Powered by Outside

Officially unofficial rabbit hill discussion thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Officially unofficial rabbit hill discussion thread
Posted: Feb 9, 2011 at 16:57 Quote
zshipowick wrote:
+1 for braeden. thats why up until this year mountain biking of any kind was technically not allowed in banff/jasper.

ya its been allowed forever lol. mostly xc though. I think brandon indic told me their legalizing a couple dh trails in jasper this year though. drive up the road to marmot and drop in near the bottom of marmot i think. no features though.

Posted: Feb 9, 2011 at 20:00 Quote
srh2 wrote:
zshipowick wrote:
+1 for braeden. thats why up until this year mountain biking of any kind was technically not allowed in banff/jasper.

I don't know where you are getting your facts from. I lived in Banff from 1996 to 2000 and rode the trails pretty much every day. The town/wardens started cracking down on shuttling and illegal trail building (mostly on Norquay) in the late 90's but biking was never banned in Banff.

thats what i meant, it was never banned but it wasn't sanctioned so there were no mountain bike specific trails and any existing trails were multi use. now that they've sanctioned mountain biking they are building bike specific trails and making maps of existing trails and just pushing mountain biking in general.

Posted: Feb 10, 2011 at 5:52 Quote
zshipowick wrote:

I can't remember where it was, but isn't the valley of 5 one of the most popular mtb trails?

Posted: Feb 10, 2011 at 15:36 Quote
sorry to hear about the hill closing. and just wondering if they are still going to do a alberta cup?

Posted: Feb 10, 2011 at 16:09 Quote
brett878 wrote:
sorry to hear about the hill closing. and just wondering if they are still going to do a alberta cup?

Ab cup is grand prairie, hinton, red deer, and golden.

Posted: Feb 26, 2011 at 21:55 Quote
so why can't we build our own community operated bike park? like a dirt jump and 4x track somewhere in the river valley...

Posted: Feb 27, 2011 at 17:18 Quote
^^ Cause f*ckin park rangers and the city will tear it down within a day...

Posted: Feb 27, 2011 at 19:12 Quote
no but get a permit to make it, so its legal. because the city doesnt actually own the land, the people do right,

Posted: Feb 27, 2011 at 20:15 Quote
streetperformer wrote:
no but get a permit to make it, so its legal. because the city doesnt actually own the land, the people do right,

We just pay taxes so they can dump more money into stuff we don't need and don't want. The city does own the land.

Posted: Feb 27, 2011 at 20:41 Quote
if you think about it, shouldnt we just ask the people who live around and use the river valley (conduct a survey) to see what people would think of a mountain bike park in the river valley some where. the city cannot own the land, it is city owned and so... we are the people of the city, if the consensus is that people who live and use the river valley actually believe that a mtb park would be a good thing, why couldnt we build one?

Posted: Feb 27, 2011 at 20:47 Quote
streetperformer wrote:
if you think about it, shouldnt we just ask the people who live around and use the river valley (conduct a survey) to see what people would think of a mountain bike park in the river valley some where. the city cannot own the land, it is city owned and so... we are the people of the city, if the consensus is that people who live and use the river valley actually believe that a mtb park would be a good thing, why couldnt we build one?

Because the city won't make anything from it. they're just a bunch of greedy f*ck's.

If they wanted a mtb park in the valley, they wouldn't be tearing stuff down.

Posted: Feb 27, 2011 at 20:54 Quote
it just comes down to liability

Posted: Feb 27, 2011 at 21:31 Quote
but what does the city have to do with it? we need a permit to use the land legally, and then why couldnt we get a liability lease similar to a skate park?
when i say what does the city have to do with it i mean that we could build and fund it entirely through the community of mountain bikers. maybe a sponsor or something if we really wanted to,

Posted: Feb 28, 2011 at 11:33 Quote
the river valley is not just for people who ride bikes its for everyone. Most people that do use it are dog walkers and joggers. And the biking that does happen is XC. The city wont allow us to make a "mountain" bike park in the valley because it will ruin the nature of it. We are lucky enough they allow us to ride our bikes in it in the first place

Posted: Feb 28, 2011 at 16:04 Quote
whos gonna pay for it? sponsors are only gonna pay money if they think theyll make more money off it. dont get me wrong though i want a park, im just playing devils advocate

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.136443
Mobile Version of Website