Powered by Outside

Orange Patriot owners club

PB Forum :: Other
Orange Patriot owners club
Posted: Feb 14, 2014 at 12:12 Quote
Well back then people used smaller forks generally. 3 friends ride that style patriot. One with a Marz 55 Ti 160mm, one with a RS domain 180 and one with a RS boxxer 200.
In my buy and sell there is 140 and 180mm forks shown on a patriot same as 2002.

Posted: Feb 14, 2014 at 12:19 Quote
I rode mine 130mm and it was bang on.

Posted: Feb 14, 2014 at 12:37 Quote
I bought mine with 200mm boxxer and rode it once or twice like that and hated it. Very unresponsive steering and bad balance due to the raised bb.

Orange themselves said 150mm max,

I now have a 140mm revelation on and it's perfect.

So go around that area for overall ride quality.

Posted: Feb 14, 2014 at 16:19 Quote
if you go by what orange say then its 100-125 in 2002
On the 5th page down where the patriot is there is info in the bottom right

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/brochures/original/orange_mtb_2002.pdf

Orange would probably even argue bigger than that is okay Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posted: Feb 14, 2014 at 16:50 Quote
Then if you look at 2003 which had the 2 shock mounts for 5 or 6" travel says 100-150 and the 7+ patriot also came out in 2003 and that says 125-180

In 2005 the patriot 66 came out and had 6.9" rear travel in 05 brochure says 130-170 fork but then in 2006 brochure says 130-180 even though the frame was unchanged.

If people ride 130-160 on patriots comfortably even though the brochure says 125 for the early ones I'd say go with what you like.

Important factor when i think about it is not having too much up front compared to back so

If the 5-6 inch early ones then of course a 5-6 inch fork is fine, Its not uncommon to see a bike with 6 inch rear and 7 inch front or even vice versa,

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 1:46 Quote
a real do it all frame

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 1:48 Quote
Hi guys. Seanryan, did you manage to pull those frame bearings? I was just reading through the last couple of months an thought of something that might be perfect. A fly wheel tool for nitro rc cars is basically a bearing puller and could be just the thing all us patriot owners need when it comes to getting the blighters off... Just a thought.

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 2:35 Quote
Im gonna be 'bearing' that in mind incase for next time. Lmao

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 7:22 Quote
I don't understand? The frame is used to pull the bearings?

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 9:27 Quote
My take on what he said was if the swingarm is off but the bearings are stuck on the axle. You can then pull them off

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 at 4:59 Quote
You can get bearing pullers for about £10. Think Halfords sell them. If swingarm was taken off with bearings left then just refit the swingarm and proceed?

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 at 15:28 Quote
Hi.

Sort of new here, been coming to PB for ages but never really got involved on the forums until now.

I bought a Patriot frame of a good mate about 3 years ago, with the intent to build a min-Dh bike for Morzine trips.
the frame was well used by my mate, before he bought an Alpine 160. so I sent it off to Orange for them to re-spray it and install new pivot bearings.
I got it back from Orange and put it in the attic as I live in a small first-time buyer's box with no garage or much space.

I then sort of forgot about it.

About 3 months ago I thought I'd snapped the frame or air shock on my Spesh Pitch being a bit enthusiastic on a jump. I thought straight away 'I need a burlier bike' ( I'm 6' 2" and usually around 200 lbs ) and I remembered the Patriot.

So, I had a gander on the net and found some old forums of people trcking out old frames and stuff - then I found here. As I tend to be a bit lazy I thought If i document stuff it might give me the kick up the arse I need to get it done.

from this forum I've learned it's a 2003 frame from the serial number, and I downloaded that year's Orange brochure. I measured the top tube length and found that it's an 18" frame. Maybe a little small for me, but reading other people's posts it's not going to be much of an issue.

I'm a bit skint right now with other projects/life in general taking all my monthly disposable income - this build will be done a shoestring and parts will get upgraded when I can afford it.

I got the frame sprayed Neon Orange as my other bikes are a bit 'dull' ( all Speshs )

photo

photo

I managed to source a pair of 2008 Marzocchi 66 RC3 of another mate who had a Patriot but sold his as well. they are a bit chipped in the usual places, but buttery smooth

photo

I know the frame was only rated to 150mm, but there's no warranty to worry about and my Pitch has 150mm RockShoxs on - it's not enough.

I'm thinking of sourcing some parts from Superstar Components as they seem cheap. I've read middling reviews and some good ones in magazines - does anyone have any experience of their wheel builds? I'm thinking of some Mavic rims they do.

For drive train and stopping duties, I'll be buying Shimano Zee. Cheaper and do just as good a job as Saints from what I've read.

Any views/thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated as long as they are constructive.

Cheers,

Ste

Posted: Mar 5, 2014 at 2:43 Quote
My friend now has my red 05 patriot 66 frame posted previous, I now have this 07/08 patriot frame with few other changes. Just need renthals and different colour pedals now.

[PI=10680379 size=h align=c]07/08 Orange Patriot.
Fox Float 36 rc2 forks
Fox Float r ctd kashima trail adjust
Hope pro 2/ ex729
Shimano 10 speed zee drivechain
Shimano xt brakes/ rotors
Saint BB
Hussefelt stem
Funn Fatboy bars
SDG Bel air
DMR[/PI]

07 08 Orange Patriot. Fox Float 36 rc2 forks Fox Float r ctd kashima trail adjust Hope pro 2 ex729 Shimano 10 speed zee drivechain Shimano xt brakes rotors Saint BB Hussefelt stem Funn Fatboy bars SDG Bel air DMR
07 08 Orange Patriot. Fox Float 36 rc2 forks Fox Float r ctd kashima trail adjust Hope pro 2 ex729 Shimano 10 speed zee drivechain Shimano xt brakes rotors Saint BB Hussefelt stem Funn Fatboy bars SDG Bel air DMR
2007 2008 patriot fox 36 float rc2 float ctd trail adjust. full zee xt brakes hope hubs etc.

Posted: Mar 5, 2014 at 17:42 Quote
Bonjourno boys,
Bikes been on the backburner a bit lately due to Xmas and 3 kids but back onto it now. so far it's like this;

Frame: Orange Patriot 7+, New bearings fitted and powder coat
Forks:
Aheadset: FSA Big Pig
Rear Derailer: Shimano Zee
Casette: SRAM PG1050 10spd 12-32
Handlebars: Answer DH Pro Taper
Shifters: Shimano Zee 1x10
Rear Shock: Fox Vanilla RC
Chain: KMC X10sl Gold
Crankset: Shimano Zee
Pedals: Shimano Saint
Gear Cable: Jagwire
Stem: Truvativ Hussefelt 60mm
Saddle: Nukeproof Plasma Ti
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Saint, Hollowtech II
Grips: Troy Lee ODI Lock Ons

Still need to get proper forks and wheels. I've got Avid brakes but tempted to wait and get some Hope's. Gone for a Red white and black scheme with the White frame, red cabling and grips and silver/black de-cals. Starting to look like a real stunner now! I'll get some pics up this weekend Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021245
Mobile Version of Website