Powered by Outside

203mm on my XC bike?

• Next Page
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 0:43 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
nwd26 wrote:
PedalUpBombDown wrote:

acctually you're both wrong. 26in. = 660.4mm. google it.

...you're both missing my point. 640 was just a guess.

You were closer to the mark. 640 is about right.

Than it's a 640mm rotor F/R,But i saw it and it's so huge,You can't find a bigger rotor than that.The only run a 2 piston brake on it F/R.

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 1:06 Quote
Alrighty.. the standard conversion is 25.4 so... 26(inches) X 25.4(mm/inch) = 660.4mm

And as for disk size. 8' is probably overkill for xc unless your breaks are fading on you because of heat. bigger rotors get bent easier be heaver and cost more. Your profile says your from Onterrible so 6 inchers should be plenty unless your dhing your xc bike.. even then. I one finger break my bike even on the dh days and I'm about 185lbs all geared up and riding a 40+lb bike and never have problems. SEE flat ol'Ontario has it's up sides... it's easy on breaks.

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 3:59 Quote
skid wrote:
Alrighty.. the standard conversion is 25.4 so... 26(inches) X 25.4(mm/inch) = 660.4mm

And as for disk size. 8' is probably overkill for xc unless your breaks are fading on you because of heat. bigger rotors get bent easier be heaver and cost more. Your profile says your from Onterrible so 6 inchers should be plenty unless your dhing your xc bike.. even then. I one finger break my bike even on the dh days and I'm about 185lbs all geared up and riding a 40+lb bike and never have problems. SEE flat ol'Ontario has it's up sides... it's easy on breaks.

Read the rest of the thread. We've already established that the actual RIM size is around 640!!

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 7:50 Quote
Holtzman wrote:
I run 203 mm rotors and ride some XC. It is overkill. 203 mm rotors are really noisy compared to 160 or 180s, and you need a 20mm axle to mount them anyway. If you have a 20mm axle and do AM, though, you could get into a situation where the power and modulation are helpful.

....what? how is upping to a larger size noisier? you probably needed to align your calipers properly or the rotor wasn't bedded in properly yet... or you used a different kind of rotor.

and i'm not too sure about the 20mm axle -> 203 thing... that would mean 203mm rotors come in different sizes at the mount, and they don't.... there's no differentiation between front and rear rotors either...

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 7:58 Quote
what i means is that you are going to need a special adapter thats going to be hard to find
also your fork may not be able to handle the power from a 203mm rotor. there is only 1 fork on the market that is qr that i would trust to run a 203mm rotor

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 8:03 Quote
spag wrote:
what i means is that you are going to need a special adapter thats going to be hard to find
also your fork may not be able to handle the power from a 203mm rotor. there is only 1 fork on the market that is qr that i would trust to run a 203mm rotor

that *you* would trust to run a 203mm. there are people out there who would only trust a dual crown 888 to take a 4 foot drop to flat (i'm talking about someone specific on pinkbike).

anyhow, the only adapter you need is a 203mm adapter for the caliper mount, not for the rotor - the rotor mounts exactly the same as any other rotor (let's not get into centerlock). there are probably lots of standard dropout forks out there that can handle 203mm.. rockshox revelation, fox 32s (float and vanilla esp.), dirt jumpers, anything that's strong and yet still has qr.

although the person i quoted in my last post is right to a point, there are barely any bikes that come stock with a 203mm rotor in front that aren't 20mm thru axle as well. in fact, i haven't seen any.

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 8:08 Quote
after killing the crown of a fox fork i would not trust it with a 203 rotor. the station separated from the crowns because of the flex generated from a 203 rotor doing a bit of light downhill.

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 8:27 Quote
You can run any 203mm rotor on any disc hub,why do you think those first junior T's came out with QR.There's no need to have a specific 20mm hub for 203mm rotors.

Posted: Dec 22, 2007 at 11:26 Quote
Also sorry to gravedig but I just came back from a trip having thought about this, but the power of the actual brake matters too. A V2 Moto will be overkill, but a less powerful brake will be fine.

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 16:22 Quote
Just read all the posts, sad but it's late and I don't have anything better to do, and only one of you has mentioned body weight. If you're light, 150-185lb(ish), I suppose they'd be ok but what about heavyweights 220lb+? Confused Also, tyre choice would help (another topic maybe?).Moon

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 16:44 Quote
Rim brakes cause just as much flex on the fork as a disc brake...

Unless you set your brakes to never lock up no matter how hard you pull, you will get the same flex.

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 16:54 Quote
trekrules wrote:
203mm rotors isn't that overkill,i saw a XC bike with 650mm disc rotors(i'm not joking).

u got a pic of that?

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 17:24 Quote
williampieroway wrote:
trekrules wrote:
203mm rotors isn't that overkill,i saw a XC bike with 650mm disc rotors(i'm not joking).

u got a pic of that?

The concept is from buellWink .
photo
https://ep5.pinkbike.org/photo/990/pbpic990849.jpg
photo
https://ep4.pinkbike.org/photo/1065/pbpic1065048.jpg

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 17:27 Quote
I bet that's heavy.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.745245
Mobile Version of Website