Photographers of Pinkbike-READ THE OP

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Photographers of Pinkbike-READ THE OP
Posted: Oct 28, 2022 at 2:18 Quote
Yeah I've zero intentions of shooting mountain biking again, I got back into it because I needed a hobby that didn't revolve around cameras. I didn't know Pinkbike had been acquired.

Mostly shooting street on my Leica M4 for personal work.

Commerical work is varied but a lot of drinks brands and hospitality groups.

Usually shooting Canon R5/C if the job calls for it. That new RF glass is amazing but they've locked down the mount so not sure if I'll continue investing.

Posted: Nov 7, 2022 at 14:50 Quote
Does anyone have any recommendations for cameras? The Sony a6000 I was using has finally given up the ghost (the shutter blades I think are broken). I would be happy shooting just with my film cameras, the only problem is I don't see the images for a year since I stockpile exposed rolls and then when I have enough I develop them all at once.

I am not sure what system to go with, but I like the look of the Fuji GFX50R, they have a reasonable price, especially used ones, and I can very easily (and cheaply) adapt vintage medium format lenses onto it. The price for it and some lenses would be around $4,500-5,000 CAD which is not too far off of what I would pay for a A7R IV or a Sony A7C with at least two good lenses.

If anyone has any tips or recommendations I would be grateful.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2022 at 15:33 Quote
Sethsg wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for cameras? The Sony a6000 I was using has finally given up the ghost (the shutter blades I think are broken). I would be happy shooting just with my film cameras, the only problem is I don't see the images for a year since I stockpile exposed rolls and then when I have enough I develop them all at once.

I am not sure what system to go with, but I like the look of the Fuji GFX50R, they have a reasonable price, especially used ones, and I can very easily (and cheaply) adapt vintage medium format lenses onto it. The price for it and some lenses would be around $4,500-5,000 CAD which is not too far off of what I would pay for a A7R IV or a Sony A7C with at least two good lenses.

I haven't tried the GF system but I really enjoy my Fuji X-T3 (and the old X-T1 before that). Great having external control dials etc instead of scrolling through menus to change things.

As a film user I imagine you would appreciate the more classical feel/operation of a Fuji. I know Sony have some great sensors but the Sony cameras I've played with (not many to be fair) have been very 'digital' in their operation - lots of looking at menus and the screen for settings, while I find Fuji more intuitive to keep your attention on the subject rather than the camera.

Posted: Nov 7, 2022 at 16:01 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
Sethsg wrote:

I haven't tried the GF system but I really enjoy my Fuji X-T3 (and the old X-T1 before that). Great having external control dials etc instead of scrolling through menus to change things.

As a film user I imagine you would appreciate the more classical feel/operation of a Fuji. I know Sony have some great sensors but the Sony cameras I've played with (not many to be fair) have been very 'digital' in their operation - lots of looking at menus and the screen for settings, while I find Fuji more intuitive to keep your attention on the subject rather than the camera.
Thanks,
I have read that Fuji cameras have some of the best controls because they are mainly physical dials and buttons which means you don't have to dig into the camera's menu to change them. The look of the sensor/colour sience that Fuji has, appeals to me. I borrowed a Nikon from someone once and what stood out to me was how boring and digital the images were in terms of colour and feel, which made me need to edit the colours and other things quite a bit to get them how I liked.

How well do you find the fuji cameras do in low light, high ISO situations? That is where Sony's cameras stand out, even with my old a6000 I could go up to 3,200 ISO and have minimal noise in the image.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2022 at 17:33 Quote
The X-T3 is an APSC sensor so probably won't compete with full-frame (or medium format like the GF)for high iso performance, but its pretty good. I have a Nikon D7200 (also APSC sensor size) as well and they both have pretty similar low light performance, miles ahead of other cameras I had before them.

Both a couple of camera generations old now (Fuji just released the X-T5) so it would be interesting to see how much things have moved on since then, but they do the job.

Here is an example from the X-T3 at ISO 3200 (with a slow lens in poor light):

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2niPL8L][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52053883834_17308bfd1f_h.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2niPL8L]NZ Robin[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/gravelben/]Ben[/url], on Flickr

Ahh forgot Punkbike doesn't do bb format embedding the way other forums do... you might have to click through to see it:

https://flic.kr/p/2niPL8L

Posted: Nov 8, 2022 at 19:47 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
The X-T3 is an APSC sensor so probably won't compete with full-frame (or medium format like the GF)for high iso performance, but it is pretty good. I have a Nikon D7200 (also APSC sensor size) as well and they both have pretty similar low-light performance, miles ahead of other cameras I had before them.

Both are a couple of camera generations old now (Fuji just released the X-T5) so it would be interesting to see how much things have moved on since then, but they do the job.

Here is an example from the X-T3 at ISO 3200 (with a slow lens in poor light):

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2niPL8L][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52053883834_17308bfd1f_h.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2niPL8L]NZ Robin[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/gravelben/]Ben[/url], on Flickr

Ahh forgot Punkbike doesn't do bb format embedding the way other forums do... you might have to click through to see it:

https://flic.kr/p/2niPL8L
Okay, thanks, for going to the trouble of sharing the image it does seem to have pretty good low-light capabilities.

