Powered by Outside

Building muscle in general

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Building muscle in general
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 at 16:30 Quote
woody-dh wrote:
Push-ups don't work your biceps; they work your triceps and minorly work your pectorials.

i gotta ask, where did it say pushups worked your biceps?Confused and the muscle groups they work depend on the postion of your hands. normal pushups work your chest with your triceps and front delts being the secondary muscles involved. close hand pushups or diamond pushups, mainly work the triceps with the chest and front delts being the secondary muscles.

Posted: Nov 28, 2009 at 17:19 Quote
dmanj wrote:
woody-dh wrote:
Push-ups don't work your biceps; they work your triceps and minorly work your pectorials.

i gotta ask, where did it say pushups worked your biceps?Confused and the muscle groups they work depend on the postion of your hands. normal pushups work your chest with your triceps and front delts being the secondary muscles involved. close hand pushups or diamond pushups, mainly work the triceps with the chest and front delts being the secondary muscles.
im different i do pushups on my fists haha like a gorilla Big Grin

Posted: Nov 28, 2009 at 19:02 Quote
dmanj wrote:
woody-dh wrote:

4th post.

bigquotesDo some good ol' push-ups

He said he wanted to build his bicep and that guy said do push-ups. And I also do puch-ups on my fists. Wink

Posted: Nov 28, 2009 at 19:25 Quote
woody-dh wrote:
dmanj wrote:
woody-dh wrote:

4th post.

bigquotesDo some good ol' push-ups

He said he wanted to build his bicep and that guy said do push-ups. And I also do puch-ups on my fists. Wink
* Wide grip push-ups (chest and triceps)
* Diamond presses (triceps and front delts)
* Knuckle push-ups (triceps, wrists and front delts)
* regular push ups, with arms placed on the ground, shoulder width apart, keeping the elbows close to the side.

Posted: Nov 28, 2009 at 19:32 Quote
If you want a push-up challenge, try going on the back of your wrists. Like this. I can do it, but not on solid concrete...

Posted: Nov 28, 2009 at 19:37 Quote
woody-dh wrote:

He said he wanted to build his bicep and that guy said do push-ups.

bigquotesim looking to build muscle in my abs,pecks and arms

i see nothing about strictly biceps

Posted: Nov 28, 2009 at 21:09 Quote
okay found somthing that is not a joke and will work. i will probably be starting this haha

Spartan 300 Workout

Ready to become a Spartan Warrior? With some training its possible to do. This workout is a decently quick one and will push you to the extreme. There is NO required equipment needed for this workout. Just find a good spot on the floor and maybe turn on some music and begin.

The point of this workout is to complete it as quickly as possible with as few breaks as you can. Retaining perfect form is a must throughout the entire session. Complete one excercise with precision, then move on to the next immediately or with only a few seconds break. These are all simple excercises, but when they are put together, they make the ultimate workout.

An optional addition to this workout is to add a flight or two of stairs inbetween each excercise. This will make your legs steal neccessary oxygen from your arms and abs, putting them under more stress for a better workout.
Spartan 300 Workout

* 30 pushups, elbows in.
* 30 pushups, elbows out.
* 15 pushups, hands as close to your hips as possible.
* 20 pushups keeping one hand away from you, and the other near you. (alternate hands each pushup)
* 10 dip/dive pushups.
* 10 clap pushups, push off the ground and clap hands before landing.
* 10 inclined pushups, put your feet on something about a foot tall.
* 30 second ab hold, lay down on your back and lift both your feet and your shoulder blades off the ground a few inches. Do not allow your feet to go too high or touch the floor. Leave your hands to either side of you not touching the ground.
* 30 second ab cross-over sissors.
* 30 second ab hold a second time.
* 10 leg lifts, lay down to some sort of post, hold on to it with your hands and lift your legs up to a near 90 degree angle.
* 10 leg lifts, same thing, now lift your legs up further in the air after you reach 90 degrees.
* 50 V-sit ups, same thing as a normal sit up only you bring your legs up as well as your sholders.
* 1 forward plank held for 60 seconds (or longer if you can), push up position with elbows/forarms on the ground. Have your hands together like you are praying. keep back as straight as possible and don’t allow your butt to sink down too low or up too high.
* 5 normal pushups in between each plank, 15 total.
* 2 side planks held for 45 seconds (or longer if you can), one elbow/forearm on the ground with the other in the air, facing to the side, keep same position as a regular plank.

Tips

* Remember to drink lots of water afterwards, some before, and a little while doing exercise.
* You can go a little out of order if you wish too, just make sure that they are done with little breaks!
* Do this workout at least 2 times a week and keep it going.
* Try not to do 2 Spartan workouts, one the day after the first… the second day is needed for recovery so that you can build up for the next one.
* EAT, much of what you are is what you eat. So keep a heathly diet to get good performance with this workout.
* Complete in good time. 20 minutes is perfect, but don’t cheat yourself. If you are finishing in less than 10 minutes, I can tell you that you are doing something wrong. (pushups or sit ups are done too fast, slower will give you a better workout) If you are above 30 minutes, you could just be out of shape, but try to take less breaks.
* Roar when necessary to get that last pushup or sit up done.

