Kona Process 111 Builds - Post 'em up!

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 111 Builds - Post 'em up!
Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 14:11 Quote
Coming from
2.3 Minion DHF EXO, 2.3 Aggressor DD, to
2.3 Butcher Grid Gravity T9, 2.3 Eliminator Grid Gravity T7/T9.

Initial impressions:
-Specialized 2.3 is larger than Maxxis 2.3 (pretty tight fit in chainstays w/ 30mm internal rim).
-Grid Gravity casing is sturdier than DD casing.
-Eliminator has very good grip, and the casing feels rad, but it might roll slower than Aggressor.
-I like both pairs

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 14:36 Quote
Should also add that I was running exo casing on the Maxxis combo, and have put on Specialized's grid trail t9 casing (2.6 front 2.3 back on 30mm rims)

Will also add that the dhf/aggressor combo was overall fantastic and would have no issues running that combo again

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 18:10 Quote
Still running a 2,3 Hans Dampf in the back w/insert, and a 2.5 DHF on the front.
Would love to try a 2.4 Michelin dh 34 park in the rear, but not sure it would fit.

photo

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 12:34 Quote
Thanks for the answers.

I need to change the Ardent up front.
Where I live in sweden, is known for "the city where it always rains".

And the Ardents love mud so much.
That they never let go Big Grin

Think I will be deal hunting.
Seems to be a couple of good options.
For example are Magic Marys always popular on this side of the pond.

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 6:36 Quote
Alright guys, here me out. Mullet the 111?? I found a guy selling a 27.5 rear wheel (from a 134 actually) for a low enough price that I think the experiment could be worthwhile.

Did the math on the geometry and the bottom bracket height shouldn't be too low but either way I think this will be exclusively for the days I ride techy shuttle laps on the 111. (Yes, I know that sounds crazy but this bike is a swiss army knife and rips everything short of full BP jump lines.)

Would love hear what you all think or some notes if anyone has done it before

O+
Posted: May 5, 2022 at 7:05 Quote
I think with the lower rear end you're gonna have a very slack seat tube angle by today's standards. Not a big deal if you're shuttling, but sounds awful for climbing seated. That said, while you can have fun on that bike on bigger trails, I'd be worried about breaking the frame if you're doing shuttle runs. I mean, it's pretty burly, but not meant for big hits or anything. I did ride mine at a bike park, but I'm not going off huge drops or anything.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2022 at 20:15 Quote
dpreed wrote:
Alright guys, here me out. Mullet the 111?? I found a guy selling a 27.5 rear wheel (from a 134 actually) for a low enough price that I think the experiment could be worthwhile.

Did the math on the geometry and the bottom bracket height shouldn't be too low but either way I think this will be exclusively for the days I ride techy shuttle laps on the 111. (Yes, I know that sounds crazy but this bike is a swiss army knife and rips everything short of full BP jump lines.)

Would love hear what you all think or some notes if anyone has done it before

I did for a few rides and then switched back. It felt really nice but I was striking way more rocks with my pedals and bash guard (yes all my bikes have em, incldg my fatty)

Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 15:00 Quote
a href="https://ibb.co/vXNRCKp">img src="https://i.ibb.co/vXNRCKp/20220717-084746.jpg" alt="20220717-084746" border="0">/a>

My 111a XL going to be upgrading to a 160mm fox 36 float 29 performance, wheels are stans flow ex on hope hubs, hope E4 brakes, one up components bar, hope 35mm stem, 200mm dropper also going on.

O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 15:04 Quote
MadPaddy wrote:
a href="https://ibb.co/vXNRCKp">img src="https://i.ibb.co/vXNRCKp/20220717-084746.jpg" alt="20220717-084746" border="0">/a>

My 111a XL going to be upgrading to a 160mm fox 36 float 29 performance, wheels are stans flow ex on hope hubs, hope E4 brakes, one up components bar, hope 35mm stem, 200mm dropper also going on.

pushin it to the max!

might I suggest an Ibis Ripley AF? haha

Posted: Sep 3, 2022 at 18:16 Quote
When are we Process 111 peeps going to buy an ‘18+ Transition Smuggler and rally the hell out of it instead?

Kona if you’re listening, we’d commit crimes for an updated 111. IE head angle, a shock with at least 50mm stroke, UDH, and a threaded BB of course.

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 6:15 Quote
BusterM wrote:
When are we Process 111 peeps going to buy an ‘18+ Transition Smuggler and rally the hell out of it instead?

Kona if you’re listening, we’d commit crimes for an updated 111. IE head angle, a shock with at least 50mm stroke, UDH, and a threaded BB of course.

This bike was legendary, but not sure it ever sold super well for them. Also, you can get bikes with more travel that pedal super well and have all the new geo, so going back to mini travel is probably not gonna be a big drive for people. This bike was a gorified AM hardtail, which is why I loved it, but still a bit limiting in the gnarl. I actually think the ripley is a good options for old 111 owners, but still think Kona should do a Process 222.

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 12:57 Quote
The 111 was definitely a unicorn of a bike that was instrumental in the development of modern trail bikes. I've owned one, I get it, the bike was incredible for it's age and the amount of travel it had, but like was just previously mentioned, it did get overwhelmed in the gnar. Modern trail bikes are so incredible that there are a ton of short travel 29er trail bikes out there that embody what Kona created with the 111 all those years ago, but have brought the geo forward even more. The Canyon Spectral 125, Norco Optic, Ibis Ripley, Specialized Stumpy ST, Yeti SB115, Kona Process 134 29er, Santa Cruz tallboy, Revel Ranger, Evil Following, Trek Fuel EX and the Marin Rift Zone, to name a few examples, are all modern bikes that take that same philosophy of fun and fast bikes that give you plenty of trail feedback.

I myself have gone to a true trail bike with more travel, and feel that I haven't lost any pedaling efficiency nor any playfulness that the 111 provided, but now have a machine that can take on the gnarlier tech as well.

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 14:45 Quote
I'm very much enjoying this bike.
140 Pike with a -2 angle set.
photo

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 9:30 Quote
cazman727 wrote:
photo

like it tanned out. What size are those specialized?

Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 15:34 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
cazman727 wrote:
photo

like it tanned out. What size are those specialized?

Just 2.3s. Running them on Silt XC rims which only have 25mm internal width.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017103
Mobile Version of Website