dual crowns on a hardtail; opinions?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
dual crowns on a hardtail; opinions?
O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 7:01 Quote
[Quote="spliffonator"][Quote="bigfoot66"]
spliffonator wrote:

Surely if people built downhill bikes, like the pro's, strictly for downhill, they would use single-speed, it would save weight. No they use gears

they use gears coz with single speed the chainstay is gonna get smaller as it compresses so the chain will just fall off running single speed

Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 7:46 Quote
luckxc wrote:
d00bz wrote:
photo

photo

07 rm flow raw with stratos s7
rides nice Cool

how's the stratos?? I've never been on one.

its actualy not bad...stock it seems a little on the soft
side but its not to shabs..

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 8:28 Quote
[Quote="iainc92"][Quote="spliffonator"]
bigfoot66 wrote:

they use gears coz with single speed the chainstay is gonna get smaller as it compresses so the chain will just fall off running single speed

They use gears because you're much faster with gears.

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 8:40 Quote
[Quote="Hombre3000"][Quote="iainc92"]
spliffonator wrote:

They use gears because you're much faster with gears.

So your saying they can use single speed then but chose not to ?? I'm saying that almost every full sus dh bike cant use single speed because the chain stay gets shorter when the rear sus compresses and as a dh bike is set up with a lot of sag.

Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 9:00 Quote
iainc92 wrote:
So your saying they can use single speed then but chose not to ?? I'm saying that almost every full sus dh bike cant use single speed because the chain stay gets shorter when the rear sus compresses and as a dh bike is set up with a lot of sag.

Don't you mean they get longer? Which would cause the suspension not to compress and/or break the chain.

If the chainstays got shorter, you would have really damn long chainstays so the wheel doesn't hit parts of the frame..

Mod
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 9:06 Quote
it's fastwer with gears. Dh racers don't just use one gear when they race, they use 3 maybe even 5 different gears depending on the course. Now that xc and uphills are being added into many dh races ss just will not cut it.

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 9:10 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:
iainc92 wrote:

Don't you mean they get longer? Which would cause the suspension not to compress and/or break the chain.

If the chainstays got shorter, you would have really damn long chainstays so the wheel doesn't hit parts of the frame..

no they get shorter as the rear sus compresses, im talking about alot of full sus bikes

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 10:24 Quote
iainc92 wrote:
Borgschulze wrote:
iainc92 wrote:

no they get shorter as the rear sus compresses, im talking about alot of full sus bikes

The chainstays get longer, the chain gets "shorter."

Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 10:26 Quote
iainc92 wrote:
Borgschulze wrote:
iainc92 wrote:

Then why is it called chain growth, not chain shrinkage?

Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 11:02 Quote
I was shocked... thought I wouldn't reply in an angry matter.

Thanks people for clarifying chain growth.

Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 13:00 Quote
[Quote="iainc92"][Quote="Hombre3000"]
iainc92 wrote:

WTF are you guy's talking about?? it's a hardtail remember?? you could easily run a SS on it. as there is not Chain growth and no compression in the rear,

Disregard if you're on about something else.

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 13:10 Quote
dmadness wrote:
WTF are you guy's talking about?? it's a hardtail remember?? you could easily run a SS on it. as there is not Chain growth and no compression in the rear,

Disregard if you're on about something else.

Notice up in the quote tree that we're talking about downhill bikes.

No worries.

Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 13:20 Quote
I'd like to note, after riding Single Speed for a few months, then switching to gears.

It's not worth the weight savings, especially if you can afford a chain guide.

Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 13:23 Quote
i would strongly advise against it
most hardtails cannot take the strain of dual crowns

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 3:16 Quote
NeonBiker wrote:
i would strongly advise against it
most hardtails cannot take the strain of dual crowns

zyour an idiot....Most of the bikes posted herre are able to easily handle DC forks....Not all Hardtails are 10mm or less.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012452
Mobile Version of Website