will be a Phenom SL though. That's all I can think of though

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 10:06 Quote
680 G is still a fairly heavy front tire. Sidewall damage is much more rare on the front so you could easily save half a pound there. I think a non UST Nic is 450g ish.

Good call on the rotors. The lightest ones on the market are made by Hope I believe.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 10:08 Quote
I ride pretty agressive and I am a hack on the trails at times, currently I have a 2.4 up front and the rear is 2.1 actual 2.2. I wouldnt mind going to a 2.3 and 2.1 2.2 setup though, I would like to keep the front wider than 2.2.

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 at 9:36 Quote
Couple of things I did, by switching to a 2x9 drivetrain, and having X.9 derailleur and shifters and a Specialized Phenom Sl saddle. My bike weighs 28lbs and 2oz. My goal for now is 26lbs with a burly xc build. I still want a wide front tire since all my weight goes towards the front. I was looking at Specialized Purgatory 2bliss at 715g for a 2.4 and matching it up with another Purgatory 2.2 for the rear at 600g. Doesn't lose much weight from my current setup so scratch that for now. Post, I will get a Thomson Elite eventually, stem...Thomson eventually, my current handlebar is a Specialized Enduro bar at 26.5" and weighs 222g! I also shaved my crankset and the cranks with 2 rings (34t blackspire and 22t shimano with 34t Gamut G25 bash) weighs in at 780g. Wheels, eventually I will like to build up ZTR Arches with Hopes. Any other suggestions?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017380
Mobile Version of Website