Powered by Outside

Profile hub on DJ bike

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Profile hub on DJ bike
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 12:48 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
the-stig-on-a-bike wrote:
duboiss wrote:
it doesnt work. The chainline will be way off. Theirs a reason why profile made a mtb hub and bmx hub. The spacing is diffrent by 25mm and diffrent axel size to. Your answer is no.

not even if i made spacers. me and my dad are qualified engineers and we have the tools to do it.

No, spacers will not solve the problem. Even if you build spacers, it will not change the location of the cog/driver and that is where the issue is.

If you look at where your chain lines sits with a 135mm, you will have to subtract 12.5mm from the width on that side. The issue then is moving the cranks in that same distance to retain a straight chain line. I don't know about your bike but most bikes do not have that much room to work with which is why the MTB specific SS hub was created.
what about if i run a 25mm spacer on the non drive side of the hub so the driver is still in the correct position? i have done this before on odd size mtb hubs so surely it will work for this?

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 13:10 Quote
You will have to redish the crap out of the wheel to get it right if you can manage any reasonable chainline. How about getting a proper hub for the intended purpose? Why go through all of the work?

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 13:11 Quote
demo-9 wrote:
You will have to redish the crap out of the wheel to get it right if you can manage any reasonable chainline. How about getting a proper hub for the intended purpose? Why go through all of the work?
i can redish it. and its cos i dont have the money to replace my djd with another

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 14:02 Quote
What about axle length? I haven't seen a Profile hub in ages but you're going to need an additional inch of axle just to make it fit and that's not including properly installing the nuts.

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 at 3:27 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
What about axle length? I haven't seen a Profile hub in ages but you're going to need an additional inch of axle just to make it fit and that's not including properly installing the nuts.
i can sort that out aswell.

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 at 5:10 Quote
if you really were a qualified engineer you would realize that this is a horrible idea, just give up now Facepalm

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 at 10:57 Quote
right i have the hub :
photo

this is how it sits in the frame:
photo

how much gap needs filling:
photo

im going to take the hub and some 17mm rod to school tomorrow and mill up a correct size 1 piece spacer for it so its able to sit in the frame flush.

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 at 11:15 Quote
What is your BB shell width

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 at 11:18 Quote
If its 73mm you can get away with a 4-5mm spacer on the drive side by using no spacer on the BB(as if it were 68mm). This will make your wheel less dished.

Posted: Apr 10, 2010 at 14:03 Quote
or buy a captital frame from ns for 250 and your be rolling Smile

Posted: Apr 11, 2010 at 16:28 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Lol.....chainline. That's all I'll say about that genius plan.

exactly what I was thinking my friend.

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 8:37 Quote
A correct chainline is over rated. I mean who wants a chain to actually line up and not skip? Ha. Go make your spacers and report back. Then report on how quickly your chain snaps and/or the hub blows up.

Also good luck dishing that wheel to accomodate the 15mm of spacer.

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 13:58 Quote
just get some crank spacers and stick them on the axel... thats what my mate did with an odyssey hub and his dmr tranny

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 13:59 Quote
demo-9 wrote:
A correct chainline is over rated. I mean who wants a chain to actually line up and not skip? Ha. Go make your spacers and report back. Then report on how quickly your chain snaps and/or the hub blows up.

Also good luck dishing that wheel to accomodate the 15mm of spacer.
tbf chainline is a load of shit... think about bikes with gears for example

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017755
Mobile Version of Website