Powered by Outside

The GT Fury Thread: Post your GT Fury

PB Forum :: GT
The GT Fury Thread: Post your GT Fury
Posted: Feb 9, 2024 at 7:13 Quote
ShawMac wrote:
Yes, if it is a Fitz it was a rental bike, but that is not to say it was bagged on. There was a big fleet in whistler. My friend got one for a steal and it was near perfect.

I am not aware that it only went up to large, but how it fits is what matters. Are you shopping remotely?

Shopping remotely but would pick up in person. Trying to understand what is going on before making a relatively long drive.

From the GT tech documents and media from when the bike was launched it looks like it only goes up to large:
https://gtbicycles.com/cdn/shop/files/134930_Rev1_GT_OMS_Fury.pdf?v=5171168634749697276
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-gt-fury-29.html

Selling rental bikes to Whistler is a big enough sale that GT did custom paint for them and somewhere in that process created an XL size for them. At this point I suspect that they did one of two things:
1. Made a new carbon mold to make an XL front triangle.
2. Set size large frames in the longer flip chip positions - and maybe add a longer stem to make the XL size for the rental fleet.

My casual understanding is that making new molds in pretty expensive so I am leaning towards thinking that this is actually a large with XL painted on the frame for purposes of creating a fouth size in the rental fleet.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2024 at 8:40 Quote
Yeah, could be that they just put a longer stem on it and called it an XL.

I have a Garbo from the previous generation.

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2024 at 15:09 Quote
Here's one for any of you previous gen GT Fury owners that may have done a bearing job... I have a 2018 and I ordered the frame bearing kit 2014-2018 from RWC and it came with two small 6802 bearings that seem to be surplus. I can not find any 6802 bearings on the bike. Perhaps a previous year had them but the 2018 does not.

Removing and installing some of the bearings is quite frustrating compared to my trail bike. There are not a lot of flat surfaces for the bearing press to rest against. I ended up having hammer some out and tap some in which isn't ideal.

Posted: Feb 28, 2024 at 22:59 Quote
Hi guys, I put a set of bombers on my fury for a Freeride build. I don’t know how to add pictures to this but if you type in on YouTube ‘thejoeycrew’ you’ll see the build we filmed.

Posted: Jun 2, 2024 at 1:13 Quote
Hi,
Is the Fury 2022 a bike you would consider somewhat climb-able, with adeguate gearing and seatpost height?
I'm thinking about upgrading from a 170 burly free ride bike to a proper downhill bike as i started racing a couple years ago but i still need a bike that can go up on paved, not so steep climbs when the chairlift closes.
My concerns are about seat angle and Seat height, am i gonna be way too back with a 76 cm seat height on a large frame?

Posted: Jun 4, 2024 at 15:35 Quote
Greetings,

to make a long story short i stopped riding DH for 6yrs, got the itch, built an enduro "do it all" bike and after one trip to the bike park i miss my DH bike from all those years ago. The enduro bike just leaves me wanting more honestly and beats me up too much. (santa cruz nomad)

Im leaning towards a 2020 GT Fury team edition full 29 Fox etc. I'm not racing (no plans to start) and prefer the jump trails more than the tech but do enjoy a tech trail from time to time. but am looking to grow my jumping skills primarily.

After growing up and riding park laps with a 2012 26in wheeled bike is the 26 and then a 6yr break, is high pivot and 29 going to be too steep of a learning curve and i not enjoy it? would i be better off sticking to 27.5.

if i do go the GT route i will be upgrading the frame this winter to the new 2024 frameset for the adjustability and lets be honest its just plain sexy.

Posted: Jun 6, 2024 at 8:42 Quote
LS-COLO95 wrote:
Greetings,

to make a long story short i stopped riding DH for 6yrs, got the itch, built an enduro "do it all" bike and after one trip to the bike park i miss my DH bike from all those years ago. The enduro bike just leaves me wanting more honestly and beats me up too much. (santa cruz nomad)

Im leaning towards a 2020 GT Fury team edition full 29 Fox etc. I'm not racing (no plans to start) and prefer the jump trails more than the tech but do enjoy a tech trail from time to time. but am looking to grow my jumping skills primarily.

After growing up and riding park laps with a 2012 26in wheeled bike is the 26 and then a 6yr break, is high pivot and 29 going to be too steep of a learning curve and i not enjoy it? would i be better off sticking to 27.5.

if i do go the GT route i will be upgrading the frame this winter to the new 2024 frameset for the adjustability and lets be honest its just plain sexy.

1. It rides just like a DH bike... the HP and 29 are just one/two small parts of it, they don't massively change anything

Seems pointless to buy one now and then change the frame in 6 months.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2024 at 8:50 Quote
BergamascoPlanante wrote:
Hi,
Is the Fury 2022 a bike you would consider somewhat climb-able, with adeguate gearing and seatpost height?

It depends on how much of a pedaling beast you are. I have a 2018 and it sucks climbing up anything. I don't imagine there has been improvements in climbing ability.
Changing to a trail drivetrain may help, and whatever length dropper you can put in there (or a seat collar quick release)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008947
Mobile Version of Website