ZIP TIE Chain Guide how to

PB Forum :: Tutorials
ZIP TIE Chain Guide how to
Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 13:44 Quote
yeah could work good idea Big Grin

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 14:04 Quote
hardtaildh08 wrote:
just save up and buy a chain guide this looks shit aswell as being they sketchyest thing ever cos the roller will swing side to side causing harm to your derauler and possibly swing into your spokes
When you are on a budget, sometimes aesthetics take a backseat for performances.

While yes in the end an actual chain guide system would be best, this setup will work perfectly fine for the time from now till being able to afford a chain guide.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 15:22 Quote
hardtaildh08 wrote:
just save up and buy a chain guide this looks shit aswell as being they sketchyest thing ever cos the roller will swing side to side causing harm to your derauler and possibly swing into your spokes
ok hater i run saint drive train and it in no way affects the chain line you dont like it dont use it tons of poor shredders like me have saved hundreds of dollars with this 3 dollar idea so back off

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 18:03 Quote
Great thread. will this work for a single ring set up? I have a guide on my freeride bike but need something for my dirt jump bike. I only run a single ring up front..

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 at 6:36 Quote
S1L3NTR4GE wrote:
hardtaildh08 wrote:
ok hater i run saint drive train and it in no way affects the chain line you dont like it dont use it tons of poor shredders like me have saved hundreds of dollars with this 3 dollar idea so back off
chain guides dont cost hunders of dollars ( or pounds ) you can buy them cheap as hell they look better perform better and will last alot longer and for you spending all that on saint drivetrain you could of baught truvative strong cheap and will have left you money to but the chain guide

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 at 7:16 Quote
hardtaildh08 wrote:
S1L3NTR4GE wrote:
hardtaildh08 wrote:
chain guides dont cost hunders of dollars ( or pounds ) you can buy them cheap as hell they look better perform better and will last alot longer and for you spending all that on saint drivetrain you could of baught truvative strong cheap and will have left you money to but the chain guide

why to replace the truvativ in future.

why is everyone so like bitchy over a chain guide,a few years ago no one had one apart from the dcd,and when i look at where the zip ties are mounted they are near enough where the dcd was mounted.

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 at 7:19 Quote
marquis wrote:
hardtaildh08 wrote:
S1L3NTR4GE wrote:

why to replace the truvativ in future.

why is everyone so like bitchy over a chain guide,a few years ago no one had one apart from the dcd,and when i look at where the zip ties are mounted they are near enough where the dcd was mounted.
ok but in all honesty why do this when it could snap off half way down a trail and do that repeatedly but if you just save up youl probably get a chain guide for the same amount youv spent on cable ties and reels

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 at 7:23 Quote
^^^ what difference will it make if it doe's snap,absolutely none what so ever.

if you also look at a chain guide there a complete rip off,granted the tooling will cost a bit but there the most simple things on a bike,yet the most expensive in comparison for what they do.

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 at 7:25 Quote
yeah ide honestly never spend over 120 on one but if like me you race and one of your local tracks is dunkeld (realy rocky) a proper chainguide will benfit you alot

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 at 7:29 Quote
hardtaildh08 wrote:
yeah ide honestly never spend over 120 on one but if like me you race and one of your local tracks is dunkeld (realy rocky) a proper chainguide will benfit you alot

i'm considering making my own,just buy the parts tree for the plastics then just ask a firm to make you a flat plate.

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 at 7:31 Quote
marquis wrote:
hardtaildh08 wrote:

i'm considering making my own,just buy the parts tree for the plastics then just ask a firm to make you a flat plate.
might work but if i tried that it would just snap so il be sticking to a regular chain guide but i realy do think this isnt the best idea if you want a chain guide but think its too expensive then do this but if your like that for all your components then maybee biking isnt the sport for you (that goes to everyone)

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 at 7:35 Quote
hardtaildh08 wrote:
marquis wrote:
hardtaildh08 wrote:

might work but if i tried that it would just snap so il be sticking to a regular chain guide but i realy do think this isnt the best idea if you want a chain guide but think its too expensive then do this but if your like that for all your components then maybee biking isnt the sport for you (that goes to everyone)

ok think about it this way,e13 back plate in aluminum is 38 quid,i could get a custom made carbon fiber one for about 20 quid,now tell me there's something not wrong with mainstream mfrs pricing.

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 at 8:09 Quote
marquis wrote:
hardtaildh08 wrote:
marquis wrote:

ok think about it this way,e13 back plate in aluminum is 38 quid,i could get a custom made carbon fiber one for about 20 quid,now tell me there's something not wrong with mainstream mfrs pricing.
there pricing is way off but thats just for profits

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 at 12:59 Quote
hardtaildh08 wrote:
marquis wrote:
hardtaildh08 wrote:

there pricing is way off but thats just for profits

Pricing is set to cover the cost of actually making the guide, and to fund future projects (such as the SS+, our new Red Rocket colorways, multi-color ano'd chainrings, and various other projects in the works). The majority of most companies follow similar routes...prototyping/molding/CNC jigs/skilled machinists/top notch materials are all expensive, especially for companies in a small industry such as MTB.

If you're looking for more performance for your dollar, any of our steel guides are well worth their cost.

Marquis - What sort of carbon fiber are you referencing? For the vertical and horizontal forces that a guide could see, you would need a multi layer composite. This would require a good number of layers to hold up, and the cost for the backplate would go up along with each layer. Unless you have a friend with experience machining carbon...it might be quite the hassle to get somthing strong enough. Food for thought. We toyed with somthing along these lines in 2005ish...the backplate ended up being very expensive.

I'd suggest simply playing around with 7075 aluminum (preferably T6), as it would be a fraction of the cost.

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 at 13:13 Quote
actually i retract my statement,on further inspection of my lg i realised that the back plate is machined.

my deepest apologies.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011494
Mobile Version of Website