Warnings

* Be sure you are physically fit to do this workout.
* Stretch.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 5:44 Quote
Man don't worry about the "Spartan" I used to be a drug free body builder here's what you want, no weights required.
The idea of getting stronger and larger is based on progressive overload. The best way to achieve this is through high intesity exercise. Now seeing that you have no equipment you will be doing push-ups. However your feet must be off the floor either on a chair or your bed, this will work your upper chest an shoulders harder, which is the weakest point of any-ones chest and upper body.
What you're trying to achieve will be done in three sets and it will be done to failure- which means each set you do will end when you can't do another full repition. Just try not to focus on the amount of reps you do as you go through your 3 sets because you'll get the highest reps on your first set less on your second set and bugger all on your third. This will not mean you're weak, instead it will mean that you have worked yourself to a point of total failure 3 times, bellieve me you'll know what intensity is because your pecs will feel like burning frypans.
Here's an example Set 1 50 reps
Set 2 30 reps
Set 3 12 reps

What ever you can do on the first set you will not be able to do on the second or third. Give yourself about 3-3.30 mins between sets to recover and go again. Don't stop on a set until you are unable to do another complete repition you'll know this point because when you go to "push up" you won't be able to make it to the top.
After doing this don't try again for 3-4 days in this time your muscles need to recover and physically, believe me, you wont be able to do it again for at least this time period. In fact feel your pecs daily and when they no longer feel sore give yourself another day before you attempt it again.
I'd recomment doing the same thing with chin-ups as well in between your pushup day just find something to hang off that's straight and use a grip wider than your shoulders.
Remember to keep your back straight when doing these push-ups by contracting your abs no arching stiff as aboard. In a couple'o'months you'll notice that the total repitions for the three sets will rise dramaticly. If you stick to it.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 15:04 Quote
Ride, Ride, Ride

Last winter i went to the gym and got into shape. I just rode during the summer, sundays, 2-3 hour rides and mabey one lighter ride during the week, no gym and i kept in shape just fine. If you can do home type workouts or get to the gym, all the better.

Posted: Dec 1, 2009 at 4:22 Quote
Oh yeah , I forgot you still gotta ride - of course. This type of exersise is very intense, under no circumstance should you do it 2 days after attempting it, sounds weird but it will hammer you pretty bad and so only do it when your not sore for the best results, You wont believe it but the whole thing will probably take about 15 minutes to complete and you won't believe how exercising to falure along with correct rest periods will shatter your idea of hard. and give you BIG results.

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 at 5:36 Quote
yea pretty much don't eat fast food(healthy diet), don't touch energy drinks
like red bull n all that crap and if you don't wana go 2 the gym i rekon if you
do around 200 chin ups and 70 push ups or more per day it has a great impact on your body

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 at 8:42 Quote
caleb7 wrote:
yea pretty much don't eat fast food(healthy diet), don't touch energy drinks
like red bull n all that crap and if you don't wana go 2 the gym i rekon if you
do around 200 chin ups and 70 push ups or more per day it has a great impact on your body

doing that mch will deffinately increase your endurance but it wont gain you a whole lot of muscle. to gain muscle you want to keep the reps low and weight high. but in his case if he were to just find a backpack and fill it with stuff and use that for weight it would work too

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 at 8:50 Quote
take wieghts and tie them to the frame of your bike. then, ride to and up the steepest hill you can find in one speed every other day. forces to you use your bars for leverage.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 4:11 Quote
well as im sure uv discovered by now, eating right is just as important in building muscle than exercising. after exercise uv got about 20 mins to take in some recovery food and PROTEIN. dont bother with protein shakes, they dont really do much, just take them if you have problems with eating that amount of food everydy. then again, your personal body build will affect size,,if uv been naturaly skrawny ur whle life then ull more likely to just tone your muscles. general guide to home exercises, push ups, crunchs, hyperextensions, squats (amazing), tricep dips, pul ups. alwys stretch before and after, nd warm up and down. oh yeah and try and do 4 reps of 20 for each exercis. usually leave yourself a week of recovery to allow your body to build th mass back up. (note: this is a program for size, muscular endurance and strength/power training require different frequency's

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 4:33 Quote
unfortunately, you need to progressively increase the resistance (the weight) if you want to really build muscle. The body adapts very quickly, and if you just do push ups, or chin ups, you will notice some quick initial improvment, but it will stop very quickly if you're not adding additional weight. The 'do 200 chin ups a day' advice is just horrible. It's a reoccuring answer here whenever anyone asks about muscle: the more is better advice. It's not true that the more you do, the more you get. Your training should be built on quality, not quantity.

Firstly, you need to get some weights (a barbell, dumbells, kettlebells, a big bag of sand, anything which will provide resistance).

Secondly, you need to try out routines, find what works for you, how long you need to recover, when is the best time of the day to train. No one can tell you this, it's something you need to work out for yourself. You have to listen to your body, trail and error. You'll know when it's working because you will feel stronger once you've recovered, lift more/perform better, and of course you'll be getting physically bigger.

Thirdly, eat lots of carbs: they provide you with energy, and if you want to destroy your muscles in an effort to make them grow, you'll need a lot of energy. Try to consume a good amount of healthy fats too (peanut butter, olive oils, nuts, seeds, etc), and lastly, aim for about one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight - but don't even think about the protein until you're stuffing your face with plenty of clean (as clean as they can be) carbs and fats.

Lastly, go to a website where people can give you informed advice. Bikers are not generally concerned with building muscle, and therefore are not in a position to give you worthy advice.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016783
Mobile Version of Website