Powered by Outside

Will a lake jump hurt my blk mrkt 357?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Will a lake jump hurt my blk mrkt 357?
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 at 14:18 Quote
lukaszkrolak wrote:
our buddy let us use his older DH bike for our lake jump last summer. If you can find a old DH bike to huck, I highly recommend it lol
That's sick! But suspension isn't really mandatory...

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 7:12 Quote
Attention very few bikes float in most cases the mass of the frame and components outweigh the mass of water displaced by the air in the tires thus THEY SINK!!
Attention the more air you put in the tire the density increases thus they become LESS BUOYANT!!Facepalm Madder Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse

run along and do your homework
JakeDavisPhotography wrote:
freeride-idiot wrote:
it will hurt your wallet if you dont tie somthing to it that floats lolBig Grin

bikes float anyway.. they have air in the tyres.. Facepalm just make sure the tyres have a decent amount of air in..

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 7:41 Quote
Most bikes i have seen lake jumping have had inner tubes shoved into the spokes and inflated to aid the bike float.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://habi.gna.ch/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/lakejump-aendu-composite.jpg

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 8:09 Quote
freeride-idiot wrote:
Attention very few bikes float in most cases the mass of the frame and components outweigh the mass of water displaced by the air in the tires thus THEY SINK!!
Attention the more air you put in the tire the density increases thus they become LESS BUOYANT!!Facepalm Madder Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse

Not true really at all. you do some homework.

But yeah use a beater bike for lake jumps with inner tubes through spokes.

FL
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 9:01 Quote
freeride-idiot wrote:

really man really, you ever lake jumped? we used my buddies old gt rukus, which probably is the heaviest dj in existance and that floated with no exta boyency, and also more air in your tyres it becomes more dense? that is true, but you also make the tube have more area so it has more bouyency

but anyway heres some pics from ours

photo

photo

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 11:29 Quote
^^^ Either you have no idea what your on about or them pics ain't yours,as I'm pretty damn sure all the pics you have posted have extra inner tubes in the spokes.

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 11:37 Quote
Yeah theres extra inner tubes in those pics. Wouldn't recommend it without them.

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 13:24 Quote
we took off the floaty off our dirt jump in our lake jump and just pumped up the tires to the max. it floated ok. Just remember to swim towards the bike after you land

FL
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 at 4:08 Quote
marquis wrote:
^^^ Either you have no idea what your on about or them pics ain't yours,as I'm pretty damn sure all the pics you have posted have extra inner tubes in the spokes.

ahhh i love the ignorance of pinkbike haha and your a mod o dearr,

erm if you must know it fell out about halfway through but the bike floated so we never put i back in

Posted: Feb 28, 2010 at 5:25 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
marquis wrote:

ahhh i love the ignorance of pinkbike haha and your a mod o dearr,

erm if you must know it fell out about halfway through but the bike floated so we never put i back in

lol I love it when people try and do me over and all because I'm a mod,in future posts then it would be nice for you to fully explain yourself as by my reckoning i was correct at the time.

FL
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 at 13:23 Quote
yeah but all you seem to come on here for is to prove people wrong,

Posted: Feb 28, 2010 at 13:26 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
yeah but all you seem to come on here for is to prove people wrong,

Now in this instance yes I'm gonna proof you wrong as that is not my intent at all,i try to be as truthful and as helpful as my knowledge will allow,i try and correct people where they have made a mistake so that people are not confused.

All i pointed out was that your pictures told a differing story to what you had said,i wasn't being clever i was just pointing out the facts.

Posted: Feb 28, 2010 at 16:05 Quote
more air more area?lol if you have a 2.5" for example weather it has 15psi or 60psi it is still 2.5. you may have noticed that when you pump up your tires they dont keep getting bigger and bigger like balloons!! this is because the fibres in the casing are there to stop expansion past the indicated size ie 2.5
Dead Horse also i notice that all of the photographs show added flotation atached to the bikes???
i have never stated that ALL bikes sink although most do
in my experiance every bike iv lake jumped would have sank without floats tup
bikerboywill wrote:
freeride-idiot wrote:

really man really, you ever lake jumped? we used my buddies old gt rukus, which probably is the heaviest dj in existance and that floated with no exta boyency, and also more air in your tyres it becomes more dense? that is true, but you also make the tube have more area so it has more bouyency

but anyway heres some pics from ours

photo

photo

Posted: Feb 28, 2010 at 16:08 Quote
if you belive wat i have said to be incorect i think you should try harder at school or perhaps get a degree in mechanical engineering like i have
cowieuk wrote:
freeride-idiot wrote:

Posted: Feb 28, 2010 at 16:19 Quote
freeride-idiot wrote:
if you belive wat i have said to be incorect i think you should try harder at school or perhaps get a degree in mechanical engineering like i have
cowieuk wrote:
freeride-idiot wrote:

Maybe you should lose the atitude. I've been building small scale ROV's all week at Uni. Bouyancy isn't quite as simple as that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016934
Mobile Version of Website