Powered by Outside

Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 7:44 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:
sosburn wrote:

no offense but magura is gross, don’t personally know a single person who can recommend their brakes.

Magura seems to have an odd fetish with plastic brake levers on €300 sets
here's a novel idea: replace the levers with something tougher.... Say, Zee?

With the odd setup that magura brake levers use I wouldn't be sure it would work even though magura does use mineral oil. And at that Pinot you might was well go full Shimano. What's so great about the Magura calipers?

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 7:46 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:

Magura seems to have an odd fetish with plastic brake levers on €300 sets

With the odd setup that magura brake levers use I wouldn't be sure it would work even though magura does use mineral oil. And at that Pinot you might was well go full Shimano. What's so great about the Magura calipers?
you get to use magura Race brake pads. Don't knock it till you try it, some of the best feeling brakes I've ever touched

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 7:48 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:
spaceofades wrote:

you get to use magura Race brake pads. Don't knock it till you try it, some of the best feeling brakes I've ever touched
Hmm never heard of those. Shame Magura uses individual piston pads so they can't be modified to fit Shimano of SRAM

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 7:49 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:

Hmm never heard of those. Shame Magura uses individual piston pads so they can't be modified to fit Shimano of SRAM
SRAM pads, magura calipers, shimano levers... Now that's a frankenbrake

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 7:52 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
you forgot Hope rotors cause they're the best at that game

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 8:18 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:

This will work fine. Love my XTR M9000 Race lever / Magura MT Trail caliper setup, and IIRC there are other PB members using similar MT7 and MT5 based setups.
The newer 1-finger levers for the MT range are a big improvement IMO - if I'd had them originally with my MT Trails I'm not sure if have bothered with the Shiguras.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 8:26 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:

This will work fine. Love my XTR M9000 Race lever / Magura MT Trail caliper setup, and IIRC there are other PB members using similar MT7 and MT5 based setups.
The newer 1-finger levers for the MT range are a big improvement IMO - if I'd had them originally with my MT Trails I'm not sure if have bothered with the Shiguras.

Yeah those HC3 levers sure are interesting. The leverage adjustment is a very useful adjustment if think

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:

Don't think hope rotors are 2.0 thick like the magura ones.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 9:42 Quote
dagzin wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:
spaceofades wrote:

Does rotor thickness really matter for whether this franken brake would work? pistons auto recess back from what ever the combined distance of L pad + rotor + R pad. Unless that total width is greater than the full travel of the pistons I would think it shouldn't matter. Has anyone tried to mix and match and actually encountered an issue?

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 9:57 Quote
Formula R0...

/Fanboy

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 9:58 Quote
iffy wrote:
Formula R0...

/Fanboy

I've liked all the Formula brakes I've run but they are finicky as hell.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
dagzin wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:
spaceofades wrote:

@spaceofades I think we've started something dangerous

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
Does anyone know how to change the headset angle on the Scott Gambler?

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 12:54 Quote
Looking for tire recommendations... I've got Conti Race Kings right now, and I'm taking a trip to Leavenworth this August... Xanadu etc, so probably STEEP and dusty... Maybe also Whistler later. Need beefy tires for cheap.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022507
Mobile Version of Website