Powered by Outside

RaceFace purchased by MEC Co-op to become in house brand, LBS gets screwed

PB Forum :: Other
RaceFace purchased by MEC Co-op to become in house brand, LBS gets screwed
Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 14:19 Quote
soulandsadness wrote:
I agree that the distribution system drives prices higher but by buying all of your parts in the US you aren't helping to lower Canadian prices and you are making it way more difficult for your local bike shops to stay in business which hurts all of us in the long run. Plus it's true that you can illegally bring things into Canada without declaring them and avoid paying duties and taxes but when you get caught it will cost you a lot more in the long run. What we should be doing is building good relationships with local bike shops that are willing to price things at a competitive level and support our own bike industry.

Who said anything about bringing parts in Canada illegally! All I simply do is have my shipments sent via USPS and rarely I ever pay duty unless it's an item which is big and of extreme high value. I started cycling at the age of 16 on quality bikes and purchased everything till 5 years ago localy and I'm now 45 so do the math. Purchasing from your LBS will not drop prices by 20-30% and on $1000 worth of product you save up to $300. I have spent far more then $15k the past 10 years and 60% was purchased here, still getting high prices. I go to the same shop the last 12years, ride with the head mechanic and don't get better prices.

Big problem in Canada is theirs always a greedy middle man taking money driving the retail prices higher. Sorry but I work my ass off to earn my money and if I can save 30% then so be it because at the end of the day the LBS owner doesn't give a crap about you and I so long as he's got his money in the pocket. The way the system is done here it's dictatorship, you buy from the distributors or you get nothing. Some shops years ago tried to purchase directly with a US box office and got cut off when they got caught.

Cheers

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 15:30 Quote
Rigaud wrote:
I get the same parts in the U.S. for far less and I manage to pay no duty with low shipping charges.
So true. Chris King hubs for example. They're about $100 to $150 in the U.S and in Canada they're like $500.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 17:51 Quote
SkiRacer wrote:
Rigaud wrote:
I get the same parts in the U.S. for far less and I manage to pay no duty with low shipping charges.
So true. Chris King hubs for example. They're about $100 to $150 in the U.S and in Canada they're like $500.

Please tell me where I can get a Chris King135mm ISO rear disc hub for $100-$150.

This thread doesn't need people like you making up prices or exaggerating things.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 17:53 Quote
Wow. No made up prices. I got one directly from Chris King shipped to Ogdensburg, NY. I later went and picked it up (1 hour drive). Do you need a receipt photocopy?

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 18:14 Quote
He got that price quote from me, I am assuming.
I told him I got my Chris King SS for 100 bucks, basically brand new off of a friend. I think he misunderstood me.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 18:15 Quote
I got 1 for 150
That's why I said $100 - $150. It could always be more though.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 18:23 Quote
i love race face, top end stuff

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 18:38 Quote
my boys bike shop
crohnsy wrote:
SkiRacer wrote:
Rigaud wrote:

Please tell me where I can get a Chris King135mm ISO rear disc hub for $100-$150.

This thread doesn't need people like you making up prices or exaggerating things.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 18:49 Quote
The US markups are way different than the Cdn markups at the bike shop level for some items. Thats why you see such a discrepancy in the pricing in King components and Fox forks, for example, as opposed to the US prices. Its not always the distributors fault (it can bem but I find on the higher end stuff it tends to the be US LBS markup).

I want to see what on Monday what is really going on. Its seems to me that there are a couple of different versions of what has happened.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 18:52 Quote
gutless wrote:
my boys bike shop
crohnsy wrote:
SkiRacer wrote:

And will you sell me one for that price?

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 18:54 Quote
thats for front only i think the rear is more ill find out tommorrow
crohnsy wrote:
gutless wrote:
my boys bike shop
crohnsy wrote:

And will you sell me one for that price?

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 18:58 Quote
SkiRacer wrote:
Wow. No made up prices. I got one directly from Chris King shipped to Ogdensburg, NY. I later went and picked it up (1 hour drive). Do you need a receipt photocopy?

unless you own a shop Chris King doesn't sell direct.

[Quoten]Can I order from Chris King directly?
Answer: It depends on who you are. If you are:

One of our loyal end users: We do not sell complete components directly to the consumer. However, any of our accessories as well as all of the tools and replacement/spare parts are available. Check out our small parts for sale on-line. You can also give our customer service folks a call (800.523.600Cool to place an order for small parts or for help finding a dealer near you.

a retail bicycle shop: We do sell directly to Bike shops. If you're not already authorized to sell our products, give us a call and we'll get you set up.

a bicycle parts distributor: We deal with a limited number of distributors around the world. If you are interested in being considered as a distributor, contact our international/distributor account wrangler.

If you have any more questions about ordering Chris King Precision Components, please contact our customer service folks at 800.523.600[/Quoten]

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 19:29 Quote
Rigaud wrote:
soulandsadness wrote:
I agree that the distribution system drives prices higher but by buying all of your parts in the US you aren't helping to lower Canadian prices and you are making it way more difficult for your local bike shops to stay in business which hurts all of us in the long run. Plus it's true that you can illegally bring things into Canada without declaring them and avoid paying duties and taxes but when you get caught it will cost you a lot more in the long run. What we should be doing is building good relationships with local bike shops that are willing to price things at a competitive level and support our own bike industry.

Who said anything about bringing parts in Canada illegally! All I simply do is have my shipments sent via USPS and rarely I ever pay duty unless it's an item which is big and of extreme high value. I started cycling at the age of 16 on quality bikes and purchased everything till 5 years ago localy and I'm now 45 so do the math. Purchasing from your LBS will not drop prices by 20-30% and on $1000 worth of product you save up to $300. I have spent far more then $15k the past 10 years and 60% was purchased here, still getting high prices. I go to the same shop the last 12years, ride with the head mechanic and don't get better prices.

Big problem in Canada is theirs always a greedy middle man taking money driving the retail prices higher. Sorry but I work my ass off to earn my money and if I can save 30% then so be it because at the end of the day the LBS owner doesn't give a crap about you and I so long as he's got his money in the pocket. The way the system is done here it's dictatorship, you buy from the distributors or you get nothing. Some shops years ago tried to purchase directly with a US box office and got cut off when they got caught.

Cheers

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 20:54 Quote
Whats the big deal? RaceFace will still be available in LBS's through other distributors like Norco, OCG and Jenson will they not? It isn't like RaceFace said peace Lambert, it was Lambert who dropped RF.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 22:18 Quote
dmacki wrote:
The US markups are way different than the Cdn markups at the bike shop level for some items. Thats why you see such a discrepancy in the pricing in King components and Fox forks, for example, as opposed to the US prices. Its not always the distributors fault (it can bem but I find on the higher end stuff it tends to the be US LBS markup).

I want to see what on Monday what is really going on. Its seems to me that there are a couple of different versions of what has happened.

Theirs only one story and MEC did not purchase Race Face, as well MEC which has some Crank Bro products will be offering the entire product line in 2010.

brentjj wrote:
Whats the big deal? RaceFace will still be available in LBS's through other distributors like Norco, OCG and Jenson will they not? It isn't like RaceFace said peace Lambert, it was Lambert who dropped RF.

Nope, not from what I know NORCO and OCG don't have the line for distributorship, also Jensonusa is not a Canadian distributor but a US online retailer so nothing to do with this topic.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016217
Mobile Version of Website