Top 5 rear shocks

PB Forum :: Downhill
Top 5 rear shocks
Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 12:16 Quote
uttanutta12 wrote:
marquis wrote:
taldfind wrote:
Pros are paid to WIN and make the bike look good by WINING. Any advantage they can get, they will take.

If that was the case they would all use air shocks,titanium in the weight i need and i won't make any weight savings at all and for the extra give it has the price simply isn't worth it.

Air isn't an advantage really, they get hot and then become stiffer and loose effectiveness very quickly. I feel if you knew what you were on about, i wouldn't have to tell you that.

I knew this hence why i won't buy an air shock but it doesn't stop pro's riding them,if you knew this i wouldn't have to tell you this.

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 12:17 Quote
marquis wrote:
marquis wrote:
taldfind wrote:
Pros are paid to WIN and make the bike look good by WINING. Any advantage they can get, they will take.

If that was the case they would all use air shocks,titanium in the weight i need and i won't make any weight savings at all and for the extra give it has the price simply isn't worth it.

I knew this hence why i won't buy an air shock but it doesn't stop pro's riding them,if you knew this i wouldn't have to tell you this.

You make no sense

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 12:21 Quote
uttanutta12 wrote:
marquis wrote:
marquis wrote:

You make no sense

So your initial quote was just pointless then.

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 12:22 Quote
Not really, you tried to make out that an air shock is an advantage, when it blates isn;t? lol

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 12:26 Quote
uttanutta12 wrote:
Not really, you tried to make out that an air shock is an advantage, when it blates isn;t? lol

He said any advantage,an air shock is half the weight nigh of a coil shock this is an advantage but they don't use them,so you tried to troll me but failed badly as you did when you tried trolling me with the scott voltage,maybe your trolling is going to far young ant and a stop needs to be put to it.

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 12:28 Quote
Sorry, but i'm not trolling you. I think you're wrong.

Weight isn't a sole advantage.

Air shocks are not an advantage as their performance decreases dramatically over the course of a run.

Ti springs are an advantage as they're just lightening the bike with no performance defects

You could make a car out of paper, it isn't an advantage just because it's lighter.

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 12:36 Quote
uttanutta12 wrote:
Sorry, but i'm not trolling you. I think you're wrong.

Weight isn't a sole advantage.

Air shocks are not an advantage as their performance decreases dramatically over the course of a run.

Ti springs are an advantage as they're just lightening the bike with no performance defects

You could make a car out of paper, it isn't an advantage just because it's lighter.

So instead of trying to be clever why not re read what i posted,an air shock would be an advantage due to it's weight savings but they don't as the ride chareteristics of a coil shock are better,or in your eagerness to own some one you over looked that ?

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 12:38 Quote
But......in the general scheme of things it isn't an advantage....thats why pro's don't usually run them........Which is my point?

I think maybe we're crossing wires a little. lol

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 12:40 Quote
uttanutta12 wrote:
But......in the general scheme of things it isn't an advantage....thats why pro's don't usually run them........Which is my point?

I think maybe we're crossing wires a little. lol

Which is what i was also pointing out,i haven't got my wires crossed.

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 12:43 Quote
Any advatage they can get they take

If that was case pro's would run air shock

but

Air shock not advantage hence coils dominate Very confused

Rendering 1st statement true, thus disproving 2nd statement which is what i was getting at?

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 13:13 Quote
the advantage being that you get a suspensision set up that isnt shit by the end of the run. the new v10 comes with a vivid air i believe but thats beasause its a weight weenies bike beacause its carbon. anyone who races uses coil beacause its an advantage to have a rear end that is predictable rather than siffening as the run wears on. if you were racing in the south where the runs are short (1-1,20 mins) then you might contemplate using an air shock beacause the run is not long enough to really wear on the shock that much.

Posted: Jan 23, 2012 at 16:27 Quote
IMO air shocks and DH dont mix.
not only do theyheat up, but they have more seals. meaning more friction, and less small bump complience.

Posted: Jan 23, 2012 at 18:06 Quote
except with air shocks, you can get a sweet pic of the bike on a scale
that's super important

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 4:42 Quote
thereisnospoon wrote:
except with air shocks, you can get a sweet pic of the bike on a scale
that's super important

No doubt!

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 7:12 Quote
I know its not a stock option but being that we almost all have a fox shock llying around and this shock shares no likeness to its original performance once modified it is definently on par with my avalanche. I've rode the modded stuff craig puts out as well and the fox has a better feel and performance than theother modded shocks ive tried.

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/Fox%20DHX/Fox%20DHX%205.0%20Speed%20Sensitive%20Adjuster%20Kit.htm

Although its been completely modified and basically just the body is stock here's a new addition to one of the best shocks I've beat on .
Craig at avalanche is doing a SSD tune/modification to the Fox DHX line and van r/RC.
Avalanche dhx ssd mod tune

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013746
Mobile Version of Website