Powered by Outside

Diabetic Riders

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 at 11:37 Quote
45 mg/Dl = 2.5 mmol/l. My biggest problem with midnight lows is waking up with an insatiable hunger that lasts half an hour. I'll eat way too much, forget half of what I ate when giving insulin before I go back to sleep, and waking up at 400 (22 mmol/l). For me, waking up low means zero self control!

Dmadness, damn! $1700! Damn!

Quitou, that's good that you're capable of waking from lows!

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 at 13:48 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:

For the most part, I don't know what the hell I'm doing with my sugar management. I have a comprehensive command of nutrition, and have always been extremely disciplined, but discovering all of the nuances of my own system has been tricky.

I'm eager to get it sorted. I do/did a ton of solo bikepacking trips prior to this mess. Not so sure that's a good idea anymore, but I'd like to work my way back into it.

I feel a million miles away from this guy who used to be me:

http://salsacycles.com/culture/bikepacking_iceland_trolls_elves_a_bucksaw_named_bjork

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 at 14:44 Quote
45 mg/Dl = 2.5 mmol/l. My biggest problem with midnight lows is waking up with an insatiable hunger that lasts half an hour. I'll eat way too much, forget half of what I ate when giving insulin before I go back to sleep, and waking up at 400 (22 mmol/l). For me, waking up low means zero self control!

Dmadness, damn! $1700! Damn!

this is so true! waking up low always leads to waking up very high later on...

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 at 14:51 Quote
griff369 wrote:
this is so true! waking up low always leads to waking up very high later on...

First world diabetic problems! If we lived in third world countries, we'd all be dead! Haha

Still irritating though. Some (most) days I wake up that high, I give myself insulin and then just go back to bed. No way I'm starting my day and facing the world feeling that shitty.

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 at 8:59 Quote
I do the same, I wake up low, drink juice.. then more... then I eat some toast.. go back to bed and wake up in the morning realizing that Im waaaaay high .

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 at 13:32 Quote
Same here... I generally try to take a couple glucose tabs, so I don't load up and wake up super high.
Have been know to pound a shit ton of crap when really low as well though!

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 at 14:39 Quote
The worst is when you stay low after dosing several times over an hour, and can't sleep because of it. I always figure my body wants some damn sugar at that point, and just finish the whole damn bottle of orange juice. Never works out in my favor haha

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 at 17:53 Quote
The worst is when you stay low after dosing several times over an hour, and can't sleep because of it. I always figure my body wants some damn sugar at that point, and just finish the whole damn bottle of orange juice. Never works out in my favor haha
That was me last night around midnight, it took about 45 mins and 10+ Dex4 before I rose above 5mmol, then took another hour or so to get back to sleep. Not sure if I was having a Lantus reaction or just delayed Rapid, since I was over 15mml before bed.

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 at 14:14 Quote
Ever get a pocket injection ? this is what I call it when you get an insulin injection into scar tissue, it takes a long time to be absorbed... ive had some crazy delayed lows due to stacked doses due to pocket injections.. ate a whole chocolate easter bunny in 1 sitting once due to this, no insulin required to level after,.

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 at 14:18 Quote
Wow, that's scary dmadness. Considering I've had some strange episodes of high blood sugar followed by hours of lows that need an inordinate amount of sugar to get through, I'd guess that I have.

Posted: Feb 29, 2016 at 11:12 Quote
dmadness wrote:
Ever get a pocket injection ? this is what I call it when you get an insulin injection into scar tissue, it takes a long time to be absorbed... ive had some crazy delayed lows due to stacked doses due to pocket injections.. ate a whole chocolate easter bunny in 1 sitting once due to this, no insulin required to level after,.
I'm thinking this may be what is happening in the past couple of weeks, since once I get my BS back to normal it's been pretty stable the rest of the day, so most likely it's not a Lantus reaction. I'm trying some different injection sites, though, my normal dinner-time injection site has been my upper arms, which don't have any obvious scar tissue.

Posted: Mar 3, 2016 at 18:07 Quote
I have a quick question for you guys. My endo wants me to get on a Medtronic pump. Is that going to be a PITA to ride with? I mostly do...or did...ulra-endurance rides. I'd like to get back to that.

Thoughts?

Posted: Mar 3, 2016 at 18:16 Quote
The medtronic is, in my opinion the best pump- for me at least. It's not as flashy or modern looking as other pumps. People WILL ask you if it's a pager. Lol. But! It's TOUGH! Minimed customer service is fantastic as well. Although it doesn't look modern, it's right up there in features. As far as riding with it, I usually disconnect mine and stash it in my camelbak. It's taken some solid hits and kept going; worries of breaking it isn't the reason I stash it. Generally, when I ride, I just don't need insulin. Especially on endurance rides, you're unlikely to need it. And if you do, it's a two second affair to reconnect it. Go for it man, you won't regret it! Let us know how the learning curve goes with using it! tup

Posted: Mar 3, 2016 at 23:51 Quote
there is a pump that has no tube also, the Omni-pod ( I think ) I don't know much about it.. im holding out for my animus ne though cause with the cgm its basically an external electric pancreas. got 2 plates and 12 screws removed from my ankle today after 4 years in there.. YAY!!

Posted: Mar 3, 2016 at 23:58 Quote
brianl wrote:
dmadness wrote:
I'm thinking this may be what is happening in the past couple of weeks, since once I get my BS back to normal it's been pretty stable the rest of the day, so most likely it's not a Lantus reaction. I'm trying some different injection sites, though, my normal dinner-time injection site has been my upper arms, which don't have any obvious scar tissue.

insulin is a fat metabolic. meaning that you are likely to have fattyer deposits and scar tissue in any injection sites over time. other possabilitys are insulin resistance, and the obvious but not so obvious hidden carbs. I had a "carb free" dinner today in hospital that my wife brought for me,,,, except the sauce, if your like me you can taste sugar in things in even subtle amounts, cgm told me 5 mins later that my suspicions were right, arrow on cgm went from level to 2 arrows up ( rapid rise ) also if you don't know about glucogen produced in the liver then do some homework, it can cause un known highs ( I was diabetic for 23 years before I knew about it . Salute

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012510
Mobile Version of Website