Powered by Outside

Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Apr 5, 2024 at 19:07 Quote
I'm all in on long reach and slack heat tube angles. But seat tube angles are getting too dang steep.
75-76 seems to be my sweet spot. Anything steeper I just feel to far forward whenever seated.

Posted: Apr 5, 2024 at 19:08 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I’m so hyped on the shorter travel slacked out but steep sta ht’s right now. Might be the funnest thing yet.

I've said it before so I'm kinda repeating myself here, but I'm skeptical about the super steep STAs and loooonnnngggg reaches on some new hardtails, they get even longer and steeper as they sag which I think would make them feel pretty awkward on anything that isn't really steep.

Its like some bike designers have copied fashionable full-sus enduro geo onto a hardtail but haven't thought about how it changes in sag when someone is actually riding it.

Mine has 75.5 static STA and I wouldn't want to go any steeper on a hardtail, that becomes about 77 deg at 25% sag.

455mm reach with a 35mm stem on it is pretty good for me at 1.77m (5'10") tall, but 450 would probably be better. At 25% sag that 455mm reach becomes 472mm.

Depends what terrain you are riding , my Rootdown isn't extreme but sta is steep enough that I cant sprint or stand and pedal out of the seat when post is in up position without the nose of the saddle tagging me enough to affect pedaling , although when that saddle is dropped and I'm bombing down multi thousand feet chunky steep sections of downhill the longish wheel base and slackish hta feel super stable and confidence inspiring.The steepers sta although is good for long seated dirt road climbs to get to trail heads.... My old Stanton however has a slack STA and is shortish on wheelbase and is great for flying around our open space rolling and spiky trails but things get a little more exciting on the big mountain gnar descending. Had so much fun on that old Switchback today !Smile

Posted: Apr 5, 2024 at 23:43 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
I'm all in on long reach and slack heat tube angles. But seat tube angles are getting too dang steep.
75-76 seems to be my sweet spot. Anything steeper I just feel to far forward whenever seated.

Yeah i totally agree. I guess 76+ Is for da real mountain-people where you have steep and long climbs and down and nothing in between so i Guess i makes sense for some. But it sure Is to much for my smooth Terrain.

Posted: Apr 6, 2024 at 7:27 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
If you mullet it might i suggest going with less travel to compensate for the angles.

I’m so hyped on the shorter travel slacked out but steep sta ht’s right now. Might be the funnest thing yet.

Yeah a shorter more progressive 29er fork should be a little less divey to stop the HA steepening up as much through compression.

Steep STA doesn't bother me too much as my Privateer is an 80° effective so used to the forward feeling.

I bought it as more a winter hack I could pedal around less steep/gnarly stuff or flat rides, but I just ride the same stuff I would on the enduro bike

Posted: Apr 6, 2024 at 12:34 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

I've said it before so I'm kinda repeating myself here, but I'm skeptical about the super steep STAs and loooonnnngggg reaches on some new hardtails, they get even longer and steeper as they sag which I think would make them feel pretty awkward on anything that isn't really steep.

Its like some bike designers have copied fashionable full-sus enduro geo onto a hardtail but haven't thought about how it changes in sag when someone is actually riding it.

My thoughts exactly.

Posted: Apr 6, 2024 at 21:03 Quote
I’m pulling back the length. I’m settling in at 480-490 reach. I’m digging 65-63 HTA’s and 77 STA’s for most the steep techy climbs here in the pnw.

When i get into more mellow undulating terrain 75-76 seems to feel more natural.

Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 4:35 Quote
I'm 6'1" (185cm) and I think 450mm reach is my perfect amount. 75°st, 65°ht, 27.5 wheels.

I absolutely love small bikes. I own a Brompton (16 inch wheels) for around town and I am IN LOVE with the way it rides LOL. Can't get enough of it. Taking those little wheels on gravel (I've done some ultra smooth singletrack with it which was hilarious) is maybe more fun than actual mountain biking on my mountain bike.

Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 5:50 Quote
JonDud wrote:
I'm 6'1" (185cm) and I think 450mm reach is my perfect amount. 75°st, 65°ht, 27.5 wheels.

I absolutely love small bikes. I own a Brompton (16 inch wheels) for around town and I am IN LOVE with the way it rides LOL. Can't get enough of it. Taking those little wheels on gravel (I've done some ultra smooth singletrack with it which was hilarious) is maybe more fun than actual mountain biking on my mountain bike.

any time I hear about a Brompton, this is all I can think about Razz

Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 6:05 Quote
adm750 wrote:

Hahahaha.... I've never seen that.

It is insane how small it folds down. Every single time I am folding or unfolding it in front of a store, people will stop and ask questions about it. When I say every time, I mean literally every single time - sometimes you even get a crowd of 3 or 4 people listening in for a Q&A about the bike. I wish I was exaggerating.

Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 6:21 Quote
JonDud wrote:
adm750 wrote:

Hahahaha.... I've never seen that.

It is insane how small it folds down. Every single time I am folding or unfolding it in front of a store, people will stop and ask questions about it. When I say every time, I mean literally every single time - sometimes you even get a crowd of 3 or 4 people listening in for a Q&A about the bike. I wish I was exaggerating.

lol....funny how that works out and becoming the unintentional brand ambassador. Wink

I'm sure there are days that you'd be like "shit...I really should get some recognition from this....!?!?!" lol

Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 6:28 Quote
adm750 wrote:
lol....funny how that works out and becoming the unintentional brand ambassador. Wink

I'm sure there are days that you'd be like "shit...I really should get some recognition from this....!?!?!" lol

The strangest encounter was when a woman asked me to pose with it so she could take some pictures.... I was like.... uh.... ok?

Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 7:48 Quote
JonDud wrote:
adm750 wrote:

The strangest encounter was when a woman asked me to pose with it so she could take some pictures.... I was like.... uh.... ok?

Eek lol

Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 7:57 Quote
Bromptons are an amazing piece of design.

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2024 at 19:46 Quote
from the other HT thread, but more here because damn that bike looks cool.

photo

photo

photo

“It feels like shit on flat trails but is great on rock rolls and steep trails,” Emma explained, “It has a stupid low bottom bracket, 450mm chainstays, and 61° head tube angle. It was an experiment to see how far I could push the geo while still using a modest 140mm fork.”

https://bikepacking.com/plog/inside-wzrd-bikes/

Posted: Apr 10, 2024 at 21:24 Quote
chacou wrote:
from the other HT thread, but more here because damn that bike looks cool.

photo

photo

photo

“It feels like shit on flat trails but is great on rock rolls and steep trails,” Emma explained, “It has a stupid low bottom bracket, 450mm chainstays, and 61° head tube angle. It was an experiment to see how far I could push the geo while still using a modest 140mm fork.”

https://bikepacking.com/plog/inside-wzrd-bikes/

I like that paint job. And 61HTA? Damn.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018352
Mobile Version of Website