Powered by Outside

Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 18:54 Quote
Anyone runing a db inline rear shock on a 2014 trance if so what settings did you find most happy with and did you find you needed the volume rreduces to limit bottom out

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 20:44 Quote
Robino113 wrote:
Hey guys. I was wondering how everyone thought their trance performed in terms of jumps and getting it off the ground. Because compared to my older bike its much easier to throw about but I was wondering what you guys thought?

Thanks

Yes! The bike is really awesome when it comes to jumps. Flicking it for whips is sooo fun because it's so easy to control!
The Trance is just so much fun on anything. I love it. Big Grin

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 1:53 Quote
Ussr wrote:
alecdy wrote:
Hi Ussr, the Giant shock comes with a stroke travel reducer to limit the 2.25 stroke length to only 2.0. I thought about doing the same thing with the new shock if there was any risk of frame contact but after doing the checks, the risk is low and I'd rather utilize the full stroke and get 160mm of rear travel (or 157~158 to be more precise).

The new shock may not be "Giant tuned" but it performed much better over the weekend than the stock one.

Can't wait to ride again too! Long holiday coming up :-D

alecdy wrote:

Hey man, just back read this one. I have a KS Lev External routing and did this:
- From the lever on left side...
- enter the internal routing hole on the right side of the frame
- Come out the bottom where the shift cables & Rear Brake cable come out
- Route it up towards the seatpost where the FD shift cable routes

I call it "semi-internal" or "semi-stealth":

Hi Alecdy, so is there anyway to remove the reducer to achieve the 2.25 stroke without having to get another? Mine comes with the monarch plus. Another bud had his fixed 3x on his (withholding brand). Less than 6mths his compression is gone, the knobs no longer work for him. I'm worried this happens on all monarch plus. (meaning probably an excuse to consider another shock?)

PS. that's the same routing I am doing. But as mine is pre-LEV, the cable is at the rails... there's bound to be excess cable movement which catches on the rear.
Temporary solution captured below. This however causes the cable to loop out like a stray.... until my intergra arrives?

Hi USSR, sorry late reply on this. I did open up the old shock (Fox Float CTD Evo) and did not see a stroke reducer that could be removed. Not sure about the Monarch Plus, though. No experience with Monarchs but usually those are isolated cases of a bad shock you'll need to send back or have serviced with new seals.

I saw your routing after I posted that message, apparently great minds think alike. :-) I also utilized the FD cable end stop at the back of the lower part of the seat tube to minimize cable movement & rub on the swing arm and seat tube.

Last night I had nothing to do and decided to re-route my rear derailleur shift cable internal (instead of under the chainstay via the chainstay protector (removed that too). I also blackened up the bike a bit more with some 3M outdoor tread tape that doubles as a new chainstay protector (truth is I really wanted the 2014 trance 2 in all black, but OD2 was a no-go). I'll post some photos later. :-)

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 2:07 Quote
Here's a question I've had on my mind for a time. I know that the answer is going to be different for every rider because of height, reach, and all, and that I should just try it out myself. But I still want to hear your personal experiences on it.

Anyone swapped out from the stock 60mm stem to a shorter one? What's your experience swapping out for a 50mm? Or even 35mm?

Reason being is that my steering in tight technical singletrack is whack right now, probably because of the 160mm fork. The 730mm HB is plenty for me with my arm reach, so I am thinking if a shorter stem will help.

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 2:16 Quote
alecdy wrote:
Here's a question I've had on my mind for a time. I know that the answer is going to be different for every rider because of height, reach, and all, and that I should just try it out myself. But I still want to hear your personal experiences on it.

Anyone swapped out from the stock 60mm stem to a shorter one? What's your experience swapping out for a 50mm? Or even 35mm?

Reason being is that my steering in tight technical singletrack is whack right now, probably because of the 160mm fork. The 730mm HB is plenty for me with my arm reach, so I am thinking if a shorter stem will help.

I bought the 2015 giant trance 27.5 2 which came with a 75mm stem with a 8 degree rise and a 730mm wide handlebar. I switched the stem for a 60mm 0 degree hussefelt stem and a 770mm wide Funn Fullon handlebar. Absolutely love the combination.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 4:13 Quote
mikingle wrote:
Anyone runing a db inline rear shock on a 2014 trance if so what settings did you find most happy with and did you find you needed the volume rreduces to limit bottom out

From my experience you definitely need one full volume spacer, some people stick even more in there. The base tune that Cane Creek recommends for the Trance is pretty good, I found my sweet spot with 1 turn less HSC and 1 click less LSC. I should mention that I run a 57mm stroke shock.

