Powered by Outside

Diabetic Riders

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 12:19 Quote
Definitely, thanks! Seems like every time it happens, I freak out, "oh shit! Am I becoming brittle?? All those years of not keeping a logbook, damnit damnit damnit!!!" And then after a couple days, it goes away haha

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 19:20 Quote
dmadness wrote:
that you were dehydrated is interesting, as your boody usually flushes out ketones by making you really thirsty and having to piss a lot... but they shouldn't be there if your sugars are not running high a lot

I guess my ketones are now not an issue. Could have been faulty strips. New strips didn't show anything to be worried about. Sheesh. This shit will make a guy bonkers.

I did get a new endo today and he's a cool guy, very helpful, and spent more time asking about me than talking about him. I feel good about it.

So, should I be keeping a log book?

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 20:48 Quote
Sweet! Even more so than a cgm or a pump, I feel that a logbook is a diabetics best tool in his arsenal. Use it, study trends, fine tune your insulin dosing and exercising/eating habits. It'll make you live longer Smile

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 15:04 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:
Sweet! Even more so than a cgm or a pump, I feel that a logbook is a diabetics best tool in his arsenal. Use it, study trends, fine tune your insulin dosing and exercising/eating habits. It'll make you live longer Smile
Hmmm... I kept training logs for about 20 years and was relieved to give that up a couple of years ago. Guess it's back to the logbook.

What should I be recording other than the obvious BG levels and insulin dosages?

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 15:15 Quote
Carbs eaten, the glycemic index/glycemic load of what you ate, exercise duration, intensity, and type (anerobic vs aerobic), naps, any stressful events, both good and bad. It seems like a lot, but all of these things will influence your bs one way or the other..

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 3:36 Quote
Medications too. A lot of mine affect my BS. I think stress is the biggest factor for my variations lately. It will be downhill season soon....

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 8:37 Quote
Does anyone here have any experience with the OmniPod pump?

Looking into making the jump to the pump. I have a friend who uses this pump, however he is not an active cyclist.
I am curious how secure it is and if anyone has had any issue with delivery?

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 10:20 Quote
Is that the one tyat is sepf contained and sticks to you?? I dont have one but i wear a patch for my cgm and can say that it is pretty secure ( some have reactions to the adhesives though ) and if im doing anything in water i have a peice of lycra spandex that i pull over my upper arm like asleve to make sure i dont w lose my 1000$ peice of tech. In the water should the adhesive fail.

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 10:26 Quote
dmadness wrote:
Is that the one tyat is sepf contained and sticks to you?? I dont have one but i wear a patch for my cgm and can say that it is pretty secure ( some have reactions to the adhesives though ) and if im doing anything in water i have a peice of lycra spandex that i pull over my upper arm like asleve to make sure i dont w lose my 1000$ peice of tech. In the water should the adhesive fail.

Thanks!

Yes, it is self contained w/adhesive and supposedly waterproof...
How do you like it on your arm? ...most I know where on their abdomen.

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 12:28 Quote
well the thing I wear is not quite as large as the pump ( its just a CGM ) but it stays there pretty good on its own, when I went to costa rica I had to re install the sensors more often cause I sweat like a whore in church when im near the equator. the only time I really was carefull with it though like I said was when I went in the water, you could always make something to help keep it secure there but my understanding is that you replace these ( pumps ) every 3 days and they come with the whole sha bang ( except the hand control that works with the pump ) so even if you lost one it wouldn't be a $1000 price tag. also, if you get anything medical that sticks to your body I cannot stress enough how important 3-m tape is... that shit is amazing for re securing things that come loose.

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 13:08 Quote
dmadness wrote:
well the thing I wear is not quite as large as the pump ( its just a CGM ) but it stays there pretty good on its own, when I went to costa rica I had to re install the sensors more often cause I sweat like a whore in church when im near the equator. the only time I really was carefull with it though like I said was when I went in the water, you could always make something to help keep it secure there but my understanding is that you replace these ( pumps ) every 3 days and they come with the whole sha bang ( except the hand control that works with the pump ) so even if you lost one it wouldn't be a $1000 price tag. also, if you get anything medical that sticks to your body I cannot stress enough how important 3-m tape is... that shit is amazing for re securing things that come loose.

Ah, missed the CGM part... Considered getting just the monitor, but an all-in-one package sounds like a better option for me.
(minus the $2K initial investment!... Damn scoundrels!)

Thanks for the info though! Trying to get as much info together as possible, to make a decision before my next Endo appt.
What kind of 3M tape do you recommend? ...they have a few varieties.

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 14:21 Quote
Do you like the omnipod compared to traditional pumps, or do you want it because your buddy has it? I've never used it, but I'm wary of it. If you're out riding, and want to disconnect your pump and throw it in your backpack for protection and/or to eliminate the possibility of it giving you insulin while you ride, you can't- it's stuck to you. You can't see the injection site, to monitor for redness indicating it's time to change the injection site. There's a bulky box glued to you at all times. With a traditional pump with a tube, the bulk of all that is in your pocket, not glued to you. And this is a personal thing, but I am hugely not a fan of the automated, all in one style of the omnipod. You may like it though, and if so, give it a shot. I'd look up some unbiased reviews first, and see if anyone else has successfully used it in contact sports or cycling.

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 14:33 Quote
Do you like the omnipod compared to traditional pumps, or do you want it because your buddy has it? I've never used it, but I'm wary of it. If you're out riding, and want to disconnect your pump and throw it in your backpack for protection and/or to eliminate the possibility of it giving you insulin while you ride, you can't- it's stuck to you. You can't see the injection site, to monitor for redness indicating it's time to change the injection site. There's a bulky box glued to you at all times. With a traditional pump with a tube, the bulk of all that is in your pocket, not glued to you. And this is a personal thing, but I am hugely not a fan of the automated, all in one style of the omnipod. You may like it though, and if so, give it a shot. I'd look up some unbiased reviews first, and see if anyone else has successfully used it in contact sports or cycling.

Yes, I get that it is person preference...I like that it is wireless/self contained and not tied to a hose. He is my only other diabetic friend, so I have a limited personal resource pool.
...agreed not digging the idea of a box stuck to me all the time, but may be worth it.
It does give you the ability/option to crank down the insulin before you exercise/ride, etc.

I have looked up/read quite a few reviews, as usual both good and bad, not many about being an avid cyclist, lots of runners and such. Except for one, "the diabetic cyclist" who raves about the OmniPod.
So, I posted the question here to see if anyone with a similar biking lifestyle has been using it and get their impression.

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 15:33 Quote
Hmmmm. Do you wreck much?

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 16:04 Quote
Hmmmm. Do you wreck much?

Define, much? Yes, I take the occasional tumble.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015404
Mobile Version of Website