Powered by Outside

Kona Process 111 Builds - Post 'em up!

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 111 Builds - Post 'em up!
Posted: Dec 18, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
oudiaou wrote:
How did you make the Mara fit the process? As far as I know there’s no 184 mm size available?
I‘m fiddling with a DB Air IL and a DPX2 right now and I’m not fully satisfied with either.
It's a modified 190x50 that I got direct from hayes as a warranty replacement for a mcleod that i ruined by own mounting mistake. It's a great shock and even better customer service. I was planning to put a matching manitou fork on the bike but the deal I got on this 36 was too good to pass. So now I have a set of dominion brakes on my radar.
The only other shock I've used on the 111 was the stock monarch and the mara is a big improvement.

Posted: Dec 18, 2021 at 21:17 Quote
I'm pretty sure you could add a travel reducer on the 190x45mm shock to make it compatible with our Process 111s.

I would email Manitou before ordering...just in case Big Grin

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 5:42 Quote
mistermanny wrote:
I'm pretty sure you could add a travel reducer on the 190x45mm shock to make it compatible with our Process 111s.

I would email Manitou before ordering...just in case Big Grin

That's what I did with my McLeod for my Salsa Bucksaw which takes a 184x44 shock & 6mm spacer

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/21811799/

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 21:21 Quote
Anyone compared a 111 to a modern "downcountry" bike. Looking for a shorter travel thing and ones come up. Thinking with an angleset and some suspension improvements there's not really much in it? Compared to say the 2020 trance 29 .
Just got rid of my 153. Cool bike.

O+
Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 0:26 Quote
DanBuchanan wrote:
Anyone compared a 111 to a modern "downcountry" bike. Looking for a shorter travel thing and ones come up. Thinking with an angleset and some suspension improvements there's not really much in it? Compared to say the 2020 trance 29 .
Just got rid of my 153. Cool bike.

I test-rode the 2020 Trance 29. In terms of geometry, it is very similar to a 111, apart from a slacker head tube angle. Possibly also because the suspension on my personal bike was dialled, and the Trance was set-up quick and dirty, I did not see any real benefit in the Trance. It is, however, also not a true modern bike. You will find a steeper seat tube angle, a slightly longer reach and possibly slightly longer chain stays on the modern bike, together with kinematics with higher anti squat than the process. I have ridden trailbikes with this geometry and I feel like the step up from a process 111 is noticeable, but not massive. At the end of the day, I prefer my 'modernized' 111: it now has a -2 degree headset and an offset bushing that makes everything steeper (together they yield a bb height like stock, head tube angle of ca. 66.5 degrees and a seat tube angle of close to 75 degrees). The 111 is still a little shorter than the modern long low slack bikes, making playful riding easier. I have an enduro bike for the steep and rough stuff.

Posted: Dec 28, 2021 at 18:59 Quote
My rocker link broke (the carbon part), and I decided to try my hand at carbon repair.

Since I was already in the garage, I polished the front triangle, and installed a Works 1.5* HS.

Fingers crossed
photo

photo

photo

Posted: Dec 28, 2021 at 21:48 Quote
Holy smokes that looks metal af
How difficult is it to do that polish job?
What year is that frame?
What travel you at?
How'd you mount that water bottle?

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 8:47 Quote
dookeh wrote:
What year is that frame?
What travel you at?

Thank you! It took several hours to strip the paint, and sand/polish. If I were to do it again, I’d pay a professional.

It’s a 2017 with the fork at 140.

I used riv-nuts to install the water bottle cage and some cable guides. Couldn’t be happier with the convenience.
photo

photo

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 9:44 Quote
BusterM wrote:
dookeh wrote:
What year is that frame?
What travel you at?

Thank you! It took several hours to strip the paint, and sand/polish. If I were to do it again, I’d pay a professional.

It’s a 2017 with the fork at 140.

I used riv-nuts to install the water bottle cage and some cable guides. Couldn’t be happier with the convenience.
photo

photo

Looks great! I used zip ties to install my water bottle cage but this definitely looks cleaner.
It looks like you used to have a monarch debonair installed, however, on the newer pics the shock looks like you went back to the standard can, right? Why did you go back?

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
I’m now using a DPS with an EVOL can and a slightly modified green volume reducer.

The Monarch with the Debonair can was great, but the damper seemed overwhelmed. I had an opportunity to buy some Fox parts, and put a DPS together (Fox doesn’t make a DPS with the exact i-i/stroke of the 111).

I’m very happy with the air spring, and the damper works great. I like knowing that if the shaft wears, it is readily available, as well as any other parts.

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 14:21 Quote
Holy heck, I'm blown away by that finish.

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 15:45 Quote
Same. I showed some friends and now they expect me to do it to mine haha

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 11:29 Quote
That polished frame is absolutely gorgeous.

Here is the latest update on mine: new rims, tires, drivetrain, and brakes this off season. Is it spring yet?

Seriously though, excited to join the 12 speed Eagle world, and looking forward to reliable 4 piston stopping power. This bike still shreds tup Big Grin Drool

photo

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 11:17 Quote
Love that this thread is alive again!
And awesome seeing your bikes.

I'm still running the original Ardents.
I have read that some people put the 2.4 front tire in the back.
And put something gripier and beefier in the front.
DHF or DHRII seems popular.

The two lastest build pics shows Butcher/Butcher and Eliminator/Butcher.

Butcher boys!
Which sizes, are they draggy?

Which tires does the rest of the P111 in here run?

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 12:14 Quote
nthrx wrote:
Love that this thread is alive again!
And awesome seeing your bikes.

I'm still running the original Ardents.
I have read that some people put the 2.4 front tire in the back.
And put something gripier and beefier in the front.
DHF or DHRII seems popular.

The two lastest build pics shows Butcher/Butcher and Eliminator/Butcher.

Butcher boys!
Which sizes, are they draggy?

Which tires does the rest of the P111 in here run?

I haven't even had a chance to ride the Butchers yet, it's fat bike season here on the east coast of Canada, and I'm hoping to actually get a set of Schwalbe Ice Spikers for the 111.

Honestly went with the Butchers because of value. Heard great things about them from a few different people and they're quite a bit cheaper than Maxxis here locally. I had ardents on when I first got the bike but they did not meet my needs (they suited my xc bike great but this bike demands to be pushed harder). I figured out quickly that I prefer grip over lighter weight, so I switched out the ardents for a minion dhf up front and an aggressor in the rear (both 2.3) and loved that combo for everything I did except the wettest days I was out, the aggressor does not perform well in the muck.

Went with 2.6 Butcher up front and a 2.3 on the rear, because as we all know there isn't much room out back (which is fine by me because the narrower tire actually has a slightly tighter tread pattern which will likely roll a touch quicker). Debated long and hard about going with an Eliminator in the rear but decided to go full send with the dual Butchers. Tried a 2.6 for fun out back and on my 30mm rims the side knobs rubbed the chainstay on the drivetrain side, so 2.3 is the right size. I will say the t9 rubber compound is super sticky feeling when messing around the driveway.

My original plan was to try either the Assegai/dissector combo or go with the boring but trusted dhf/dhr2 combo.

Side note: I actually put 2.6 Butchers in the black diamond casing on my wife's Trek powerfly e bike before I got them for my bike and thats what started to change my mind on them. Full downhill casing aggressive tires are definitely overkill for her style of riding, but when you have a motor why not right?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015636
Mobile Version of Website