Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
Pandalosi0 wrote:
rahrider wrote:

Which BRad did you get? I was looking at the three hoping it would fit two bottles for longer days but they said it would need the BRad-4 - which looks massive. Anyone know if you can run two bottles using the three bolts on my frame? I've got my tube and plug kit strapped to the frame, what is the advantage of strapping it to the BRAD system?

I have a BRad 4. In my Rootdown frame I can only fit 1 bottle. But if you got the side by side bottle mount attachment then 2 bottles will work. I can also fit a large BRad roll bag on the 4 with a bottle. Still have the OneUp pump mounted underneath too

Can you share a picture?

I wish I had taken one while it was all mounted. I moved the system over to my gravel bike. On the Rootdown, it worked but it looked pretty crowded and added noticeable weight to the bike so I wasn't too crazy about it

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2020 at 17:06 Quote
All good, I just picked up a salsa anything bracket with the little roll pack that goes with it. Also ordered up a 170mm Zeb ultimate for the Rootdown

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2020 at 18:43 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
S-nicholas wrote:
Having just begun a search for a bikepacking bike (my primer doesn’t love dirt roads the way I need it to) I’ve learned that lots of touring bikes have triple water bottle bosses to allow for “anything style” cages (especially the ones salsa makes). Makes it easy to carry more gear or a big Nalgene bottle.

Big fan of my Kona Unit. Frame / fork combo around 5-600? Super versatile. Running mine currently with a 140 fork. Love it.

The unit looks like a sweet touring setup! Just found myself a salsa Fargo that I’m pretty stoked about. The versatility of running 700c or up to 29+ really did it for me. And those Uber wide drop bars are oh so cool Smile

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2020 at 19:55 Quote
Dang Chef and Sterling going big boy forks on the Rootdown. Curious to hear what y'all think! Main reason I wouldn't is just to keep a gap between my full sus and Rootdown

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2020 at 20:08 Quote
Well the reality for me is I don’t have a full suspension anymore! Sold the process that I took the parts from and am using the money to fund the build out of the Rootdown. Also went ahead and ordered new wheels since the front one is currently non boost and the rear looks like it was hit with a rough grinder on the edge. It is time to upgrade. I can ride all the trails I frequent on a hardtail, and I find myself really just excited to ride now with the Rootdown; it’s fun, it actually weighs less than my fully built Rootdown and I am climbing better than before making rides feel better overall. Will I get a full suspension again, yeah but with fall/winter approaching, I’ll wait. Until then, beating down the hardtail is my go to and i couldn’t be more happy.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2020 at 23:08 Quote
Rootdown is all I has. Ride the same bike for everything and you get pretty good on it. All the money is there. High end build.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 5:20 Quote
Hey Chromag team! Just pulled the trigger on a Primer to build and I’m beyond pumped.

I’ve been off the bike for 7/8years due to a series of surgeries and a life change. Last bike I built and rode with consistency was a Turner 5spot (final year of Horst). From there it was dems/rentals/loaner for the 1-3x of year I rode and that was mostly in UT.

I started down the path to replace the Turner with another FS rig but complexity and “issues” I saw on social media from all brands became a turn off to me. I fell hard for the aggressive HT movement and the KISS method it presented, can settled on a FS rig later.

I’m in the Northeast and will be riding terrain in NY and VT mostly. As I look to build, can anyone comment on tossing a Fox 38 up front? I was going to start with a 36 bc it seemed to make sense but Chromag noted they are seen ppl build with 38s (Zebs included).

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions, can’t wait to take delivery.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 12:15 Quote
Mr Mutton is as he might say... “Savage” had fun playing rocks this week.

photo

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 12:49 Quote
jmars wrote:
Hey Chromag team! Just pulled the trigger on a Primer to build and I’m beyond pumped.

I’ve been off the bike for 7/8years due to a series of surgeries and a life change. Last bike I built and rode with consistency was a Turner 5spot (final year of Horst). From there it was dems/rentals/loaner for the 1-3x of year I rode and that was mostly in UT.

I started down the path to replace the Turner with another FS rig but complexity and “issues” I saw on social media from all brands became a turn off to me. I fell hard for the aggressive HT movement and the KISS method it presented, can settled on a FS rig later.

I’m in the Northeast and will be riding terrain in NY and VT mostly. As I look to build, can anyone comment on tossing a Fox 38 up front? I was going to start with a 36 bc it seemed to make sense but Chromag noted they are seen ppl build with 38s (Zebs included).

I just got a 36 equivalent (Z1) on my Rootdown last week and I took it through some of my area's (Colorado) rougher trails and bike park jump lines over the weekend. That fork managed just fine with all 215lbs of me aboard, and I never felt any unwanted flex.

That said, I got the Z1 because I prefer a coil fork and I got a good deal, otherwise I would have totally gone for a ZEB or a 38. These bikes are so capable, I would certainly put the most capable fork that you can on there (not to mention the Zeb's/38s look sick). I also wouldn't shy away from a 36, Z1, or Lyrik if that is what you have/can get a deal on, they will shred too!

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 15:38 Quote
jmars wrote:

I ride in the NE and have been on an older Rootdown with a 36 set at 160 for the last 3 years. It has been my only bike (other than a fat bike for winter) since I built it up. For NE riding I think the 36 is fine. I ride everything that I did on my full suspension rig, minus the park. And the fork has never been the limiting factor. I’ll be super interested to hear how people make out with a 38 or a Zeb.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
postridelacroix wrote:
jmars wrote:

I just got a 36 equivalent (Z1) on my Rootdown last week and I took it through some of my area's (Colorado) rougher trails and bike park jump lines over the weekend. That fork managed just fine with all 215lbs of me aboard, and I never felt any unwanted flex.

That said, I got the Z1 because I prefer a coil fork and I got a good deal, otherwise I would have totally gone for a ZEB or a 38. These bikes are so capable, I would certainly put the most capable fork that you can on there (not to mention the Zeb's/38s look sick). I also wouldn't shy away from a 36, Z1, or Lyrik if that is what you have/can get a deal on, they will shred too!

I put a 38 on my primer. Now everything else feels like riding with a wet noodle up front.

Just kidding, I went 38 just because I didn't like my dual position lyrik and also at 215lbs I thought I might as well go with the newest, biggest, fanciest.

I'm an intermediate rider so I'm not the best person to review it but I really like it. Noticeably more controlled than the 140mm 36 (performance elite, fit4) on my last fs bike. The dual position lyrik wasn't even close.

photo

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 16:49 Quote
Thanks for the feed back....guess I put the cart before the horse bc Chromag just called and told me I won’t see the frame till April/May (post paint).

I fully realize this is hand built but ooooof that’s a wait from ordering it 2 days ago. May have to take another direction.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 17:22 Quote
Oh wow! 9m is a long haul. Rootdowns were available now, realize it’s not the hand built/welded one you wanted but as an interim option.... I waited 3 months for my Rootdown to arrive, which ended up being worth the wait.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 18:04 Quote
^^^ Maybe the move.

More annoyed that person 1 at Chromag said build would be in come fall for the Primer. Then I call back a day later order and in another 24hrs it’s now 9months.....oh well, it’s just a bike (says my wife as I sulk!)

On ward and upward!

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 18:58 Quote
9 months is a long time. I wonder why?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015378
Mobile Version of Website