How to get WD40 out of brake pad / off rotor

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to get WD40 out of brake pad / off rotor
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 at 10:36 Quote
If you absolutely are going to do that idiotic thing... roast it like a frozen pizza.
225 degrees celsius in the oven for 10-15 min. And don't cool it down it water, just let it cool down by itself.

Posted: Oct 28, 2010 at 10:40 Quote
DO NOT cool it down in water.. It could cause it to warp.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 at 10:42 Quote
staikeinthahood wrote:
If you absolutely are going to do that idiotic thing... roast it like a frozen pizza.
225 degrees celsius in the oven for 10-15 min. And don't cool it down it water, just let it cool down by itself.
no not in the oven will stink like shat in there . plus could be unhealthy to cook in there.
you could also just ride the brakes down a massive hill. that should burn it off.
when i burned mine it was to get fork oil off em.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 at 10:56 Quote
a propane blow torch, just keep the heatsource far away enough, or my best friend, a heatgun.

Posted: Oct 28, 2010 at 11:10 Quote
ok, so rather then go out and spend $20 or less on new pads and just clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol that is found in most homes, you guy's would rather burn, bake or use some chemicals not intended for use with bicycle brake pads to try to use them again? Facepalm

Posted: Oct 28, 2010 at 11:11 Quote
burning the pads works if you do it right away, if the oil soaks it might be too late

Posted: Oct 28, 2010 at 11:18 Quote
Ok, I have probably been going a little too fast. Replace the pads with new ones! And torch your rotor if you want to, even though I would call it idiotic and rub it with my dear disc brake cleaner then water... that's what I usually do and it works a treat.

Posted: Oct 28, 2010 at 19:27 Quote
lostinsolitarythought wrote:
ok, so rather then go out and spend $20 or less on new pads and just clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol that is found in most homes, you guy's would rather burn, bake or use some chemicals not intended for use with bicycle brake pads to try to use them again? Facepalm

um yeah...fire is awesome

Posted: Oct 28, 2010 at 20:01 Quote
when i got fork oil on my rotor and pads i used my zippo lighter and a pliers to heat the oil out of the pads and washed the rotor in the kitchen sink... worked a treat too

Posted: Oct 28, 2010 at 21:19 Quote
i really don't understand why people think that bike brakes are SOOOOOO much different than car brakes... they're not...

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 at 3:14 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
i really don't understand why people think that bike brakes are SOOOOOO much different than car brakes... they're not...

yup pretty much exactly the same.

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 at 6:43 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:

did anywhere in my post did I say that bike disc brakes are any different then automotive brakes??

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 at 6:45 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
ok, so rather then go out and spend $20 or less on new pads and just clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol that is found in most homes, you guy's would rather burn, bake or use some chemicals not intended for use with bicycle brake pads to try to use them again? BECAUSE CAR BRAKES ARE TOTALLY DIFFERNT THAN BIKE BRAKES EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW THIS!!! Facepalm

did anywhere in my post did I say that bike disc brakes are any different then automotive brakes??

yea you did right there....^^^^

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 at 6:48 Quote
Taken from Avid Elixir manual.

Do not allow any brake fluid to come in contact with the brake rotors. If this occurs, clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol.
Do not allow any brake fluid to come in contact with the brake pads. If this occurs, the pads are contaminated and must be replaced.

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 at 6:48 Quote
Icculus19425 wrote:
Infiltrator wrote:

yea you did right there....^^^^

ahh...your clever...lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011963
Mobile Version of Website