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 6:16 Quote
alecdy wrote:
Hi USSR, sorry late reply on this. I did open up the old shock (Fox Float CTD Evo) and did not see a stroke reducer that could be removed. Not sure about the Monarch Plus, though. No experience with Monarchs but usually those are isolated cases of a bad shock you'll need to send back or have serviced with new seals.

I saw your routing after I posted that message, apparently great minds think alike. :-) I also utilized the FD cable end stop at the back of the lower part of the seat tube to minimize cable movement & rub on the swing arm and seat tube.

Last night I had nothing to do and decided to re-route my rear derailleur shift cable internal (instead of under the chainstay via the chainstay protector (removed that too). I also blackened up the bike a bit more with some 3M outdoor tread tape that doubles as a new chainstay protector (truth is I really wanted the 2014 trance 2 in all black, but OD2 was a no-go). I'll post some photos later. :-)

Hi Alecdy, no worries,thanks for the notes! I got weary of the cable routing and was opting for KS intergra or Reverb, the bike mech recommended reverb due to the internal route going from BB up was a tad too sharp an angle to run on a cable... it will cause a kink and ruin the experience.... eventually went on the reverb route Razz

I wanted to run internal for the rear to, but I find that the frame finishing on the inside scraping skins off the cable which puts me off...

Show me the pics of the blacken project... i've also been staring and finding that I would like to remove the blue highlights!!!

alecdy wrote:

Im standing 175cm,had mine built with 50mm stem and 760mm bars... I would have opted for 800mm bars but its really not suitable for the narrow trail.. 2-4 clipping a tree and a flip or 2 later....out came the saw Cry

Im still finding a sweet spot with the very little ride time. KS had a setback, reverb is stright. Setting up my seat as far back as it will take now to keep the same space i have. a closer reach would give you more control especially where your trails are narrow...

hope that helps...

Question back out: Any difference in geometry between 2014 and 15?

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 6:49 Quote
alecdy wrote:

I'm definitely swapping out the 60mm stem and going for something like 40 or 50. The 60mm stem does feel weird on the technical stuff. It's also probably because of my reach.

I've kept the stock handlebar which is 690mm, but is feels very small. Tried out a 725mm on my friend's, and it's seems very nice. I'll try out 740 as well.

Planning to go with a shorter stem and wider bars.

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 8:13 Quote
Ussr wrote:
Question back out: Any difference in geometry between 2014 and 15?

Nope, it's the same frame for this year, just different finishing kit and colourways.

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 8:39 Quote
and no more overdrive 2....

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 10:56 Quote
math-05stp wrote:
and no more overdrive 2....
True, amen to that

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 12:00 Quote
alecdy wrote:

Depends on how the fit is now, does "steering ...is whack right now" mean too slow/light or too fast/twitchy?

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 16:51 Quote
SiSandro wrote:
mikingle wrote:

From my experience you definitely need one full volume spacer, some people stick even more in there. The base tune that Cane Creek recommends for the Trance is pretty good, I found my sweet spot with 1 turn less HSC and 1 click less LSC. I should mention that I run a 57mm stroke shock.
Thanks for the info i thought the volume reducer may be the case seem to be bottom out stroke easily on only small drops wasnt sure how this was goin to affect its action and looks like ill need to remove to do dont think the can will drop low enough while in frame

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 0:14 Quote
Thanks for the info i thought the volume reducer may be the case seem to be bottom out stroke easily on only small drops wasnt sure how this was goin to affect its action and looks like ill need to remove to do dont think the can will drop low enough while in frame[/Quote]

No need to remove the shock for that, it's a tight fit but the volume spacer is flexible enough so that you can squeeze it in.

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 9:16 Quote
SiSandro wrote:
Thanks for the info i thought the volume reducer may be the case seem to be bottom out stroke easily on only small drops wasnt sure how this was goin to affect its action and looks like ill need to remove to do dont think the can will drop low enough while in frame

No need to remove the shock for that, it's a tight fit but the volume spacer is flexible enough so that you can squeeze it in.[/Quote]

Ok good news thanks for the info will be goin in tomorrow thanks again

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012477
Mobile Version of Website