Powered by Outside

When will you give up riding?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
When will you give up riding?
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 at 16:55 Quote
well alot of you guys have good motivation

i always told myself that when i was younger,that i would never stop and i would ride till i was an old man.

sometimes shit happens though,you start to get older,get into cars or school or military ,girlfriend,or what have you and you gotta just take a break.

sucks to think about but it happens

happened to me multiple times but i just keep coming back and i usually pick up where i left off and get a little better each time.

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 at 18:55 Quote
baz666 wrote:
I'm 40 and just getting started.

Hahahahha, nice man.

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 5:01 Quote
but i'll maybe start riding a bit less when i'm 90

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 5:03 Quote
When i loose the fight with self preservation.

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 14:34 Quote
marquis wrote:
You do realise that you have a responsibility to the rest of us to never give up? Otherwise the world will implode and pb will collapse in on itself. I have this on fairly good authority.

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 14:47 Quote
diponyou wrote:

i always told myself that when i was younger,that i would never stop and i would ride till i was an old man.

sometimes shit happens though,you start to get older,get into cars or school or military ,girlfriend,or what have you and you gotta just take a break.

happened to me multiple times but i just keep coming back and i usually pick up where i left off and get a little better each time.

That is a reality for most people unfortunately. I've ridden with many people that were going to ride their bikes until they died; I ride by myself most days because all the guys I used to ride with stopped and I can't relate to the younger generation of riders that do ride.

I think the biggest killer for most people's motivation is their local scene/environment. Unless you're fortunate enough to live in a diverse riding area, a lot of people burn out on riding their local stuff and over time that desire to get out on the bike fades until you fall out. It also doesn't help as you watch your riding buddies quit leaving you with no one to ride with. From there some people return but most don't.

I for one am one of those people, I'm on the falling out right now and I plan to ride until it's no longer fun and admittedly my love of riding and the thrill I get nowadays is nowhere near what it was 10 years ago.

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 14:48 Quote
When I stop feeling a thrill from riding then it is time to let it go

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 14:51 Quote
when my legs and arms fall off!!!Salute

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 14:51 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
diponyou wrote:

That is a reality for most people unfortunately. I've ridden with many people that were going to ride their bikes until they died; I ride by myself most days because all the guys I used to ride with stopped and I can't relate to the younger generation of riders that do ride.

I think the biggest killer for most people's motivation is their local scene/environment. Unless you're fortunate enough to live in a diverse riding area, a lot of people burn out on riding their local stuff and over time that desire to get out on the bike fades until you fall out. It also doesn't help as you watch your riding buddies quit leaving you with no one to ride with. From there some people return but most don't.

I for one am one of those people, I'm on the falling out right now and I plan to ride until it's no longer fun and admittedly my love of riding and the thrill I get nowadays is nowhere near what it was 10 years ago.
Dude, your only 24.

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 15:02 Quote
I don't think I'll ever stop riding, not as long as I can breathe anyway.

I agree with the previous point that sometimes things change, but the best thing about riding is that it'll alway be there.

Whether you only get out on weekends, decide to ride to work instead of drive the odd time, or build your gf a bike so they can see why you're so into riding...you can always make it work into your life.

Not only that, but the health benefits from riding even just a little...how could you not?!?

Throughout my life, a lot has changed. I've moved a lot, had a bunch of different jobs, had a lot of other hobbies and interests but I always keep coming back to riding, and since riding has always been there for me I will always do what I can to help others get on their bikes. Even if it means building one for them!

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 15:20 Quote
em-j wrote:
marquis wrote:
You do realise that you have a responsibility to the rest of us to never give up? Otherwise the world will implode and pb will collapse in on itself. I have this on fairly good authority.

lol

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 15:22 Quote
snaple wrote:
Dude, your only 24.

And I've been consistently riding for the better part of 13 years in an area that isn't the least bit cycling friendly. In those 13 years I've seen the local scene go from group street rides of 30-40 people to occasionally crossing paths with a group of 3 or 4 people.

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 15:26 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
snaple wrote:
Dude, your only 24.

And I've been consistently riding for the better part of 13 years in an area that isn't the least bit cycling friendly. In those 13 years I've seen the local scene go from group street rides of 30-40 people to occasionally crossing paths with a group of 3 or 4 people.

I never looked at that aspect of it,i am fortunate that we have a couple of riding spots,but there are also some good riding spots with in a 10 mile radius.

I want to travel more for sure but family and other ties won't allow it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013428
Mobile Version of Website