(side note) I am not super sold on the whole argument that full frame sensors provide better image quality than APS-C sensors, the size difference is not huge either. One thing that I really found useful with the APS-C is speed boosters, I can get a 35mm lens and stick it on the speed booster, which will compress the image so it actually fits onto the sensor and I won’t have any image cut off, but the biggest benefit is it drastically improves low light performance. I have an 85mm f 1.5 but with the speed booster, the light that makes it onto the sensor is equivalent to if I used an f 1.0 lens.

Of course, a medium format sensor is where there will be drastic changes in image quality and feel.

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 12:03 Quote
I’m a pretty die-hard Fuji convert at this point. I find their APSC offerings work perfectly for my needs (even better than FF did). If I ever have to have that super shallow 3D look for portraits or whatever, the 50mm f1 is more than satisfying. I am addicted to creating different film sim recipes, which has almost become its own side hobby. Lots of groups dedicated to just that alone. It’s amazing what you can get straight OOC in a Jpeg from Fuji; people assume the photos have been heavily edited in post.

My friend was a medium format Fuji shooter, the 80mm 1.7 rendered some fantastic images. His issue was the AF, it just really was lacking.

As it pertains to high ISO performance, I saw an interesting comparison a while back between Fuji APSC, Sony FF, and Fuji Medium format. The FF was actually closer to APSC than you would think, and medium format was in a league of its own.

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 14:37 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
I’m a pretty die-hard Fuji convert at this point. I find their APSC offerings work perfectly for my needs (even better than FF did). If I ever have to have that super shallow 3D look for portraits or whatever, the 50mm f1 is more than satisfying. I am addicted to creating different film sim recipes, which has almost become its own side hobby. Lots of groups dedicated to just that alone. It’s amazing what you can get straight OOC in a Jpeg from Fuji; people assume the photos have been heavily edited in post.

My friend was a medium format Fuji shooter, the 80mm 1.7 rendered some fantastic images. His issue was the AF, it just really was lacking.

As it pertains to high ISO performance, I saw an interesting comparison a while back between Fuji APSC, Sony FF, and Fuji Medium format. The FF was actually closer to APSC than you would think, and medium format was in a league of its own.
The film simulations do look like they could be quite helpful once you find one that works. The AF doesn't really matter I mainly use old MF lenses on my digital and mostly MF on my film cameras.

The only problem that I have with the Fuji lenses is they don't seem to have any really wide-angle lenses, though I suppose I could always use a speed-boster.

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 18:24 Quote
I would say you are correct in that there is a lack of native wide angle primes. They do make some nice wide angle zooms, though.

You can save up to 7 different sims, so you can switch between recipes as needed. The XT4 has two card slots, so I shoot jpeg to one card & raw to the other. 95% of the time for daily shots, the jpeg is great. Then if I get a specific shot I really want to push, I still have the raw if I want it.

I will probably be picking up the new XT5 once I can play around with one and see how it performs.

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 18:38 Quote
Not sure about the GF series, for the X-series they make a handful of nice wide angles.

I have the 14mm f2.8 which is lovely (probably my favourite Fuji lens), the 16mm f1.4 and 10-24mm zoom have a great rep too.

I find its more the longer telephoto range where Fuji are lacking options, which is the main reason I still use my Nikon for motorsport and wildlife etc that needs longer lenses.

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 18:56 Quote
I would say lenses have been somewhat the limiting factor for Fuji, but that is quickly being remedied. Fuji has released a lot of new glass recently along with updated versions of their old glass. There is also a bunch of 3rd party lenses hitting the market. People are RAVING about the Voltrox 13mm 1.4, and allegedly the Fuji 18mm 1.4 is a fantastic lens, as well. I am still rocking the original 16 1.4, but I am interested to try those other lenses. Tamron is offering some new telephoto options for Fuji now. I picked up the 18-300 and it’s pretty sweet for an all-in-one. No FF lens offers that level of range.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Sigma 1.4 trinity to someone, amazing lenses for the price. Stick those on an XS10 and for well under 2 grand you have a reeeeally solid setup that will not be limiting in any way.

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 6:11 Quote
I primarily use the Rokinon 12mm 2.0 on my XE-1 and love it. The Voltrox looks really big (compared to that one), but the AF does look nice. There's also the Venus Optics Laowa 10mm 4.0 pancake lens, which is really small (BH link). And then a number of other wide angle options (link to BH with some filters).

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 11:15 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
Not sure about the GF series, for the X-series they make a handful of nice wide angles.

I have the 14mm f2.8 which is lovely (probably my favourite Fuji lens), the 16mm f1.4 and 10-24mm zoom have a great rep too.

I find its more the longer telephoto range where Fuji are lacking options, which is the main reason I still use my Nikon for motorsport and wildlife etc that needs longer lenses.

I would most likely adapt old medium format film camera lenses. there are some excellent Pentax 67 lenses.

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 11:15 Quote
Has anyone tried the x100v?

Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 7:10 Quote
Sethsg wrote:
Has anyone tried the x100v?

Yes.

One of the best cameras on the market. Good luck getting one though.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028719
Mobile Version of Website