Powered by Outside

Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: May 22, 2018 at 4:54 Quote
Hello, I'm just looking for some advice. I've been riding and racing for about 6 years now. I've found I plateaued with my results a few years ago, aside from a couple of strong results here and there. I've got quite a high skill level and fitness level but that doesnt seem to tally up with my results. I'm pretty sure it has to do with my vision. When i race or try going fast I let my head drop and draw my vision in much closer. Hence it feels fast but its not really and I don't actually feel I've applied all of my skills as I'm not getting set up for obstacles in time. It actually feels incredibly frustrating as I never feel like I'm flowing through a section.

I think half of the problem is that I became obsessed with having perfect technique in cornering and rock gardens, etc instead of just going as fast as I could and seeing what happened. So, I have good technique but I struggle to make the most of it. I've been doing it so long that I'm really struggling to break the habit. Anyone have any tips?

Posted: May 22, 2018 at 5:39 Quote
A familiar track, mediocre speed and 100% focus on looking ahead is the answer. Go do it until you can't do it anymore and then some more. As the old saying goes, practice makes perfect and in this case this is perfectly true. You need to make it a basic riding habit of yours through practice.
Once that is done, apply it to other tracks.

Posted: May 22, 2018 at 5:40 Quote
Attach a bungee cord from your visor, over the top, and to the back of your shorts.. Would definitely bring your head up!

In all seriousness just try to mentally break the habit by consciously thinking about it, same as posture correction. perhaps doing exercises that strengthen the back of the neck would help too?

Posted: May 22, 2018 at 6:36 Quote
Bromaphobe wrote:
Attach a bungee cord from your visor, over the top, and to the back of your shorts.. Would definitely bring your head up!

In all seriousness just try to mentally break the habit by consciously thinking about it, same as posture correction. perhaps doing exercises that strengthen the back of the neck would help too?

Neck training is a very very good addition for DH biking. If you crash your muscles can absorb some of the impact- same as with boxing.

Get yourself a neck harness- it looks stupid but you will look a lot bigger because of a muscular neck and it has good use.

Takes 10mins of your day to work these muscles.

Posted: May 22, 2018 at 8:41 Quote
Madmanspencer wrote:
This has come up a lot on various platforms recently, what is people's obsession with putting dh forks on non dh bikes?, just buy a dh bike ffs! Smile
I would like to have one in 170mm to replace a Lyric , not for the travel ,because the are stiffer , seem like they are more precise tracking etc. That said a Lyric does a fine job , but I can feel some flex compared to a Boxxer

Posted: May 22, 2018 at 23:07 Quote
I have a problem with my Vivid air. It needs a lot breakaway force to start the compression. With 200Psi I reached nearly 0% SAG but i used my travel normally. Its just the extremly high force for the first mm. I serviced the Air can and nothing changed. After that I opened it again and added 11 Volumen Spacers to ramp up the compression, changed the 3wt oil with 7,5 wt oil and reduce the air pressure. The Shock feels now better but the problem still exists. I just worked a little bit around the problem.
I think it might be the negativ air chamber. Any other ideas or plans how I can fix it?

The red circle in the picture is not relevant

RockShox
  RockShox

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 2:45 Quote
mastervier wrote:
I have a problem with my Vivid air. It needs a lot breakaway force to start the compression. With 200Psi I reached nearly 0% SAG but i used my travel normally. Its just the extremly high force for the first mm. I serviced the Air can and nothing changed. After that I opened it again and added 11 Volumen Spacers to ramp up the compression, changed the 3wt oil with 7,5 wt oil and reduce the air pressure. The Shock feels now better but the problem still exists. I just worked a little bit around the problem.
I think it might be the negativ air chamber. Any other ideas or plans how I can fix it?

The red circle in the picture is not relevant

RockShox
  RockShox

First thing that comes in mind is a somehow obstructed negative chamber balancing port/dent. If this was the case it would feel like you have no negative chamber. Could it be a stuck lockout (but I don't think the vivid has one)?
Check the port/dent is not packed with grease or obstructed. Also check the length of the shock as it might be compressed a bit. Is it a new shock or the problem appeared recently?

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 3:31 Quote
I bought this shock used. The owner sayed that the shock feels strange after a service.

You mean these ports (red circle) ? Im not sure if these are the ports to the negativ chamber. I thought the negativ chamber is more towards the damping site, behind the seal head. But where is the balancing port located if so?

photo

the ports in the red circle seemed fine. But I wasnt able to get the seal (number 1) out of the Air can. Thought it shouldnt be a big deal and let it in the air can. I pressed the shell during reassemble in the seal. But that shouldnt cause these problems. (?)

Can you explain me where the negativ air chamber and the port is. Its hard to search the error when I didnt fully understand the shock Wink

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 6:39 Quote
I'm racing an air downhill race at trestle this season. Should I run a little higher pressure in fork and shock for a little extra pop or would my regular setup be better?

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 8:39 Quote
mastervier wrote:
I bought this shock used. The owner sayed that the shock feels strange after a service.

You mean these ports (red circle) ? Im not sure if these are the ports to the negativ chamber. I thought the negativ chamber is more towards the damping site, behind the seal head. But where is the balancing port located if so?

the ports in the red circle seemed fine. But I wasnt able to get the seal (number 1) out of the Air can. Thought it shouldnt be a big deal and let it in the air can. I pressed the shell during reassemble in the seal. But that shouldnt cause these problems. (?)

Can you explain me where the negativ air chamber and the port is. Its hard to search the error when I didnt fully understand the shock Wink

Yes the port is located near the seal as you can see from this picture. However i'm not sure if it can be seen withoout disassembling the shock.
photo

I forgot before, but try to deflate the shock until it has little pressure in it and compress it, if it's soft the problem should be in the air spring, if it stays hard it could be the damper. i'm sorry but i have no experience with the vivid so i can't help you further.

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 9:04 Quote
All this Keto and paleo stuff has some merit , every now and then go a day without eating , cut out the sugar , increase your meat and salad , eat whole food til your bored of it . May not work for everyone but has gotten results for me far as losing some weight without my legs shrinking ,I am actually astonished that I have lost some weight without it being visible in my thighs . The giving up alcohol part I have not tried

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 9:59 Quote
hmmm, wrong thread

O+
Posted: May 23, 2018 at 12:04 Quote
So after thrashing procore on my back wheel of the 27.5 enduro bike and no longer burping air, ordered it for my 26" DH bike, works amazingly well if you have issues burping tires in corners running anything under 30 psi.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2018 at 13:30 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
I'm racing an air downhill race at trestle this season. Should I run a little higher pressure in fork and shock for a little extra pop or would my regular setup be better?

I would test it over a couple runs using a stop watch or strava and see what the results are but for that race you are really not trying to get more "pop" unless you are having difficulty clearing the jumps normally. Scrubbing or staying fast and low while barely clearing the jumps will probably be the fastest. Higher air pressure in tires might even make more of a difference. Do you know when they are doing the race? I would really like to do it this year.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027520
Mobile Version of Website