Powered by Outside

ZIP TIE Chain Guide how to

PB Forum :: Tutorials
ZIP TIE Chain Guide how to
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 at 18:25 Quote
ahahahahahahahahahahahah
wow
this is not a debate on whos is best its a cheap alternative for little shredders and broke ass bikers who are tired of alwasy losing a chain but cant afford a guide

and as far as Snapping it? mine still was not snapped and its over a year and a half old same roller same ties not problems i to have made custom chain guides with rolers and plastics and the like and they are just as good just not as cheap
please go hate somewhere else

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 at 18:27 Quote
bill33 wrote:
Great thread. will this work for a single ring set up? I have a guide on my freeride bike but need something for my dirt jump bike. I only run a single ring up front..
its meant to be used with a derailleur if you set it so that u r running it single with a derailleur it will work fine with out a derailleur its not so great

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 23:45 Quote
I already have a chainguide (ghetto backplate too!)

But I'm still seriously considering doing this because of the weight savings

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 0:20 Quote
some old inner tube, a bit of plumber's tape, and a few zip ties (of course).

photo

I had a plastic roller like the one shown below, but it was fastened by only one zip tie and it flew off at northstar. I bought the plastic bushing thingy at home depot, and it was wide enough to be cut it into two pieces the same size as the one shown below. I plan to use the other half of mine by bolting it through the hole in the metal band. I also might use a second strip of the metal stuff, for stiffness. It seems to flex around a bit.

photo

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 11:44 Quote
I had a buddy who used this on his sx trail and he swore by it.

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 at 22:48 Quote
i made a homeade chainguide with an old skateboard wheel. i used a dremel to sand out the wheel to make a ridge for the chain just like a roller on a real chainguide. and then just used zip ties to attach it

Posted: Mar 31, 2010 at 13:34 Quote
Hittinthatveryday wrote:
i made a homeade chainguide with an old skateboard wheel. i used a dremel to sand out the wheel to make a ridge for the chain just like a roller on a real chainguide. and then just used zip ties to attach it
pictures!

Posted: Apr 1, 2010 at 11:13 Quote
Nice idea, I tried to make one with the cog from an old derailleur but it wouldn't stay upright.

Posted: Apr 1, 2010 at 16:22 Quote
Has anyone made a homemade top part of the chainguide?

Posted: Apr 1, 2010 at 18:30 Quote
tacobell123 wrote:
Has anyone made a homemade top part of the chainguide?
you mean like a homeade mount?

Posted: Apr 1, 2010 at 19:15 Quote
No. The part that goes over the chain/chainring

Posted: Apr 1, 2010 at 19:16 Quote
tacobell123 wrote:
No. The part that goes over the chain/chainring
oh nah i never made that sorry man

Posted: Apr 4, 2010 at 10:11 Quote
yeah i made one out of aluminum and delron it worked great

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 11:16 Quote
Hi guys I am about to make my own zip tie guide using the plastic bobbin technique however I am not sure if I should put it on the top or bottom part of the chain and how far or how tight I should make it based on my frame and drivetrain restrictions.

Here is a pic of the area in question. Please help me determine where and how I should put it. Thanks guys!

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016567
Mobile Version of Website