The Official Neck Brace discussion group

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Official Neck Brace discussion group
O+
Posted: May 15, 2016 at 19:39 Quote
Having never ridden with a neck brace, I was wondering how do I know either one fits correctly. I recently tried on braces from both atlas and leatt and they all felt a bit awkward and as off they would bounce around a bit. Is this normal, or should they be firm on your chest and not move.

Posted: May 15, 2016 at 20:49 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
Having never ridden with a neck brace, I was wondering how do I know either one fits correctly. I recently tried on braces from both atlas and leatt and they all felt a bit awkward and as off they would bounce around a bit. Is this normal, or should they be firm on your chest and not move.

They will move around a little, but should be snug. Many people (including myself) run the straps on them so they stay in place.

Posted: May 19, 2016 at 19:25 Quote
tf02 wrote:
Giladgu wrote:

They will move around a little, but should be snug. Many people (including myself) run the straps on them so they stay in place.

Yeah, if it's a little loose you can run straps and if you wear body armour I bet you could find things that hook the brace to the armour and keep it in place. As far as feeling awkward goes you'll get used to it pretty soon, I hardly notice mine. I've been glad I had it couple times also.

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 7:01 Quote
Does anyone know if there any differences between the 2015 and 2016 Leatt Dbx 5.5s?

I can't see any from pictures, but having to buy online so can't inspect it in person

Posted: Aug 14, 2016 at 19:32 Quote
Pete-YT wrote:
Does anyone know if there any differences between the 2015 and 2016 Leatt Dbx 5.5s?

I can't see any from pictures, but having to buy online so can't inspect it in person
Sorry for the late reply but there isn't too much difference other than a few minor changes... The back folds in when you take it off so you can store it easier, it's also more slim and a bit lighter. Honestly I don't really see a serious difference, I would just go with whichever one you want.
I realize that you probably already bought oneSmile

Posted: Sep 17, 2016 at 13:35 Quote
I wanted to keep this going for anyone who comes across this thread. I ordered a Leatt GPX 4.5 and a DBX 4.5 so I could try both on, see them both, then decide which to keep. I went into this thinking I'd keep the GPX so I could use it in both motocross and downhill mtb. Here's what I found:

DBX = Bicycle neck brace
GPX = Off-road neck brace

The DBX has OUTLINED Leatt decals and says DBX profile on the padding at the rear of the collar. and is shown on the right in the first few pictures. The GPX has FILLED IN Leatt decals and says 4.5 on padding at the rear of the collar and is shown on the left in the first few pictures. The first group of photos after the side by side comparison are the DBX, then comes GPX.

According to leatt the GPX and DBX are both built on the same frame but with different padding. I found this to be true. But only some of the padding is different. The majority of it is the same. All of the padding in the front of the collar (anterior to clips), the chest padding, and the padding on the downward back extensions is all the same. The differences are in the padding on top of the rear of the collar and on the lateral areas (that touch or are near to the neck).

photo

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

Here is the DBX 4.5 (Bicycle Neck Brace)
photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo
  kent sproket

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo
  Justin dropping off on Cypress.

And the GPX 4.5 (Off-road brace) for comparison

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Location GPX 4.5 DBX 4.5
Lateral arm width 52 51
Lateral arm height (posterior) 28 29
Lateral arm height (anterior) 33 34
Rear collar thickness at periphery 7 9

**I think one of the most important measurements is that which is not pictured. 65mm from the periphery of the rear collar toward the center, the width of both braces is the same at 7mm. This is the area of the collar that your helmet will hit in the event your head thrusts backward.

If you look at how small the differences are in these numbers, the width of your helmets padding and shell will play a role in if any restrictive differences are felt when riding. I ride with a fly racing motocross helmet and I could feel no subjective difference between the 2 collars when riding around my street simulating different body positions. Even if the lateral arm heights 1mm difference is objectively there, I could not feel any real difference.

Additionally, the padding present on both seems to be of the same density.

What is counter-intuitive is that the DBX measurements are generally bigger (the padding is thicker). In MTB you are more crouched than in mx so you would think you need more range of movement. In fact, I contacted Leatt before I got these and this was their response: "More mobility is needed for bicycles because of riding in a tucked position where you are looking up more and having more contact of your helmet with the rear portion of the neck brace." The measurement of rear collar thickness at the periphery doesn't really matter bc your helmet will not be hitting this when your head moves back. It will be contacting the center of the rear collar where I measured 7mm thickness in BOTH braces. But again, The thickness of the helmet will determine then the shell of the helmet makes contact with the brace in a collision. Then the thickness of the padding on the brace and in the helmet will determine how fast or slow the impact is absorbed.

In my personal opinion these braces are too similar for a true difference to be felt. The biggest flaw of my testing (other than it being highly unscientific and not even being a field test) is that I only used 1 helmet. And it was a motocross helmet. If a full face helmet was not as far extended down the head (neck). Fly racing Kinetic, size medium. Or it was thinner at its distal edge, then it would contact the brace later upon impact.

Which do I keep? This is a tough one, bc I personally believe it does not matter. Both will do the same job. and the differences are just so minimal. The good news is that these braces are the same price, as they should be.

It should be noted that this "test" was done simply for a comparison (unscientifically at that) for personal interest and I am not condoning any brace to be used for what is was not designed for and what the manufacturer indicated its use. Any decisions are left up to the buyer.

Thoughts?

Posted: Sep 17, 2016 at 13:42 Quote
I knew guys who have been using DBX braces for Motocross and didn't found any problems wearing it,they never felt any major differences between GPX vs DBX braces for MX use.

Posted: Sep 17, 2016 at 21:17 Quote
Holy number of photos batman.

I asked this same question to Leatt themselves when I was buying my neck brace, because I ride DH and moto. They recommended a DBX, and that's what I've been wearing ever since. I have a DBX5.5 and I use it with a Dissident for DH, and a Fox V2 for moto.

Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 14:36 Quote
I just started riding downhill this year have my own bike etc..... I don't race typically ride blues and single black diamond trails. at what point should I start looking at or buying a neck brace...

Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 15:02 Quote
your call. but when you're coming off once a ride at least pushing the boundaries of your skill level, thats when i would get one

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 15:04 Quote
always! iv seen people sustain serious neck injuries off of small features without pushing. You never know when a serious crash can happen. better be safe than sorry

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 18:37 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
always! iv seen people sustain serious neck injuries off of small features without pushing. You never know when a serious crash can happen. better be safe than sorry

Agreed! If you're already considering one, get it now. Get used to it. And then it just feels normal to wear one, like a helmet. There is no "starting point" for using safety gear.

Posted: Oct 19, 2016 at 21:59 Quote
Might as well get one now. I ride with my brace even when I know I wont be in the air. If i'm riding downhill, i ride with a brace.

Posted: Oct 19, 2016 at 22:59 Quote
My motto is ... if you're wearing a full face, you should be wearing a neck brace.

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 at 3:52 Quote
I'm definitely in the air.... Jumping is my favorite part.... Looks like a neck brace is in order then!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.075598
Mobile Version of Website